Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
The reason I was going with the Pond block is that I was told it is a very close copy of the original 427 SO block. I was also told that Genesis was having problems with their block, but have since been told that they have corrected it. Does anyone know which block looks more "correct?" "Correctness" is very important to me, with this car. I am not after hp at high rpm. I want my useable power to be in the 3000 - 6000 rpm range. He suggested I go with the Stage one heads, to get the hp at a lower rpm.
If you can find an aluminum Genesis block... you'll find them closer to the "factory look" than the Pond. The big difference is the Pond has slightly "enlarged" external water jackets ( I like the thought of extra cooling capabilities), more so then Genesis and factory 427s. I went with the Pond 482" for several reasons.. Their aluminum blocks are tried n' true, Keith's built many a one and I've yet to hear any negative about the Pond blocks. There have been a lot of rumors about the problems halting production of the Genesis aluminum blocks, enough to instill doubt and convince me to look elsewhere.. The Shelby aluminum is available and somewhat pricier than the other offerings.. It's a personal thing with me; I don't trust Carol or his blocks.. His heads are somewhat contrary when it comes to working in conjunction with other MFR's products too.. I've also heard that Genesis got their aluminum block poop in a group but as far as I'm concerned that jury's still out... time will tell. Which ever block you go with get a reputable, aftermarket FE block knowledgeable, machine shop to prep it properly, i.e. Keith Craft, Precision Pumps, Gess Ford or Barry R.. The one thing they all have in common, none are ready to build out of the box...

Dave
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

I was down to visit Keith and talk about the build for me, last fall. He told me the same about the blocks. He has to machine them after he gets them. I am not going with the aluminum block, though. I want to keep to the "correct" cast block. Does the same things hold true with the cast block? ie. the enlarged water jackets. In reference to the Genesis block, I had heard that Ford discontinued carrying them, because of problems.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So far I have no issues with my personal pair of Genesis blocks - - both have been beaten relentlessly as part of the Engine Masters project. I believe that the Genesis remains your only choice in aftermarket iron at this time - I do not think the iron Pond is available. That noted - the Genesis is the more original appearing of the two from a cosmetic perspective.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Red face Genesis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
In reference to the Genesis block, I had heard that Ford discontinued carrying them, because of problems.

Ford Motorsport lists both the iron and aluminum Genesis FE blocks on page
67 of their 2006 catalog. As Barry mentioned, Genesis is the only choice for
iron blocks and as far as I know, the only aftermarket FE blocks that are NHRA
approved for Stock and Super Stock competition.

....Fred
Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Okay, good to know. I have to admit the info I had about Ford not carrying the block anymore is kinda dated. I think I heard that last year, someone went to Ford to order a Genesis block and was told they no longer carried it. So you are telling me that the Pond blocks are no longer available now? I had talked to a few people last year and was told that the Genesis block was closer to the original than the Pond block.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 08-05-2006, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Red face Pond....

Akuminum blocks are available from Pond. I understand he is going to offer an
iron block eventually but I don't believe they're available at the present. Same
thing for SOHC heads although Robert was reported to say that he had no
immediate plans to produce those.

....Fred