Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Quicktime Bellhousing

Got my Quicktime bellhousing from Fortes. Kind of dissapointed...it's so light I don't feel like I got my money's worth. You know, like with a Lakewood.

Pics when I get a chance.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a pic, more in my gallery. Fortes welded on the hydraulic cylinder mount. The throw out arm will hopefully be the only billet alum piece on the car.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     
Default nice

Looks pretty nice.
Do you plan to "index" it?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got off the phone with Steve at Fortes. He said the QT did not need to be indexed. They have a sweet setup with the slave and billet fork.

I noticed Kirkham has a similar unit but they have 2 holes on the billet fork for a lighter or faster throw.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra View Post
I just got off the phone with Steve at Fortes. He said the QT did not need to be indexed.

Index it. Although not nearly as bad or unpredictable as the Lakewood it may need to be indexed. I mounted mine and it was out by .009

Some people wouldn't worry about any less than .010 but I put the offset dowels in there anyway and got it down to .003

Tremec trans seem to be more sensitive to this for wearing out front seals.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I noticed Kirkham has a similar unit but they have 2 holes on the billet fork for a lighter or faster throw.
That's good to know, thanks. I got my setup from Kirkham.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RodKnock,
did you get your car yet?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     

I second the notion for indexing your quick time. When I had mine indexed, my quick time bellhousing was out by .040 and so I had to move mine .020 to get it centered. I think it ended up at .002 or .003 when I was done.

What is everyone, with one of these, using for a cover for your starter & clutch fork area on your quick time bellhousings?
Just curious?

Would love to hear feedback on the Fortes system in comparison to the Kirkham system? From those that have had some in use?

Last edited by franklin; 04-18-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the Forte setup.
I have not covered the starter or fork holes. Quicktime is supposedly coming out with a cover for the starter.
For mine it worked perfectly with the clutch master that came with the car. Smooth easy pedal with no pedal stop required.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is your bell housing SFI certified not just tested??

Hi tech cobra Quicktime sells 2 bellhousing for the FE motor. One saids it passed SFI testing but doesn't say CERTIFIED. The other said nothing about this at ALL. What is the bell housing made of? Aluminium? Titanium? Be careful with this. The other thing is to check your bell housing for being centered on the motor. I was told the same thing about nothing to worry about. The Lakewood was .038" out of center. I would double check with Steve about this whole thing. If you go to their website and lookup your bellhousing, the wording is questionable. If you are running a small multi disc clutch like dirttrackers, this will be maybe OK, but if you are running a 40 lbs flywheel and 11" clutch, I don't think this will save your legs from an schatter clutch assembly. This bell is for lite duty usage and racing. Just my opinion. Rick Lake Ps I have seen clutches and flywheels come through roofs and windshields. Feet and leg lose is about being lucky. You might want to rethink this.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well that's a p1sser!
It says "Has passed ALL SFI testing" on their web site. What does that mean? Are they waiting for the certificate on that bell housing? Many BH's on their site are SFI Certified.

Rick, the bellhousing is steel.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not trying to p$ss you off

Hi tech Cobra I was not trying to be a smart@$$ again, I just went by the reading. The lakewood bell housing weight almost 50 pounds. You said your was very lite. There should be a label on the bell saying SFI certified and a date for when it is to be retested. We go through this in the NHRA racing. I think it's every 3 years. If you call Quicktime ,I'm sure they have an answer for this. I hope it's just a poor description of a part and not a trying to get over on the public game. Rick L. P.s I am gald it's steel, but I am thinking that it's more designed for a multi disc small clutch like a 6-7" Tilton assembly. When they blow there is alot less change of the major damage than when a stock size clutch blows. Sorry for questioning your build.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,
No problem. I don't think you are being a smart a$$. I appreciate the heads up!!
I will call them tomorrow and let you know what they say.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still waiting to speak with someone at QT.
RodKnock, I meant to ask Ronbo if he got his car.

Got this off Quicktime's website:
http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

"QuickTime has set a new standard for steel bellhousings.

Circle track, strip, street applications.
Lightest steel bellhousing available anywhere (Approx. 17lbs.)
Do not be fooled by others claiming parallelism and concentricity. The QuickTime Bellhousing is the most accurate bellhousing available due to our unique manufacturing processes.
The QuickTime cone is spun not rolled or stamped. This allows the QuickTime Bellhousing to be the most dimensionally stable bellhousing available.
Less drivetrain wear.
Increased horsepower.
Built from high grade steel — Work hardens to over 80,000 PSI strength. Over 2 times the strength of any other steel bellhousing.
Has passed SFI testing.
This is the bellhousing you want between you and your drivetrain.
100% built in the USA.
Design input from OEM, Engine Builders, Transmission Builders, Racers, and the hobbiest."
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
RodKnock,
did you get your car yet?
hi-tech, I have my Kirkham and 99% of the parts to get it running, but I haven't started the install. I've had some delays on the installation side of things. I hope to get started in May.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I also had to index my Quicktime as it was out about .020" . FYI ... I went to RobbMc performance and used their adjustable dowels with internal set screw for locking in place after indexing and wrench flats to rotate the dowels . Super easy to do .... 5 minutes and I was in the .003 " range , and I could repeat it when I took the bellhousing off and reinstalled it .
Great product that does exactly what they say it will .
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RobbMc dowels headed my way!

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke with Mike @ Fortes. He told me to definitely dial it in. He also said the sfi certificate is not needed for SCCA (which I won't be doing) or drag racing (which I won't be doing) times need to be lower than something like 11.5 sec.

I hope to attend Run & Gun (it's been a long time) and some Deep South Cobra Club events in Gainesville and Sebring. I hope an sfi certificate is not needed.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not GOOD

Hi tech cobra Send it back. That's a bunch of crap. Your car with a 482 can run under 11.5 in the 1/4 mile. Most people don't drag race there cobra anyway. It's about safety. Basicly neither one of there bellhousing are certified. That means IF ( biggest word in the english language ) a flywheel should blown apart it is very possible that you could loose a leg, toes, or worst. I have seen a flywheel blow on a weds night at E-town raceway park. The tech "KIDS" where not doing there job and checking safety ideas. The guy lined up and raced, hit second gear and the flywheel exploded. Went through the car roof, took out the windshield, and went 75 ft into the breachers. 1 guy got cut bad in the arm, the rest of us where hit with metal. This is why we put Lakewood shields on the cars. They keep everything inside the housing. Run&Gun has not really pushed the safety inspection has they should have. They rely on each owner to have all the important safety items when racing. They have only let first time racers get away with helmets that are not Nomex. The rest is needed. There is a full info of what you need for the R&G. Min is a 5 point seat harness, nomex helmet, battery cutoff switch, taped head heads in classes high than street or first time. Getting a nomex jacket is another go idea, this was no enforced last year, need to check the rules for this year. They want everybody to have fun and be safe. The Track has certain min. needs. It's an insurance issue. IMO and just trying to protect you, send the bell housing back and get a certified stamped bellhousing like Lakewood. A schattered flywheel or disc parts could come through that bellhousing and destroy your car. Paint and fiberglass repair is not cheap. I am not sure about SCCA letting you running race laps with that bellhousing. Parade laps would be OK at a controlled speed. You would have to look into their rules on this. Sent it back and say they are not being 100% honest with there info. It's only SFI tested, not certified and stamped. What's the price differents between quicktime and lakewood? $125.00?? I'm done, getting off my soap box. Rick Lake Ps if you want to talk, call me at 732-254-3536 after 8:00pm est time or give me a time and number to call you at. I have toll free calling. Rick
Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Rick- I would bet that the Quicktime is a better tool to protect your car and body parts that the Lakewood. Spun pieces like the Quicktime keep more of their malleability and it will certainly deform and stretch but not let any thing out. The stamped Lakewood can have high stress areas that could crack potentially leading to some shrapnel escaping.

To me its a no-brainer- less weight, no cutting, a more accurate piece and better protection.

Rick- I command you to ditch your Lakewood right now and get a Quicktime! Otherwise you will explode.