Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     
Default FE Valve Cover Gaskets

Guys, I Know that the stamped steel FE valve covers have long been a source of "controlled seepage" of oil. This has been a major concern with my FE to small block valve cover adapter kits when the stamped FE covers are used. I wanted to let the readership know that I think I have found a great solution to the problem. DSC Motorsports in California produces high quality cork FE valve cover gaskets in three different thicknesses, standard 1/8", thick 1/4" and extra thick 5/16". After a long personal battle involving stamped FE valve covers used with an adapter kit on my 351W I tried a pair of the 5/16" gaskets and they are absolutely free of seepage. I began by glueing the gasket to the valve cover lip using Permatex Ultra High Tack gasket cement and then mounting the cover, tightening only to 5 lb/ft of torque. The extra thickness of the 5/16" gasket ensured that there was no interference between the lip of the valve cover and the adapter plate. I hope anyone having a seepage problem on their FE motor can benefit from this discovery.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You could also reduce "seepage" by machining the lips of the inside of the billet adapters so they are beveled in to allow the oil to flow back in, instead of sitting on the lips. Been meaning to suggest this.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Or you could use small block valve covers on small blocks....
Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins
Or you could use small block valve covers on small blocks....
what the heck is a small block in 2007?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The same engines that were small blocks 10 years ago...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

It was my exoerience with stamped steel valve covers, that glueing the gasket to the cover elliminated some leaks . The covers need to be straight and sealing surface flat. The bolt holes usually get puckered downward they need to be peened back up. Special brackets that spead out the clamping force for each bolt are a great help. They don't have to leak but usually do. I went to cast alluminum and glue (RTV) everything.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-29-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The same engines that were small blocks 10 years ago...
Defined by displacement or external dimension?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Defined by 'logic' that was clear and concise 'back in the day', when small blocks really were 'small' and BIG blocks really were 'BIG'.

Today, as in so many things in life, the lines of logic are forever blurred. If external measurments are used to define small/big blocks then the Mustang modular 4.6 is certainly a 'monster' block!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if you cut past all the crap, Jay, what we're dealing with here is the use of FE valve covers on a 302/351. You know that.

My point is, if someone wants the look of an FE bad enough to where they physically make a SBF look like one, then they probably should have went with an FE anyway.

I mean, c'mon.....what are they gonna try to get away with next? A set of Hemi valve covers for a 318 Mopar so people will think it's a Hemi?

It doesn't matter what valve covers you put on it, it will always be a small block. Why try to fool people? Are people that ashamed of their Windsors?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

If we all just cut past the crap, the reason I originally posted this article was to let ANYONE who uses stamped steel FE valve covers, which are notorious for leaking, know that I had found a great set of gaskets that sealed perfectly and let others know where to get a set if they needed one. Any mention of using FE covers on an adapter for a small block motor was coincidental because that is how I personally used the product. I never intended this thread to be taken over by those who wish to argue what is or is not a small block motor and who does what to whom or the morality of using a FE part on a small block motor.

The only purpose any FE modeled products that fit the small block motor serve is to give Cobra builders and owners more options to make their car exactly what pleases them. This doesn't mean that anyone is out to FOOL anyone else. Whether it be my adapters, a Price Motorsports dual quad intake, a Superformance expansion tank or S&H air cleaners it's only a matter of preference in appearance, nothing more. In the end, it could be said that anyone who builds and drives a Cobra replica is trying to fool someone and I would find that extremely difficult to believe.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well my first comment was in fun....complete with smiley face.

I was sorta further provoked after that.

BTW, I'd like my wife's Cavalier to be disguised as a DOHC 4 cylinder instead of a SOHC. Can you whip me out an adapter so I can use a valve cover with two humps?

I'm sorry....kinda in a rotten mood today. The post took a turn for the worse because of me.

Last edited by blykins; 07-29-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

If you are making a comment "in fun" then don't get so carried away when someone calls you on it. Fake car, fake valve covers ... you paid for it, be happy. No smileys needed there, well perhaps here
Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I misinterpreted your posts Jay....I thought you were antagonizing me. I felt the need to defend myself.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well I misinterpreted your posts Jay....I thought you were antagonizing me. I felt the need to defend myself.
Sorry, not the intent. And sorry to Rupert for how it may have resulted in the wrong tone for a helpful tidbit.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah no problem with FE valve covers on a small block, I think they look kinda cool.

Good point about the stamped steel valve covers. I kind of want a set to add a little 'bling' to my engine compartment, but DO worry about getting them to seal good. My cast finned alloy (Le Mans) covers are a piece of cake to seal.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now Ernie, come on.....you're the one that totally went plum off several months ago about how ridiculous certain items were on Cobras....so now you've pulled a 180? Not only are you condoning a small block in a Cobra, but FE covers on a small block in a Cobra?

All in fun guys....

However, NOWHERE ELSE in the automotive world do you see the kind of logic that's represented here in Cobra land.

I can hear it now...

"Yes, this is a clone of a 1969 COPO Camaro. However, it's got a 283 in it, but I've put 427 BBC valve covers on it to make it look like a big block. It's also got a Powerglide, but I put a 4 speed shifter knob on the shifter..."

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps it is a kinder gentler me?

NOT!!! There is a time and place to uphold and make known the high standards of what consitutes an accuratly built replica Cobra. I'm just to tired to 'go there' tonight, but like Arnold said, "I'll be baaack".