Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default Oil leak

Try recto seal #5 and the permatex ultra black I have had many leaks on my car and have had no issues after properly applying the products mentioned .
Old 05-09-2019, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
The BBM blocks have a drill-through on the top left oil filter adapter bolt hole. It intersects the main oil galley that runs the length of the block.

You will need to remove that bolt, put a little silicone in the hole, then silicone around the bolt head.

This is the kinda thing that we have to watch out for with aftermarket parts. It’s a very tiny hole that’s broken through, but with 70 psi behind it, it will leak quick.

This is why I prime the oil pump on the stand, before the engine is started.
I wish to thank all who replied to my question especially Brent Blykins. I did just what Brent suggested above and it seems to have remedied the problem.
BD
Jerry Clayton likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It’s already broken through, that’s why it’s leaking. Two BBM blocks that I have here are like that. I caught one when I primed it. The hole isn’t that big, prob .060” or so, but it’s enough.

The fix is what I described up above. Put some silicone in the hole, put some under the bolt head and washer.

I also think you could get a short 5/16-18 set screw, coat it in silicone, then screw it all the way in until it bottoms out, then bolt the adapter on.
Brent, does this fix the oil adapter leaks on just the BBM blocks or does it also apply to OEM SO blocks? I don't think my Precision Oil Pump adapter has any stress cracks so either my steel hydraulic hose fittings are leaking or it's coming from the upper left bolt.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Factory blocks are not drilled through. We normally don't have issues with factory stuff. The aftermarket stuff can be challenging. The BBM blocks have holes that have been drilled too deep and the older Pond blocks aren't drilled deep enough.

You probably have a fitting that leaks, or a spot where the gasket is not intact.
GT350Mike likes this.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

Although the silicon might work until it fails, it’s not designed to resist oil under pressure and doesn’t lend itself to quick reassembly. Therefore instead of a fix, a proper engineered solution is needed to enable a long term peace of mind. If I understand this right, somewhere along the thread in the block, an oil galley hole has broken through and oil is escaping along the threads and finally, under the tightened bolt head that, has of course no real seal. In this case, I would carefully drill then ream the first few threads out of the offending tapped hole. Hopefully there will be 3/16-5/16 before you get to the oil hole Then I would machine an O-ring groove in the plain part of the bolt shaft, such that when screwed in the (suitably specified) O-ring will engage with the short reamed bore and form a proper seal between the block and the bolt shaft. Obviously you must remove all swarf and you can prevent it entering the engine, by putting a grub screw in first, the blow it out with an air gun. I truly sympathise with the OP’s predicament. Good luck and don’t forget to remove the screw!
If that’s not possible, I’d consider a longer bolt and use a steel washer, sandwiched between two copper washers, that did up against the outside of the adaptor block and not the counterbore. Copper washers are used on brake unions, so they’d sure resist oil pressure.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Use liquid teflon!!

Joe the builder at Shelby Engine Co has built hundreds of FEs and this is what he uses. I tried it and BOOM it worked.
https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-Tr...gateway&sr=8-8
I still have a leak around the base of the adaptor. I have tried everything, I think I will try this
www.HYLUBE.com- Remote Filtration/ Wet Sump Systems- Chatsworth, Ca.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

great thread!!
Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

When I get back after driving my Cobra I take a look under the car for leaks. About a week or so ago I noticed an oil film on the oil pan and bell housing but no drips on the garage floor. Upon further inspection I determined that this oil cooler adapter area was leaking oil again. I tightened the oil line connections thinking that my be where the leak is coming from. Long story short, among some other issues I discovered a crack on the adapter between the two oil line connections. Below is photo of the crack. How did this crack? Did I apply to much torque to the oil line fittings?
BD
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wrong or no thread sealant and overtorqueing taper threads will crack housings like this design.

Gary