Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Very nice Fred !
Thank you for the information, photo's and your site.

Here is my exhaust system.

Header's- are 2" but, look at the attached photo's. Who ever made these, they squeezed the side's inward, like they put them in a vise ? Was this done for bolt clearance ?

How big of a issue is this ?

J-tubes are 1-3/4"
Collectors are 3"
Muffler housing are 4"
Turn outs are 3"

Are the J-tubes also too small and restrictive ?

Man, it looks like I'll have to spend even more, on new headers, flange,
J-tubes, collectors, mufflers, housing, turn outs,....... the entire exhaust system, before Keith's 482.

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Very nice Fred !
Thank you for the information, photo's and your site.

Here is my exhaust system.

Header's- are 2" but, look at the attached photo's. Who ever made these, they squeezed the side's inward, like they put them in a vise ? Was this done for bolt clearance ?

How big of a issue is this ?

J-tubes are 1-3/4"
Collectors are 3"
Muffler housing are 4"
Turn outs are 3"

Are the J-tubes also too small and restrictive ?

Man, it looks like I'll have to spend even more, on new headers, flange,
J-tubes, collectors, mufflers, housing, turn outs,....... the entire exhaust system, before Keith's 482.

Thanks,

Kevin,

Its hard to say from the pictures why the fabricator squeezed the tubing. While this is not a good thing, if your primaries are 2" and all of the tubes are more or less consistently modified this way, then it may not be as big of a factor as you think. What will matter most is how well the new heads on the 482 match up with you primaries and whether how restrictive the crush area in the pipes are in that context. This said, an engine the size of a 482 running at 4000 RPM plus needs a free flowing exhaust to perform at its best. I don't know what you have in terms of mufflers/sidepipes but if they are quite enough to make your car "street legal", then that is probably your biggest source of restriction and power loss. You menition that these are 4" on the ouside. What do they look like on the inside? That's what matters at this step in you exhaust system. If you can get something that is more free flowing in that area, I'm guessing it would probably help the most. I am not sure where the "J-tubes" are in the exhaust system - can you clarify?

- Fred
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matching up the the 482 and the primaries will have to wait until I get the engine, unless I sent them to Keith with all of the other parts that will be donated from my 428.

I have no idea what mufflers Lone Star uses but, I've heard they are restrictive. As far as what's left of the glass packing, I doubt very little. It's fairly loud. I will be curious just what's left and how they were constructed.
It could be if the outside tube for the mufflers are 4", I hope they put in a 3" muffler, we'll see.

The J-tubes-all four pipes come straight down from the header, out from the collector, then they curve outside the body to the side pipes. Making a "J" shape.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Matching up the the 482 and the primaries will have to wait until I get the engine, unless I sent them to Keith with all of the other parts that will be donated from my 428.

I have no idea what mufflers Lone Star uses but, I've heard they are restrictive. As far as what's left of the glass packing, I doubt very little. It's fairly loud. I will be curious just what's left and how they were constructed.
It could be if the outside tube for the mufflers are 4", I hope they put in a 3" muffler, we'll see.

The J-tubes-all four pipes come straight down from the header, out from the collector, then they curve outside the body to the side pipes. Making a "J" shape.
Kevin,

I'd say the place to start in terms of improving the xhaust system would be the sidepipes/mufflers.

- Fred
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Fred, Kevin -
I wish I could remember what thread it was on but a guy dyno'ed the difference between his factory supplied sidepipe mufflers and the new ones (either Stainless Specialties or Classic Chambered, I forget which), and the difference was about 100 HP !!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree and have seen several guys say 40-100 HP gain. I could see up to 50 but,....100 ?

I have chassis dynode mine with the pipes I have, once I make the new one's, I will dyno it again and post the results, before seeling it.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Kevin
There are more and better pics of those headers we were discussing in my gallery on WWW.ClubHotrod.com sister site of this one. take a look, shows several steps of the progression during the building og the system

Jerry
Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where at on the site is the info. ? I looked up your username.
http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/member.php?u=17169
Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I don't know--just go to the site and find a post that I'm on and then klick the camera icon below my name just like on here