Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Cooler Adapter Oil Leak

I have been struggling with an oil leak around the adapter that bolts to the block where the oil filter was mounted. I have a steady drip about every 1 or 2 seconds. I have removed the adapter, cleaned the gasket surfaces of the adapter and block, checked the adapter for cracks or abnormalities and having found none reassembled the adapter with a new gasket. This time I used VersaChem gasket sealant (non-hardening) on the block and adapter gasket surfaces. I torqued the adapter mounting bolts to about 15 ft-lbs. When it continued to leak I tightened the bolts a little more. Still it leaked. The gasket was originally assembled dry. After all these efforts it still leaks. The block is a BBM 427SO cast iron block. What am I missing here? This can't be rocket science! Does anybody reading this have any ideas or have you a similar experience? Below is a picture of the adapter mounted to the block with the oil cooler lines.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From what I can see the swivel on the 90 hose end appears wet.
Also that look like a AN -10 hose to 90 then integral 1/2npt end.
Like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0erl/overview/

You want to try a different hose end setup. Like a straight 90 -10 AN like this
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-21910/overview/

To a -10AN to 1/2"NPT. like this
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0erl/overview/
Old 05-04-2019, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
From what I can see the swivel on the 90 hose end appears wet.
Also that look like a AN -10 hose to 90 then integral 1/2npt end.
Like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0erl/overview/

You want to try a different hose end setup. Like a straight 90 -10 AN like this
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-21910/overview/

To a -10AN to 1/2"NPT. like this
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0erl/overview/
My initial thought was the hose fittings also but now I don't think the leak is coming from the hose. It appears to me to be coming from the flange area where the gasket is or one of the bolt holes. The threads around the hose fittings are not wet with oil but the flange area is.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're probably right. I was focused on the swivel groove above the castellations.

For wicking leaks, cleaning the area with Electrical contact cleaner or Carb cleaner (allow to dry fully) then coating the areas with an Aluminum or Powder Anti-antiperspirant will usually show the path(s).
Old 05-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
My initial thought was the hose fittings also but now I don't think the leak is coming from the hose. It appears to me to be coming from the flange area where the gasket is or one of the bolt holes. The threads around the hose fittings are not wet with oil but the flange area is.
Bolt holes are notorious for leaking on a remote filter adaptor. Mine are loaded up with gasket sealant so that it is goo-ing out of all four bolts holes. But when I looked at the picture I thought it was leaking from the fitting too. If you wrap the fitting tight with a paper towel, and then run the engine for 30 seconds, and unwrap the paper towel, it should be dry as a bone. I have Teflon tape on the threads of both lines going in to my adaptor. Of course, using UV dye with a black light will tell you instantly exactly where the oil is coming out.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Bolt holes are notorious for leaking on a remote filter adaptor. Mine are loaded up with gasket sealant so that it is goo-ing out of all four bolts holes. But when I looked at the picture I thought it was leaking from the fitting too. If you wrap the fitting tight with a paper towel, and then run the engine for 30 seconds, and unwrap the paper towel, it should be dry as a bone. I have Teflon tape on the threads of both lines going in to my adaptor. Of course, using UV dye with a black light will tell you instantly exactly where the oil is coming out.
I put Teflon tape on the threads of the hose fittings. Your comment about the bolt holes leaking is interesting. As I looked at it leaking I thought the leak may be coming from the bolt holes but I wondered how that could be. What kind of gasket sealant did you use on the bolts? I posted the picture above so that readers would know what I was talking about. Here is another picture with the engine running and the leak.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I believe it is that black "ultra maximum oil resistant" Permatex RTV stuff. Here's a pic:

Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On you last photo it appears the upper (oil out hi-press) port is leaking. Could be cracked from the NPT fitting. (see right yellow arrow) Or as Patrick alluded to the bolt. (see left yellow arrow) Red arrow is gravity.

Just idea, you may want to swap to a different adapter.
http://www.hylube.com/products/feadapter.htm
ERA 626 likes this.

Last edited by spdbrake; 05-04-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Old 05-04-2019, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

You might want to consider using an oil grade pipe sealant rather than RTV or teflon. I use a thread sealant that is used for natural gas, propane, oil, diesel and gas applications. It does not harden and forms a tight seal in the threads. I have found that Teflon can leak and if you retighten something with RTV you can break it loose after it has hardened. A good pipe sealant will form a lasting seal and since it does not harden, if you tighten the bolt further, it still adheres to the threads.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
You might want to consider using an oil grade pipe sealant rather than RTV or teflon. I use a thread sealant that is used for natural gas, propane, oil, diesel and gas applications.
Well, if you went by name alone, you can't beat this: https://www.gasoila.com/products/pip...-sealants.html
Old 05-04-2019, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

AN fittings are 37* and SAE are 45*----------They don't mix!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, if you went by name alone, you can't beat this: https://www.gasoila.com/products/pip...-sealants.html
Patrick,

That would be the kind of stuff that I am talking about. Something that can withstand oil based products and they use it to seal the gas pipes in your house is good enough for me. Anyone deciding to try this approach, please read the label of the product that you are looking at, not all pipe/thread sealants are appropriate to use with oil based products.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
AN fittings are 37* and SAE are 45*----------They don't mix!!!!!!!!!!
And I think most of us are using this guy: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...SABEgKp2vD_BwE
Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
There are nine different products at this link. Which one would you recommend?
BD
Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
There are nine different products at this link. Which one would you recommend?
BD
I would first try the black ultra maximum oil resistant Permatex RTV. That has worked for a lot of us for years. If that still leaks, then I would get a new adaptor off that Summit link. Sometimes you can have a hairline crack that is really hard to see and just replacing the part for $25 is pretty easy. If it still leaks after that, then I would use the UV dye and black light to find the exact spot that it's coming from. I've battled almost every kind of leak on my FE and Cobra for nearly 15 years now and every one of them turned out to be simple after I finally figured them out, but some started off as mystery leaks that seemed impossible. A hairline crack in the metering block took a good year to finally find.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And I think most of us are using this guy: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...SABEgKp2vD_BwE
Only 2 of 5 stars.

No wonder it leaks.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been dealing with an oil leak in the same area. In the past, all fittings were tight, and the bolts weren't leaking as those bolt holes are blind in my alloy block. The leak was coming from somewhere around the perimeter of the adapter.

I found another adapter on the internet that has more surface contact area against the block. I also applied a very slight amount of Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both sides of the gasket. I haven't tested the new adapter and gasket yet, I'm about 3-4 days from first start-up for this season.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The BBM blocks have a drill-through on the top left oil filter adapter bolt hole. It intersects the main oil galley that runs the length of the block.

You will need to remove that bolt, put a little silicone in the hole, then silicone around the bolt head.

This is the kinda thing that we have to watch out for with aftermarket parts. It’s a very tiny hole that’s broken through, but with 70 psi behind it, it will leak quick.

This is why I prime the oil pump on the stand, before the engine is started.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
The BBM blocks have a drill-through on the top left oil filter adapter bolt hole. It intersects the main oil galley that runs the length of the block.

You will need to remove that bolt, put a little silicone in the hole, then silicone around the bolt head.

This is the kinda thing that we have to watch out for with aftermarket parts. It’s a very tiny hole that’s broken through, but with 70 psi behind it, it will leak quick.

This is why I prime the oil pump on the stand, before the engine is started.
Thanks Brent. It did look to me like the oil leak was predominantly around that top left adapter bolt hole.

What happens if the tiny hole that you mention does break through? How is it repaired?
BD
Old 05-05-2019, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It’s already broken through, that’s why it’s leaking. Two BBM blocks that I have here are like that. I caught one when I primed it. The hole isn’t that big, prob .060” or so, but it’s enough.

The fix is what I described up above. Put some silicone in the hole, put some under the bolt head and washer.

I also think you could get a short 5/16-18 set screw, coat it in silicone, then screw it all the way in until it bottoms out, then bolt the adapter on.
Gaz64 likes this.