Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Which cam are you running?

496fe Which cam are you running? I think he sells 4 customs, depends on the motor, bore and stroke. I am looking at the little one, for the motor in the car now with small 4.25 bore and 4.25 stroker. 10.0 compression. What is the specs on your motor. Rick L.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Rick, If you look at the specs of each cam you will find that they are very similar in lift, etc. Some one already mentioned Crane which makes a very nice roller cam that is somewhat smaller. Think it would be great for 454 or 468 stroke.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,
You are correct: they make a few different grinds. Mine is the FB 3151R/3152B. .633" Int/.633" Exh valve lift. 252 Int./262 Exh. duration @.050". Here's the magic: 112 degree lobe separation angle.

Even your "little" 482 needs lots of air flow, so I recommend this same cam for you. My guess is that if you use 1) KC Stage II or comparable heads, 2) a good single-plane manifold and, 3) the above cam, you will have a pump-gas 590-610 Hp. streetable engine. Good job.

I got 607 Hp. with 9.4:1 compression with the above setup except I had the heads and manifold ported more.

Good luck

Brian
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

496fe and Rick,
I am running the very same cam in my 482 Pond/ported blue thunder dual plane intake and worked over edlebock heads (Keith just did a valve job on them). Compression 10:1
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Red,
Sounds like you have a great combination. Did it dyno over the magic 600hp mark? They are a blast to drive aren't they. Especially because of the torque.

Brian
Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brian,

Yes all the right parts. Now I am tinkering the carburetor. Thinking the 830 D.P. is too big. I think a good 750 DP might be a better carb and make it more street friendly and responsive. Strong recommendation from Tom of Tom's Motorsports to make the switch. I have gone to a nascar spun aluminum 14" air cleaner for daily use, this is the same style air cleaner that Tom uses on the Cobra Challenge racers. I will switch back to my S&H air cleaner for shows.

Last edited by RedCSX1; 04-11-2007 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Our dyno runs showed that 750 CFM was plenty. I used the Demon instead of the Holley - use the Holley. I only had about 3 lbs. vacuum at 6,000 RPM, which shows that the 750 was plenty. As you know, for a street car, you always want the smallest carb you can.

BTW, I used a desktop computer program called Dyno2000. After putting in all the variables mutiple times, the calculated horsepower was within 5 Hp. of the actual. Some of those programs are amazing.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1
I think a good 750 DP might be a better carb and make it more street friendly and responsive.
Agreed!
The 4150 HP 750cfm double pumper works well on my motor with just a couple of changes right out of the box
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Excaliber is right, "Real Men Use Soild Flat Tapet Cams"

That is what I am using as well. Rollers are definetly better: produce more power, create less heat, quiter, better gas milage, less smog producing and with todays venders and suppliers are becoming more dependable. Thank God for the new wave engine builders that are bringing this technology to our old beloved FE's. As advanced as these new cam systems are are becoming we may even be running with the Chevy's. Now you through in Kirkhams new block WOW! Anyway I am going solid, because real men do and the chicks dig it plus it is alot lighter and more original. You can't show me one CSX car out there that came with one!
Damn, the burden of being a real man!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What's a real man???

Big Boss What's a real man?? Excaliber lives on an island, and sits under palm trees half the day. His history of breaking motors and having Gessford fix the last one, sounds more like a problem between the brain and the right foot. Solids are more original, That's about it. With the right valve train and a .620-.650 lifter cam and seting up the correct hydro lifter lash, I can turn a motor to the 7,300 rpm. Your out of cam at this point and just wasting motor. You will get more power from a roller cam than a flat tappet. As far as chicks digging solids, only if it has the right vibration. Rick L P.s I think real men also use there given names BB.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Palm trees is it? More like banana trees in my backyard!

Well Gessford was certainly a major help with parts and advice when I built my motor, but I built it myself. A solid roller lifter let go and resulted in a major rebuild. Solid rollers, not a good idea for the street. Hyd rollers, work well on the street, but cost is considerably higher than flat tappet.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-12-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Rick Lake
As you are concerned my "Real" name is "big-boss" not a replica, not a kit name the real deal.
Another point: Limp dick ( hyd roller cams) are truly better. I once saw a documentry- I think it was "Girls Gone Wild" . They asked the question. Do Wild Girls like them Solid or Limpy? Overwelming the survey came back "Solid". You can not argue with that kind of data unless you are Al Gore of course-I am assuming you are not.
Everybody knows what a "Real Man" is - all us "Real Men" especially know the definition. Sorry, I will not be able to tutor you an that path- I will be too busy adjusting valves of course along with the heavy burden of having a chick magnet under the bonnet. When you reach "Real Mandom" you will understand. I will add that this type of dialog will help you. Good luck and yes --it is worth it!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yet another good Club Cobra thread degenerated into size or state of dicks.

See you kids later.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Real Man

Big-Boss Tutor a man, You in the Military?? My Father was a Sergeant in the army, 2 purple hearts, shot twice, survivor of Pork Chop hill Korea. My Uncle 2 tours of Vietham and finished with 27 years in the Army. I have 3 fellow workers over in Iran-Iraq. I was talking about Lifters and you went off to some dumb place with girls wild and BS. REAL MEN. You have too much testicle matter between you ears. Hopes and dreams you need alot of both.
496fe sorry for this reply. Most people use there first names or sign off with there name. Special people are like BB.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I had CompCams grind me a solid flat tappet. 252/260, 600 lift @ .050 and 112 degree's lobe sep. I only adjust the lash twice per year. idles at 1,000 rpm, has a very loopy sound and is great on the street. I love the solids too. 563 HP
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sheesh, I'm sorry I even brought up the 'real men' thing. It was just a tongue in cheek stupid remark meant to be funny!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

hehe ! ya funny.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-boss
Sorry, I will not be able to tutor you an that path- I will be too busy adjusting valves of course along with the heavy burden of having a chick magnet under the bonnet. When you reach "Real Mandom" you will understand. I will add that this type of dialog will help you. Good luck and yes --it is worth it!
Big-boss, Your wife told me she prefers BIG Hyd. Roller last time I saw her.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Morgan!!! I'm shocked!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Solid lifter / flat tappet in my dinosaur FE, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just gotta love it. KISS.