Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Default 65-68 427 crankshaft question

i have a call into green sales looking for a oem 427 crank , they said there is 4 or 5 different cranks for these years?, does any one know what the 4 or 5 would be and where i could find part numbers or casting numbers?.
what crank would be best for a new build?.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about a 428 1U crank, fits a 427 block nicely, easier to find and usually cheaper.

My hats off to you though for wanting the 'real deal', a steel 427 crank, very nice!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i wanted to find a original 427 crank if not i will go with the scat 3.98, it seems that every body is building 468 and 482 strokers with the 4,125 and the 4.250 stroke cranks. i was dissapointed to find out no body makes a replacement crank in the 3.78 stroke?.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I might have an original here - just showed up. At this moment it is condition unknown - thus price unknown. I would personnally cut down a 391 truck crank...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

barry i had e mailed you i wanted to talk to you about a 427 for my ffr, when is a good time to call you?. i wanted some advise on a street motor using a genesis block, are the 468 and 482's to much motor for a cobra replica?.
would i be better off with the scat 3.98 crank 6.4 rods and 4.250 pistons
i want to use my mass flo fuel injection with a victor signle plane intake, i thought the bigger motors will need a lot of cyl head.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

so where can i find info on crankshaft numbers?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at moment
Not Ranked     

Barry, what has to be done to a 391 trunk crank other than the reducing the snout and cutting a new keyway? Thanks, Jim
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA234 427s/o toploader
Not Ranked     

wrench 87,
Go to ebay and lookup midlifeclassics interchange books they have a neat one on all FE motors. I absolutley love mine.

Toby
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

There's one on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Near-NOS-Ford-42...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench87
i have a call into green sales looking for a oem 427 crank , they said there is 4 or 5 different cranks for these years?, does any one know what the 4 or 5 would be and where i could find part numbers or casting numbers?.
what crank would be best for a new build?.
Ford OE Part Numbers;
C4AZ-6303-H 427 4-8v 63/65 Iron
C5AZ-6303-C 427 4-8v 66/67 Steel
C8AZ-6303-B 427 4v SPL 68 Iron
C9AZ-6303-D 427 All All years Steel (Nascar - wide journal )
C7TE-6303-B 391(truck) All years Steel

Jac Mac
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i dont trust it why would it have discoloration on some of the rod journals?
could it have been overheated? 1500.00 to buy now that is a little pricy.
i would have no problem buying a scat steel crank, but i wanted the 3.78 stroke. may think about a 391 truck crank but what are the machine costs to get it ready to bolt in?.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwolfman
Barry, what has to be done to a 391 trunk crank other than the reducing the snout and cutting a new keyway? Thanks, Jim
I think you have to cut the flywheel flange as well, because it is thicker, and to do it right, I think you also need to trim the counter weights, because they are bigger on the 391 crank, and too heavy.

I run a cast "390" crank in mine, some 427's came with cast cranks, as mine was an original replacement short block with a cast crank from Ford. I've heard that drag racers preferred them over the steel ones, because they were lighter, i.e. faster, and still good for 700hp.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-22-2007, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at moment
Not Ranked     

Thanks Anthony. I have a 390 crank and a steel 391 crank. Just not sure which way I want to go for my 427. Jim
Old 03-22-2007, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

would i be better off buying a scat 3.98 crank over a vintage 390 crank?
what would be the pro's and cons?.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Frua, FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Using a 428 crank in a 427 block! Can it be balanced internally with mallory weight? Which is the best crank to use? 428, CJ, SCJ, Scat or Shelby?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ACAUTOCRAFT
Using a 428 crank in a 427 block! Can it be balanced internally with mallory weight? Which is the best crank to use? 428, CJ, SCJ, Scat or Shelby?
The use of a 428 crank in a 427 block is a common practice.
As to which crank is best is usually determined by what you are trying to accomplish with your engine, high torque, high RPM's, etc.
Which manufacturer is an often debated topic, I chose a Scat, quality product with a good reputation, I didn't go with Shelby because they pissed me off on the phone, but thats my issue.
At some point I may change out and use my steel 427 crank, but for now I am in pursuit of a torque monster, thus the 428.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger
The use of a 428 crank in a 427 block is a common practice.
As to which crank is best is usually determined by what you are trying to accomplish with your engine, high torque, high RPM's, etc.
At some point I may change out and use my steel 427 crank, but for now I am in pursuit of a torque monster, thus the 428.
In the past, I would have thought that using a stock stroke 3.78 crank would be giving up decent torque, but after I had my stock stroke 427 ( 4.250 bore - 429 ci) chassis dyno'd, it still was a torque monster. Peak RWTQ 488 @ 3850 rpm's (about 600 flywheel), and maintains above 450 ftlbs from 3500 - 5000 rpm's (about 560ftlbs at flywheel).

It just shows that you can build decent torque with a stock stroke.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

I am in complete agreement with you Anthony, the 3.78 offers plenty of torque, but for my needs/desires, the longer stroke along with the higher compression offered by the 3.98 fit my plan to go faster sooner, quicker. I wanted the stump puller, especially from a standing start.
My build was from the bare block up, with the emphasis on a strong bottom end, and a new steel crank, not nodular iron, this was important to my plan.

Last edited by lineslinger; 04-07-2007 at 08:25 PM..
Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry it took me sooo long to find my way back to this thread. The gent that mentioned trimming the flywheel flange is correct. The counterweights are a something of a non-issue. Not real expensive work in the scheme of things - a few hundred will usually get a good core ready to run.