Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
Rod there are footbox mods on both sides required to fit the cammer in your car and I believe the inner fender on the passenger side would need a bit influencing as well. The top corners are cut in several inches to fit the engine and the standard gas pedal setup would gone. Then there's getting 2" headers to fit in there around the steering shaft.
Can someone elaborate how the footboxes are modified? Do they take a large slice out of the sides facing the engine leaving very little of the box left and then all the pedals have to moved over to the left?

I know my headers right now are very close to the steering linkage. So does modifying the steering linkage make the angles and thus the steering worse off? I've always wanted a Cammer in a Cobra and now with the advent of the reproduction engine parts (heads, intakes, blocks, etc.) being made, it's possible to own one.....someday.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

ERA has made a few for customers. If you really want to see something beautiful check out Full Throttle Al's engine you wont be diappointed.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...1&ppuser=10710
Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarkc View Post
ERA has made a few for customers. If you really want to see something beautiful check out Full Throttle Al's engine you wont be diappointed.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...1&ppuser=10710
Yes, I've seen pics of Al's SOHC before. There are a lot of great looking and performing engines here on the CC Forum, and unless I'm forgetting someone, I think Al's Weber-ized SOHC is the best. Numero uno. He gets my "Best Engine" award.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rodney if I remember correct the footboxes get modified a similar amount. Looking at them from the front of the car you would take the inside top corner of each and cut in and down about 2 or 3 inches and carry that toward the firewall about 4 inches.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Foot box mods in CSX4083 for Cammer:

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm sorry for sounding (and looking) dumb, but can someone explain that top portion a little.

Are the brown trapezodial thingees the footboxes or the sheetmetal looking thingees over the frame tubes. To me, i can't see the footboxes, at least like the ones I have in my Kirkham. Again, I'm no expert.

Al, do you have a pic of the steering linkage post installation?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the trapazoid looking thingys are where the footboxes were cut to make room for the cammer. the brown is the raw fiberglass resin/matt.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Al View Post
Foot box mods in CSX4083 for Cammer:

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
What foot boxes? Where?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
I sense a bailout...
Anybody want to own this monster when its done? I could use a stimulus package right about now....or a bailout would do....

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
To me, i can't see the footboxes, at least like the ones I have in my Kirkham.
See below:

Attached Images

Last edited by elmariachi; 07-08-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Anybody want to own this monster when its done? I could use a stimulus package right about now....or a bailout would do....
Put it in a Starliner? Naw that has already been done in Michigan.

No thread theft intended here, but the first time I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise I was at the Prime Media party, and went walking on the parking lot looking at a bunch of Fords on the parking lot.

As I am walking along, I see this Starliner with the hood up. I think "hey, you don't see a Starliner everyday", walking closer with one of the guys I am hanging out with, he says "HEY, THAT'S A SOHC MOTOR!

Now me, having all kinds of old rodder mags, putting two and two together, looks at the car and I say back "that is John Vermeersch's Starliner, with John Vermeersch's SOHC motor!!!" (You see I have seen that car in at least a dozen mags over the years).

My buddy says "There is John Vermeersch!!!!"

I see him, proping up a light pole by himself, so I jump the barrier, run up to him, shove my hand out for a handshake and say "your John Vermeersch!!!!"

John looks at me without expression, looks at my hand, doesn't shake it, and says "do I owe you money?"

He turned out to be a cool guy, and we hung out with him for 4 hours on Saturday at the Ford display. One guy looking for information walked up to John, and asked John if he could replace his 2 barrell carb on his 66 Mustang with a 4 barrell, John asked the guy (no kidding) "Do you know where the 351 Cleveland motor was made?"

The guy looked puzzled, and said "no, no I don't"

John said "no, the 2 barrell can not be replaced with a 4 barrell"

True Story!

Eric
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Barry, if you're serious, then let (PM) me know. Probably outside my price range, but I have to ask anyway. I'm on Bill Coon's list.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry,

Can you post some pics of the motor???

<drool>

E
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Can someone elaborate how the footboxes are modified? Do they take a large slice out of the sides facing the engine leaving very little of the box left and then all the pedals have to moved over to the left?

I know my headers right now are very close to the steering linkage. So does modifying the steering linkage make the angles and thus the steering worse off? I've always wanted a Cammer in a Cobra and now with the advent of the reproduction engine parts (heads, intakes, blocks, etc.) being made, it's possible to own one.....someday.
There's some pics of a SOHC in a Kirkham in this thread: http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...t=93871&page=7
Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
There's some pics of a SOHC in a Kirkham in this thread: http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...t=93871&page=7
Ron, thanks. I had forgotten about that thread with pics from Ron. That is a really tight fit, but I really love them Cammers. There's a few small guys out there making SOHC parts now, so a Cammer is possible. Someday.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ron, thanks. I had forgotten about that thread with pics from Ron. That is a really tight fit, but I really love them Cammers. There's a few small guys out there making SOHC parts now, so a Cammer is possible. Someday.
Someday????

You are a player!

Pull the trigger, take the leap!

LOL

E
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
Someday????

You are a player!

Pull the trigger, take the leap!

LOL

E
I haven't made any commitments yet, but if I did take the plunge, then I would slowly accumulate parts, probably over years, and have one built. Although thinking about hacking up my Kirkham to get one to fit is just a little disconcerting.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Back when I was looking for a big block the first choice was SOHC 427.Lucky for me is a friend who deals with exotic Fords and NASCA racing motors and parts.For a cool $20K and several to choose from,all needing rebuilding,was too rich for my blood.even looked into a Boss motor.Same thing was the cost of parts then rebuilding.Still very satified with 468ci big block.