Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default 10k in pocket. New block or EFI ?

Hello guys, I'm asking here for opinions and advise. I have 10 k to spend on my cobra and I have two choices.

Dynatek stacked EFI-

The Webber's in a Cobra have always turned my crank. When Dynatek came a long with it's Webber look a like EFI, I got very excited. Although I was confused about their computer being self learn, a few of you eased my mind & told be how it works. Now it sounds like a great product and looks fantastic. If I choose this option, I would like to polish, powder coat, ceramic coat and anodize some of the parts. It is very expensive though at apx. $6,000 + the pump, lines ect.....

New short block-

My 428 is a .060 over block. I haven't had any issues at all and it performs very well and sounds awesome. I would like a new aluminum 427 side oiler,..... just because, ya know what I mean Vern. I can not afford a RTR motor from Keith, George or other FE builders.

I'm thinking about using my 428 as a donor and buying a big bore for more cubes, short block, stage 2 Edelbrock alum. heads, larger cam and larger cfm carb. if needed. I have a Vic Jr. polished and ceramic coated intake, BG Mighty Demon carb. MSD 6-AL, Canton pan ect. Everything should swap from my 428.

600 + HP/TQ is my target, like many of you have. I have no problem lashing a solid roller valve train. I want it big & nasty for the street. I know the cam selection can be talked about forever but, that's not the issue yet.

I can assemble the short block or have the bottom end done by the engine builder. What would Keith's apx. cost be ? (I know, a lot of variables) just apx.

So I ask, what would you do with a 10k budget ?

New more cubes engine (hope for a alum. but, iron is not out of the question)

OR

Keep what I have, and buy the Dynatek EFI, and make it all pretty & cool looking. It should bring up the HP/TQ a.... little.

I'm sure a lot will advise a alum. 427 and more power but, the EFI is so,...cool for $6,000, unless I can talk them down. And some will also say, "it's your choice", but I'm asking what would you do.

Thanks, and let the fun begin.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you can get a Pond 482 short block from KC for around 10Gs.. The stack EFI's really cool though

Last edited by undy; 01-17-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old 01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a hard time with Keiths site looking for parts and pricing for a short block.

Tell me I'm......
Really,.....10k ?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Call him Monday. There's too many variables on a short block to list it on his site. I'm sure you could get the Pond S/O short block for right at that.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Maybe refresh your 428 with a SCAT stroker kit for more cubes and add the EFI. Should be interesting. Forget the powder coating and ceramic coating, you don't need the bling.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Your car looks great....so finish it off with the stacks!!!!! You will be very happy...that's what I did and I love opening the hood.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I'd call Pops & get a price on the block you really want. Do it the way you want it the first time. Here's a link to the site.
http://www.popsperformancecenter.com/index.html

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Block.The EFI will give the WOW factor.As in WOW,i just spent TEN GRAND and my car isn't any faster.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
Block.The EFI will give the WOW factor.As in WOW,i just spent TEN GRAND and my car isn't any faster.
I'm thinking it's a dead heat.

The block weighs less (it doesn't add power, but less weight is faster)

The DynaTek makes more power than NA.

A week from now I should have chassis dyno vids!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I say it boils down to this- Do what you want to do with the 10K. It's your car so make it the way you want it.
Regards,

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I go with the block first, next year the FI system

FUNFER2 Kevin Your car is like a house, If it doesn't have a good foundation, it's going to colapes. I would shop hard for the block, get a crank kit for Barry R. unless you find one cheaper and keep the 428 shortblock as a backup motor. If you can find a machinist to check and assembly the block for under 1 K you will have about half of the money for the FI system. If you are going to swap motors, do all the plumping for the FI system withthe motor out. Cap off the lines until you are ready for the FI system. Rough break down, $4,000.00 of an Aluminum Ponds block, ( guessing on this price) Barry's crank kit 2,400.00 unless this has gone up. Machine work and assembly $1,000.00, gaskets, oil, ARP fasteners, $600.00. I built my first Shelby motor for $13,000.00 with all new parts but the 428 crank that was 10-10 under. This didn't include the FI system for my car. Machine work and assembly was $ 1,400.00 dollars for a blueprinted short block. What's 1 more year? Just be careful and not drive your car into any more houses. That place was not a quick lube for the car. Rick L. Ps forget about the 600/600 numbers, I have 550 and 524 and my car is now a handful to drive with 3.31 gears. You can build a real nice torque motor and have many years without any problems. Check with KCR for a hydro roller cam shaft. I have the small crane in my car now, 587-607 and make the numbers above.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 01-18-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Great Asp;The DynaTek makes more power than NA..QUOTE]

NA?I thought we were talking about FI.

And BTW,FI does NOT make more HORSEPOWER than a PROPERLY selected & tuned carb.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Cobrabill;914462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp;The DynaTek makes more power than NA..QUOTE

NA?I thought we were talking about FI.

And BTW,FI does NOT make more HORSEPOWER than a PROPERLY selected & tuned carb.
did you test yours? I tested mine.....

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...FE11-06-08.flv

TQ would be the big improvement with this system.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guys, I have not received updates ?
Ok,

Butler- I do like the whoa...factor, and bling,....bling. That's a problem with me, I like the best of both worlds. Oh, and thanks for the complement !

Zilla- I've seen Pops before on ebay. I don't know anything about him but will check into it.

Bill- what was the 10k for ?

Asp- what can I say, you have the perfect everything, car, engine ect....

AND,.... you're a famed writer for Kit Car Magazine.

Ricky- The "foundation" is a concern. The block is .060 over. That's a lot for a no-sleeved FE plus, I now want the alum. side oiler. Ya just need to send me some buddy $$$. lol

A stroker kit wouldn't be bad but, their again, need more cube's = more power.

I'll have to check with the BIG THREE,....FE builders for what they'll offer for a short block and alum. heads. Getting a base line from all of you is exactly what I need. I wish money was not,...a factor but, ya know how is goes.

Any other ideas, keep them coming.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Great Asp;914466]
Quote:

did you test yours? I tested mine.....

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...FE11-06-08.flv

TQ would be the big improvement with this system.

IF you switched to FI and picked up HP,all that means is your carb was either the wrong one or not optimally tuned.

No,i didn't test mine,as i did my homework first and went with a Braswell carb.But as far as dyno tests go,i have witnessed(in person) many.And even some where FI LOST power over carbed set-ups.

Are there other benefits to FI?Yes.But an increase in HP/Torque isn't one of them.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Cobrabill;914495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post

IF you switched to FI and picked up HP,all that means is your carb was either the wrong one or not optimally tuned.

No,i didn't test mine,as i did my homework first and went with a Braswell carb.But as far as dyno tests go,i have witnessed(in person) many.And even some where FI LOST power over carbed set-ups.

Are there other benefits to FI?Yes.But an increase in HP/Torque isn't one of them.
You witnessed the DynaTek Classic injection...right?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Contact Dean Lampe (email me and I will give you his number) but he started out with a webber set up and he switched to the Dynatek system. I was there when he dyno'd his engine both times and teh Dynotek produced almost 100 more hp. No tuning for altitude and easy air fuel adjustments with a lap top. I would definitely go with Dynatek!!!!

Clois Harlan
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't have to witness a Chevy running of a cliff to know what happens at the bottom.Injection is injection.I don't care who's it is.Peak HP is determined by how efficient a air pump the engine is.Fuel delivery system is ALMOST irrelevant.

If that FI system picked 100 HP over a Webber set-up,then either the Webbers are a lot worse than i thought or the tuner should be fired.

It's great that you are making the numbers you are and that you are happy with it.But to say that FI is superior in every aspect is false.And in the bang for the buck catagory,it's way down the page.But if you(or anyone else) want to do it-knock yourself out.

Last edited by Cobrabill; 01-20-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois- I was very happy that Dean took some time out and called me. We had a conversation about this EFI and I'm sold on them. Sounds like a great system. It's very expensive though.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't have to witness a Chevy running of a cliff to know what happens at the bottom.Injection is injection.I don't care who's it is.Peak HP is determined by how efficient a air pump the engine is.Fuel delivery system is ALMOST irrelevant.

If that FI system picked 100 HP over a Webber set-up,then either the Webbers are a lot worse than i thought or the tuner should be fired.

It's great that you are making the numbers you are and that you are happy with it.But to say that FI is superior in every aspect is false.And in the bang for the buck catagory,it's way down the page.But if you(or anyone else) want to do it-knock yourself out.
"I don't have to witness a Chevy running of a cliff to know what happens at the bottom." Do you know what a T-bone looks like?

"But to say that FI is superior in every aspect is false" When someone says that let me know.

"And in the bang for the buck catagory,it's way down the page.But if you(or anyone else) want to do it-knock yourself out." Gee thanks. I guess a Volkswagon would have been more practical. I'll have to re-think this whole Cobra thing

E