Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     
Default Genesis 427 side oiler

Has anyone had any experience with the new iron Genesis 427 s/o block? I had heard they had problems with the early ones, but that the problems have been fixed. Are these blocks worth looking into, or is it better to just find and rebuild a 60's era original?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Red face Barry Rabotnick.....

Well known FE builder Barry Rabotnick of Survival Motorsports does his builds
using Genesis blocks. The FE he built for the Jeg's Engine Masters competition
last year which dyno'd out to 752 hp was also Genesis based. He can probably
tell you as much about Genesis blocks as anyone can. His number is (248) 438-6900.

....Fred
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Even the early ones were OK; they just needed a little extra work, which was done by whomever you bought the block from.

Dan
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I'm running one built by Keith Craft and am very pleased with the engine. Keith has probably built more of these than anyone, give him a call. He advertises on this site.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Red face FE Specialties....

Tom Lucas of FE Specialties, another advertiser on this site, also uses Genesis blocks.

....Fred
Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Keith Craft will be using a Genesis or Pond block for my build. When I talked with him last, he told me the Genesis blocks were good, but needed a little work. I have been told the Genesis block is a very close duplicate in appearance to the original blocks.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have spoken with both KC and Perormance Engineering (as well as a few others) regarding the Genesis blocks, and have gotten some good info, however, I was hoping to get some feedback from the people who are actually using them in their cars. I'd like to know how they like the performance it provides and how it is holding up over time.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Genesis

I installed a Genesis crate engine in my Everett Morrison Gen IV. Took delivery of the engine in February, 2006. Fired it up on the completed chassis in July, 2006. Started right up and ran great. I have run it several times as we fine tuned various issues, like some minor coolant and oil leaks, none of which were the fault of the engine. Car is still under construction - waiting for EM to deliver the body - so can't give a more detailed report yet. Check out my gallery for some pictures. (key words: Genesis or Everett Morrison)

I picked up the engine in Indianapolis on a cold day in February where it was assembled and watched it being dyno tested. 500 + Hp and 500 + pounds of torque. That was a fun day!

I was very pleased with the personal service and construction updates provided while the engine was being built.

Chuck
CESLAW
Old 09-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

I've only read people using the iron blocks from Genesis and wondering if anyone has actually tried one of the alumuminum Genisis blocks yet; and any feedback?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shelby alloy blocks also required a lot of machining, at least the 'early ones' did. Sounds typical of a new block on the market as the bugs get worked out.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Great looking 427 Chuck (CESLAW)! I hope mine looks as good!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just shipped my Engine Masters Challenge entry for this year off to New York for the contest. This is another Genesis based piece. Rules for this year include 434 cubes, 10.5:1 compression max, mufflers, 14x3" air filter, and running on 91 octane.

The local DTS testing delivered 685 peak HP @ 6500, 587 peak TQ, and a solid additive average (TQ+HP) "score" over 1000. Only time will tell if thats enough to make the finals - but its a heck of a nice little motor.

So far the Genesis parts have performed well for me....
Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Visually, the Genesis blocks are supposed to be an exact copy of the original 427's, and have a 1965 date code on them. If they are visually correct, is there any reason other than "authenticity" that makes an original block any better than a new Genesis? I also understand that the new blocks are drilled for use with hydraulic cams. Any opinions would be appreciated, as I am trying to decide if having an original 427 is worth the price tag.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What are you going to do with the car?

Archrms what are you going to do with the car? Show, Run&Gun, Orginial to spec, or beat the crap out of it every day? Ponds and Genesis are cheaper the a Shelby block and more correct. Shelby block is stronger and better engineered in my opinion. Any of these 3 blocks will work fine for you. How deep is your pocket? IF YOU CAN FIND a 427so block the price will be the same or more an the Genesis or Ponds. It will either be a service block or used with an overbore done to it. 427 motors are thin walled to start .030" over is the safe max on oem blocks. A crate motor may be your answer. If you want to talk on this call me 732-254-3536 after 7:00pm. I am in Jersey. Rick Lake
Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms
...is there any reason other than "authenticity" that makes an original block any better than a new Genesis?...
Absolutely not. My first motor was an original SO. A cylinder wall broke while roadracing, which siezed the piston, which broke the rod, etc. etc. It wasn't a pretty picture, and was only bored .015 over. My Genesis is bored .075 over the original 427 spec and can be bored .060 more. They just didn't have the technology to build them any thicker originally...and yes, the Genesis has the C5AE code cast on it as do the originals. IMO, it's a no-brainer. I wouldn't waste my money on an original block when something better is available.

Dan
Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Default Yes, I am in the same camp

I started with a 427 Center oiler and two flat cams later, I said to heck with it and bought a Pond Aluminum 482 short block from Keith. Much better off than getting an original. With that said, machine work still needs to be done to these blocks to correct certain manufacturing flaws and you want to go with someone who has experience with these motors like Keith Craft or Mike at Mitech. http://mitechengines.com/index.htm And of course Barry of Survivalmotorsports.com who already responded to your question. In fact you can also include George of www.gessford.com (or 402-463-9844)

Last edited by RedCSX1; 10-23-2006 at 03:18 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well you can't blame the flat cams on the block, come on!

Interesting question: If a modern block looks the same why would go with a real one? Why would you buy a real Rolex when you can get a knockoff that 'looks real' and has a fine Timex motor inside it?

Some of us WANT the 'real thing'. The side oilers were designed for racing, for extreme rpm. Heck thats the block they used for the SOHC which turned 8000 plus rpm. It's not the BLOCK thats weak, it's the way it's BUILT that makes the difference.

Shelby alloy 427's blow up and make no mistake, if you don't build it right you can blow up ANY block!

Why don't you go with a 351W and slap some 427 valve covers on it! Why don't you go with a 352 or 390, heck they LOOK the same and there really cheap too. Why not go with a center oiler and save a bundle over a side oiler? Really tough to tell the difference. WHY? Because I know what's under my hood and that matters to ME.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-23-2006 at 11:44 AM..
Old 10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Well you can't blame the flat cams on the block, come on!

Interesting question: If a modern block looks the same why would go with a real one? Why would you buy a real Rolex when you can get a knockoff that 'looks real' and has a fine Timex motor inside it?

Some of us WANT the 'real thing'. The side oilers were designed for racing, for extreme rpm. Heck thats the block they used for the SOHC which turned 8000 plus rpm. It's not the BLOCK thats weak, it's the way it's BUILT that makes the difference.

Shelby alloy 427's blow up and make no mistake, if you don't build it right you can blow up ANY block!

Why don't you go with a 351W and slap some 427 valve covers on it! Why don't you go with a 352 or 390, heck they LOOK the same and there really cheap too. Why not go with a center oiler and save a bundle over a side oiler? Really tough to tell the difference. WHY? Because I know what's under my hood and that matters to ME.

LET ME CLEAR IT UP FOR YOUR ERNIE.

63 Center oiler = solid lifter cam

I did not want to take another chance on getting inferior lifters with a soild lifter cam for a solid lifter only motor.

Therefore I went with a Hyd. Roller in a all aluminum Pond block.

The Pond and Gen versions of the 427 SO are much stronger motor than the original. Thicker walls and more internal bracing.

Last edited by RedCSX1; 10-24-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...Some of us WANT the 'real thing'...
If you had been paying attention you would have noted that Archrms's question was "...is there any reason other than "authenticity" that makes an original block any better than a new Genesis?"...
If you want "the real thing", great. Buy one. Some of us on the other hand, have tried the "real thing" and, while deeply greatful that Ford brought out this wonderful engine, are tickled pink that better versions are available.

Quote:
...make no mistake, if you don't build it right you can blow up ANY block!
As though a cylinder wall breaking has anything to do with how it was built rather than core shift causing thin cylinder walls. It's virtually impossible (never use that word!) for a Genesis block to have this problem unless taken out to the max, which is .135 over the stock 427 bore...and you can always sleeve it back to 4.250 and start all over again!

Dan
Old 10-24-2006, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut427
My first motor was an original SO. A cylinder wall broke while roadracing, which siezed the piston, which broke the rod, etc. etc. It wasn't a pretty picture, and was only bored .015 over. My Genesis is bored .075 over the original 427 spec and can be bored .060 more. They just didn't have the technology to build them any thicker originally...
I don't think that it's not because Ford didn't have the technology, but in the basic design of the engine. The "original" 427 had water jackets completely surrounding each cylinder, for even cooling. The Genesis has siamesed cylinders, that is no coolant pasing between the cylinders. If Ford wanted the 427 this way, I'm sure they could have cast it the same way as the Genesis. I'm not saying one way is better than the other.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."