Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
My bet is that it's a leaky intake manifold gasket...especially if the builder used Felpro Printoseal gaskets on it.
I find that the cheapest Victor Reinz gaskets work the best
Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I would use the Victor intake gasket as well on the stock size ports. We have a gasket made for use that we use on our ported heads. The Fel-Pro has given the most trouble with the leaking. we ran into this and swapped to the gasket we are having made for us. I have seen this more over the last few years like the anti-freeze is eating on the gaskets more. Good luck, Keith
Old 05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 427 update

We pulled the intake and can not see where the gasket is leaking. Eddie, our Ford mechanic dropped by last night and looked at everything. We can not see a problem. So we are going to remove the head and look farther. The plugs do not show a water or oil problem. But Mike did not drive it a lot after it started smoking. Lots of carbon on top of the valves. This motor has 15 to 20,000 miles on it. We noticed the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and the 7105 Edelbrock intake do not match. I did not take pictures, but will Saturday after we go look at a RCR GT 40 in Huntsville. Back to the 427,,,, I would say there is 3/16" to 1/4" mismatch on all the ports. Is this common for the 427 Edelbrock stuff? The intake and heads are 8 or 9 years old.
Mike dropped off the receipts for all the parts that was used in the build. I'll go through them tomorrow. Lots of high dollar stuff but maybe mismatched.
Dwight
Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile 427 cam question

Mike's 427 s.o. has a Crane cam part # 341191

lift----int @cam 3200------ @valve 563
-------ex ------3334----------------587 1.76 rocker ratio

cam timing
@.014 int open 36 degree BTDC close 84 ABDC duration 300 degree
ex-------89-------BBDC -------41 ATDC ---------310

cam timing----open-----------close------max lift -----duration
.050 int--10 BTDC------48 ABDC ---109 ATDC-----238
ex---63 BBDC-------5 ATDC---119 ATDC-----248

is this a good cam for a Street Cobra????

Unique with Jag 3.31 Tremec 5 speed 15 wheels
Dwight

I tried to line up all the data but it does not post the same way.*&%^^^$% maybe the cam experts can read the data. I hope! Dwight

Last edited by Dwight; 05-31-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: to fix the post
Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Smoking FE

We did not pull the 427 head today. We drove over to Huntsville and looked at Keith's RCR GT 40. While we were there we explained the smoking problem to him because he has a Unique with a 427. He thinks it is rings because the smoke trail behind the car was 50 to 70 feet long indicating oil burning not water. Monday we will pull the head.

Dwight

289 / 347 with Weber's +++ Audi transaxle

Keith made his headers

Last edited by Dwight; 05-31-2008 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile compression check

I did a compression check today on the 427. At 100 psi I had 10% to 13% loss on each cylinders. So the rings are good and the valves are seated. Maybe a valve seal or oil ring problem? I think we are going to replace the seals and put it together and drive it this summer.

Dwight Frye algunruner@aol.com
Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile head off

here is what I found in the #2 cylinder.

Question: does it need to be sleeved or just honed and new rings?

Dwight
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What is the bore size?

Dwight You have a couple of choises. Those 2 lines looks like the rings where not finished properly and caused the grooves. Unless something got sucked into the motor and wedged into the ring land and piston. If the block is stock, Have your machinist home out the cylinders and buy a set of custom pistons. 5- 10 thousands over. This way you can rebuild the block about 4 times before the walls get thin if this is a 427 block. You can do the same with a 428 block. It's cheaper to get custom pistons than buy a new block or sleeve it. I have .015 over size pistons for my spare 428 motor. I don't like running the bores past .030" over. The only way I do this, is to add block filler. JMO Rick L. Ps in the old days the over size numbers where .005", .015", .017" .025" .030" This gives you an idea on fixing the motor Rick. Ps shoot the installer if the rings caused the grooves. He didn't smooth the ends. Poor assembly work.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 427

Rick,
The motor is bored .040" over. Wisco made the piston for the last rebuild, about 15,000 miles ago. I had a friend who owns a "old time" parts store that rebuild motors drop by and look at it yesterday. He said it look like carbon or some type of trash had got on top of the piston and cut the grooves. Maybe the motor was cranked and rev'ed up while it was cold. Anyway I'm going to pull the motor out of Mike's Cobra and get ready for a rebuild. This Cobra will not make it to the London Cobra Show this year but Mike is going with us. We always need Co-pilots.

Rick, what do you think about his cam specs? This is a street Cobra only, no racing but of course he needs respect at the red light

Dwight

Last edited by Dwight; 06-12-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Dwight,
Very hard to determine how go/bod the scratch is over the net but there may be hope. Before you can tell if it is a (go or no go) on a re-ring option you will need some hard numbers or measurements. Granted any cylinder wall defect is not ideal but as a racer for many years I have been in your shoes before and seen woorse looking clean up fine.

Double check all the spec's of this cylinder to see where you are at now and what the clearances are now. Hone the cylinder just to the point of an acceptable cross hatch for the rings and measure the new bore diameter. You have a few thou to play with here on an engine with this little wear so see if you are still in the window. You and a good machinist can determine if you are within the +/- limits or not.

Just because you can see a small remaining scratch after a clean up hone does not condemn the engine but it may clean up easier than you think. I would be checking the pistons' ring lands closely and the rings end gap for sure. It may not be ideal but you have limited options. You would be amazed at how loose some of the old race engines were set up or run and RAN WELL. Get the expertise of an old machinist to give you a second opinion. I am hoping it works out for ya. Jeff C