Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default What carb would you run?

I'm building an engine now, here are specs:
482" sideoiler
KC Stage II Edelbrock heads
KC solid roller
11:1 CR
Performer RPM intake
MSD ignition
Aluminum flywheel
Tremec TKO 600 RR
Car is a Contemporary - weighs about 2300 lbs.
HP street driving, occasional road racing.

There's not enough $ left for fuel injection. I really wanted Webers but there's not enough $ left for them either!
I have a chance to buy a very clean Barry Grant 825 race demon at a very good price. Is that a good carb for this engine? All in all what would you guys recommend? I only have one prerequisite - I know guys will argue with me but it's the only point I'm not flexible on - I don't like vacuum secondary carbs with manual transmission cars and I won't run one. Anything else I'm all ears. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would run the Holley 950 HP. You might think it's too big, and I'm not a carb expert, but the car runs great.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

dual quads in the budget?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I'd run four weber's if I could afford it.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

You may want to run it thru one of the numerous calculators out there. Do a search on 'Carburetor CFM Calculator'. I pulled up one, set up your 482ci, 6700rpm, pulled up a 935cfm requirement at 100%ve. Which is almost exactly the same as mine, 430ci, 7500rpm.

Great to see after all the work making room for an FE, you are going to stick a KC sideoiler in it. I would recommend a port matched Edelbrock Victor w/ the 4bbl. Polish up a turkey pan and stick under when you want the looks. What roller are you going with?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajam View Post
You may want to run it thru one of the numerous calculators out there. Do a search on 'Carburetor CFM Calculator'. I pulled up one, set up your 482ci, 6700rpm, pulled up a 935cfm requirement at 100%ve. Which is almost exactly the same as mine, 430ci, 7500rpm.

Great to see after all the work making room for an FE, you are going to stick a KC sideoiler in it. I would recommend a port matched Edelbrock Victor w/ the 4bbl. Polish up a turkey pan and stick under when you want the looks. What roller are you going with?
I'm having the short block built locally - the guy building it is a local legend around here, he's been doing almost noting but FE's for 30 years or so. I like what Keith has done in the cam and heads dept, so I'll be sourcing both from him. He's been extraordinarily helpful and patient with my many questions over the months leading to the final decision to go FE and I think it would be unconscionable not to give him some business for his trouble.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get in touch with Keith for the final cam selection. I haven't bought it yet but I have to get it on the way soon. I'm always up in the air during the week for work, and I guess Keith is closed for business weekends when I'm off, so it's very hard to hook up by phone. I'll get him one day next week and get the ball rolling. I was wondering what carb to use, so I was hoping in the meantime you guys might have some input.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
I'd run four weber's if I could afford it.
So would I! I can't afford it right now - I had the choice between a heavy webbed 390 block with a 445 stroker kit and Webers, or an original Sideoiler block with a 482" stroker kit and a 4bbl. Essentially the Weber setup and the sideoiler block cost roughly the same (the block was actually a bit more) and I couldn't afford both. I had to choose one or the other. After much deliberation I chose to put the money into the sideoiler over the Webers. Too late to turn back now, the block is bought and paid for.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch View Post
dual quads in the budget?
Yeah, I could do it, but there's more performance to be had with a single 4bbl, and I like the look of the single 4bbl and turkey pan better. I believe all the original cars with 2 X 4bbls were 428's weren't they? I may be wrong on that as I'm far from an originality guru, but I think that may be true. We'll see, someone will probably chime in and tell me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I'll beat them to the punch - on this I really am not sure!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Have you considered the Mass-flo? Kieth is a dealer.

Since the $4k kit includes the intake, dist it's not much more. Not to mention the benefit of self calibrating and better accuracy since it's not MAP based.

Considering the cost of mine I felt it was cheap insurance to keep it running as long as possible. Today's 200k+ mile engine life and higher HP attest to how good a modern production FI system is.

It's only about $2500 more and with gas at $4 it'll pay for itself rather quickly.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

http://www.braswell.com/
Old 03-16-2008, 04:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Holley 04777C with a Moroso 1:1 linkage kit installed.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm running a ProForm 950 (Holley 950 HP clone w/billet base/metering plates and better adjustability, IMO) on my KC Pond 482. It runs great and the 4 corner idle provides great idle A/F adjustability.

Dave
Old 03-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Holley 750 HP...runs good right out of the box. Obviously you might have to do a jet change depending on where you live.
http://www.holley.com/0-80528-1.asp
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

I just had my 331 stroker tuned on a chassis dyno by Mustang Specialties in Pompano Beach, FL. I have s Quick Fuel Tech carb on my Keith Craft built motor. The tuner at Mustang Specialties said they ALMOST invariably change carbs on a lot of the cars that come into them with after market carburators - and they recommend Pro Systems carbs. Said in his opinion they are the most reliable. If I ever decide to change I will certainly look into Pro Systems Carbs. RD
Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4819, 427 all aluminum
Send a message via AIM to CWCobra
Not Ranked     

As a rule of thumb, you can take the cubic inches of the engine times the maximum rpm and divide it by 3456 to give you an approx cfm.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Doug,

There is a nice Barry Grant for sale on this site. Barry is a carb expert and has a great web site. His 650 might flow better than a 750 Holley based upon the air flow character as that dictates feed. Flow is the key to carburation efficiency.

I do know that most cars are over the top with carburation. I would talk with and expert like Barry Grant, KC, and maybe your engine builder. I would think that a 2008 racing carb would allow maximum flow with better results even on the street.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

The answer to your question is

YES!

You MAY have to go bigger but it's a good place to start, especially if it is cheap!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I built my car for the street. I'm running a 750 Demon on my 427 S/O, and love it. I used a O2 sensor to dial it in.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I think I would get Keiths advice on the carb. if he is supplying the heads and cam. This combo. is a little different from the 390 you were talking about a few months ago, sounds great . 11-1 c.r. a little high though, no?
One thing you should do is have the engine builder install the pilot bushing/bearing to make sure it fits correctly. There was some talk here about the hole in some stroker cranks being too large.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobred View Post
I think I would get Keiths advice on the carb. if he is supplying the heads and cam. This combo. is a little different from the 390 you were talking about a few months ago, sounds great . 11-1 c.r. a little high though, no?
One thing you should do is have the engine builder install the pilot bushing/bearing to make sure it fits correctly. There was some talk here about the hole in some stroker cranks being too large.
Yeah, I thought we couldn't go 11:1 any more either. I'm told that with aluminum heads it's no big deal. In fact the guy who's building the engine prefers that ratio. Hey, I just pa the bills!
I'm trying to get in touch with Keith now re:the carb, I guess I'll have to wait until during the week and hope I'm on the ground somewhere long enough to get some time on the phone with him.