Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     
Default 427 differences between chevy, Ford?

Ok, as I have stated before, I'm enginely challenged so bear that in mind when
here is my question:
what is the difference between the FE427 and the chebby 427? are they comparable in HP output capabilities? reason I'm asking is because I have a relative that has a 1977 427 TALL DECK sitting in his garage he wants to give me. I don't have a preference either way what ends up in my scratchbuilt since I'm not worried about re-sale value. I'm just hoping to get around 450HP when the dust settles. thanks,
oh the casting number is 473478.
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

The 427 Chevy has canted valves and the 427 Ford FE has inline valves. Because the Chevy has better breathing heads, it should make more HP
Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

The Ford 427 and a Chevy 427 are two entirely different animals. You can get 450 HP from the chevy.
Good luck.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys. didn't expect a good response about the chevy on this board. learn something new everyday.
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D
The 427 Chevy has canted valves and the 427 Ford FE has inline valves. Because the Chevy has better breathing heads, it should make more HP
Hey, Bill, I was looking in your photo galley to see if there were larger pictures of the girl in your avatar. I wanted to check out her breastages to see if they were "canted."
Now I have to get a magnifying glass to check out that little avatar picture!
Ralph
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

The Ford 427FE will easily make 450 hp. In fact, it was rated at 425HP in the Cobra but actually made closer to 475HP. Aftermarket parts are much more readily available for the Chevy BB than the Ford FE BB. But you can still make 600+ HP in teh Ford.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

only wish i had a relative that had a 427FE sitting in his garage he wanted to give me but the chevy'll do.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Canted valves are better in theory, but it's hard to beat the high riser or tunnel port heads for breathing on a FE. 600 plus on an FE, piece of cake!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

The 427 Chevy is still a mystery to me...

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The "ford" may be narrower , like the engine bay .
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Dimensionally a 427 "mystery" engine is about the dinesions of a 460 Ford, same exact bore spacing and app. overall length. Now....you said a tall block, which was truck engine, I can't recall the deck height without going through some books, but it is most likely an inch or more. The added height could make it too wide or tall to fit easily. The tall block was popular with drag racers that wanted a long stroke and reasonable L/R ratio. While they have better heads,on paper, I think the competition of the era illustrates that a good builder was what made one better/faster than the other. With advanced technology, they are probably both pretty equal in the application you may use it in.Oh and one other thing...they were never an option in a Cobra,LOL.

Last edited by Woodz428; 09-09-2007 at 05:51 AM..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428
Dimensionally a 427 "mystery" engine is about the dinesions of a 460 Ford, same exact bore spacing and app. overall length.
Actually the Ford has a slightly larger bore spacing, 4.9 vs 4.84
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Frua, FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

The BB Chevy has a few advantages over the the Ford FE, better breathing, better oiling system, smaller but wider main bearings. Parts availability is much better and cheaper. The popularity of the Chevy BB is what led Ford to develop the 429 which is similar to the BB Chevy is design. That said, the 427 FE (wedge and SOHC) went a long way to remedy the shortcomings of the FE design but at a price. These engines were just to expensive to build and thats why they disappeared.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

anthony wrote;
"Actually the Ford has a slightly larger bore spacing, 4.9 vs 4.84"
You are absolutely correct, I was going from memory and didn't open the book I should have. The main point is that it is longer than the 427 with a 4.63 bore spacing. But I had the wrong numbers for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ACAUTOCRAFT
These engines were just to expensive to build and thats why they disappeared.
Some of them still dwell in my shop...currently 6.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Joey, of course, I'm partial to the Chevy engine, but be advised if you go with the tall block, you'll need special push rods and distributor, or a special intake manifold that will allow a standard distributor to sit down lower into the cam. If memory serves, I think the tall block is 1/4" taller. Pretty sure that you could make this thing into a big inch engine with great reliability and tons of torque without spending huge bucks. "No replacement for displacement" is not an original saying, but is certainly true, without going 'way radical.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Difference is: one's a General Mess, and the other isn't. Why do you think it's free?

Can't you work out a trade: you take the dung pile on a pallet and trade it to a dung beetle for cash or real Ford parts.

Then fit a proper engine into the Ford.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Sell it!

I would have to agree, sell it!

Take the engine, and thank them very much. Then go list it on ebay and start looking for a Ford 427.

You could really make somebodys day that's looking for an engine for a camaro or vette.

You'll save yourself a lot of hassles now and years of ridicule!

jdog
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

The only thing that helps me deal with the ridicule and hassle from the hard core Ford-ies is therapy LMAO. In repentance for my evil ways I am about to the point of considering installing a 5.0 HO injected small block in my plastic therapy TOY and of course 2 hail Mary's and/or only missionary style sex for a whole week.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm picking it up in about a week or so, when i hit dry land. i should have a while before i'm ready to install an engine into anything. who knows maybe the "perfect" engine wil show up between now and then.
and ridicule? i'm used to it, look, i'm a mexican/mormon/republican/deepsea diver that loves "kit cars" working in the deep south..yeah! i think i've heard my share of ridicule!