Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Finish Line--- Speak with Paula & Enzo

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Could not even get an estimated shipping charge from FL

I could see how the OP of this locked thread might be a bit miffed (my apologies to Jamo for bringing up the issue again):

Finish Line Accessories Shipping Charges

I just ordered a couple of parts from Finish Line and even though I spent about 15 minutes on the phone line with them, they still could not tell me what the shipping charges would be. Apparently they compute the shipping charges when they box up the order....not quite sure why they can't estimate the shipping charges, but they don't seem to be able to do so at the time the order is placed.

In their defense, they were gracious when the issue was discussed and offered to hold off taking my credit/debit card number until they could contact me later this afternoon with the shipping charges, so I don't feel like Finish Line is trying to gouge us on shipping.

But...........maybe a bit better tracking system would allow them to discuss the issue at the time the order is placed, though. Given the chatter regarding the issue, it might make the "first time buyer" like me a bit more relaxed in terms of making my decision as to which source from which to order.

In the end, though, I just gave the gal the credit card number, I need the parts and thought "What the hell, I'm going to order from someone".

I guess I'll find out what the shipping charges are when they email me later today, after the parts are packaged.

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
I could see how the OP of this locked thread might be a bit miffed (my apologies to Jamo for bringing up the issue again):

I just ordered a couple of parts from Finish Line and even though I spent about 15 minutes on the phone line with them, they still could not tell me what the shipping charges would be. Apparently they compute the shipping charges when they box up the order....not quite sure why they can't estimate the shipping charges, but they don't seem to be able to do so at the time the order is placed.

In their defense, they were gracious when the issue was discussed and offered to hold off taking my credit/debit card number until they could contact me later this afternoon with the shipping charges, so I don't feel like Finish Line is trying to gouge us on shipping.

But...........maybe a bit better tracking system would allow them to discuss the issue at the time the order is placed, though. Given the chatter regarding the issue, it might make the "first time buyer" like me a bit more relaxed in terms of making my decision as to which source from which to order.

In the end, though, I just gave the gal the credit card number, I need the parts and thought "What the hell, I'm going to order from someone".

I guess I'll find out what the shipping charges are when they email me later today, after the parts are packaged.

Dugly
Since each item ordered weighs a different amount, and when combined no two orders are 100% the same, and everyone does not live in the same town, at the same address, I can see why the shipping charges would be different for each and every customer/order. Having owned a business where the same thing applied, I never gave a shipping charge until the item(s) were packed and weighed. If a customer wanted a total before they paid, I gladly did so, but again, they would have to wait until I had it boxed and weighed before that could happen. Some people get it, unfortunately, you are not one of them

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Shipping Charges... Are we talking the whole car???

Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     

Finishline has ALWAYS been a first rate provider for my Cobra needs.

Rest assured they will take good care of you.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Since each item ordered weighs a different amount, and when combined no two orders are 100% the same, and everyone does not live in the same town, at the same address, I can see why the shipping charges would be different for each and every customer/order. Having owned a business where the same thing applied, I never gave a shipping charge until the item(s) were packed and weighed. If a customer wanted a total before they paid, I gladly did so, but again, they would have to wait until I had it boxed and weighed before that could happen. Some people get it, unfortunately, you are not one of them

Bill S.
I sure understand your point, Bill. I'm afraid this is the FIRST time I've ever had to wait until an order has shipped to get an estimate of what it would cost to ship it. I didn't want an EXACT, to the penny amount, I just wanted a ballpark estimate. I ordered two identical pieces, the charge for the parts was $150, yet I don't know if the shipping will be $20 or $200.

You are right, though....at 62 years of age, and having done an incredible amount of business using 800/888 toll free phone numbers and internet based ordering programs, I have never run up against the problem until today. I guess I'm just too old and set in my ways to "....get it".

Cheers from Dugly

Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

If UPS, when the weight per carton, ship from/to zip codes, selection of shipping transit time, etc., the shipping charges can be arrived at with a close estimate, also adding in the weight of the shipping carton(s) and packing material.

Multiple cartons cost more to ship with the same grand total weight than fewer cartons. As an example, 2 cartons @ 20 lbs ea will cost more to ship than 1 carton @ 40lbs. Exception would be hundred weight pricing for heavier shipments when using the total weight and if the minimum charge is met

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request
Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

If they would use the USPS and the flat rate priority boxes, they would know the shipping costs. If it fits and weighs under a pre-determined amount, the cost is standard.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Given how fussed you are already over the shipping costs (you have a very expensive car and you're worried over a few bucks for shipping?) , I wouldn't tell you the cost until I knew exactly what the charge is.

Turns out a lot of wannabe lawyers (and some real lawyers) own Cobras. I'd be afraid that if I were wrong on the shipping cost, I'd have you calling and whining and then threatening to not do business and then spreading my name on the internet.

Kinda like you already are and you werent even misled on shipping costs!!!

Its the folks who get wrapped around the axle over this sort of stuff that makes businesses shy away from providing the very ROM cost you want them to give you.

I for one do not blame them.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

With Finishline, all you have to do is ask like the OP did. No problem. It is nice to get a heads up once in a while. Thanks Dugly.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry but if I (and 8 million others) can figure it out when selling on ebay, then a business owner shouldn't have a big problem. It's not rocket surgery. Don't get me wrong, I have bought from F-L in the past and I will do so in the future. But the "we can't figure out shipping until we drop it off" thing is just silly at best. I mean dang; buy a scale and a measuring tape.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have been buying parts from Finishline for 11 years and never, never have I had a problem. They have traded parts with me, gone the extra mile, just great people to do business with.

Dwight
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Dugly
Dugly, end of day its called customer service, some have it, some don't and some don't give a squat one way or the other. But, if its done right, like ordering from Amazon, they got it nailed and you have all yours cost and shipping options all selected beforehand. I guess that why the likes of Amazon are making billions, they do it right the first time and have a global vision, whereas some companies just don't get it.

Just my two cents folks.

tin-man
Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When any of us deal with an on-line vendor for the first time, our (at least my) lasting impression of them is based on only a few things. Do they have what I want, do they "appear" reputable enough for me to share my credit card info, what are their return policies, and how much is the shipping?

Occasionaly I'll find a site that has what I want, but the shipping costs are all out of whack. Like the measly $25 poster of CSX 2430 I bought last week. The Shelby "sanctioned" website had the price listed as around $25,well okay... and they said no one else has this poster, okay... and that shipping is...$25 !!?? It's a 24x36 poster fer cryin' out loud. So I looked a little further and found it on eBay for $9.95 plus 7.95 shipping. I realize being a parts vendor and selling posters is sort of "apples and oranges". I'm just sayin' that due to these occasional experiences we have become cautious of the on-line vendors who max out their profit margins by jacking up "shipping and handling". AND, I'm NOT saying the vendor in question has, or will ever, do this.

Once we've had a safe experience with a vendor we then learn to "trust" them, but that first time, especially on an expensive purchase, I've generally got my "shields up, and photon torpedoes armed."
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I have done a lot of business with Finish Line and they have always treated me first class. They took back items that I order and didn't do my homework, so they didn't work.
Most companies have a S&H charge to cover the unknown. The handling is tacked on and extra to cover any over runs. With the fuel charges making a big cost difference to shippers, it's not as sure as it once was.
They could just quote you an extra $20 and call it handling, but they have always given me reasonable rates and I've been extremely pleased with their service.
They are a small company and most likely don't have the agreements with shipping companies that an Amazon does.
I agree, you've got an expensive toy and your worrying about a few dollars?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys.....I have some progress to report. Although I did give up the CC number to the lady upon first contact, I also asked that they call and let me know what the shipping was (emphasis on verb tense) so I would know what the total hit to the CC would be.....one can't be to careful in these days of identiy/information theft, you know.

I agree for the most part with the universal positive comments I've read on here re: Finish Line and their customer service. I wish I had that impression from my limited contacts with them. I am in agreement with the quote below by crASH, so how about a history re: this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crASH View Post
When any of us deal with an on-line vendor for the first time, our (at least my) lasting impression of them is based on only a few things. Do they have what I want, do they "appear" reputable enough for me to share my credit card info, what are their return policies, and how much is the shipping?
I contacted Finish Line a while back regarding the bumper over-riders I needed, here's a quote from a different thread that explains the treatment the phone representative offered:

Quote:
I want to buy some over-riders for my Cobra...it already has the rear "bumper" assembly, but not the vertical part you see here:

Finish Line Accessories

I have the over-riders on the front bumper, but not on the rear. The description says "Open back". Well, I know there must be some sort of bracket or panel back there through which the bolts that hold them to the rear bumper will pass, but the young gentleman to whom I spoke denied that there is any sort of bracket or plate back there....and then proceeded to give me the center to center dimension for the two bolts. The gentleman also said "Well, that's not going to happen" when I asked for him to email me a photo of the back of the over-rider.....not exactly great customer service.

Has anyone ordered their over-riders from Finish Line? If so, is it possible that someone might have a photo of the back of theirs they can share here on the forum, along with a depth measurement on the distance between the back of the "bolt bracket" and the inside of the over-rider? I just want to make sure I'll be able to bolt them on my Cobra....I suspect Finish Line would take them back if they won't fit, I just don't want to have to spend all that money for the shipping both ways.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, folks!

Cheers from Doug!
OK, so their "customer service" is already questionable, and this was on my first contact.

I finally managed to get hold of Enzo, himself, who assured me that the parts are as I need. Good to go, I make the call that started this thread. OK, so now it's 2 strikes against FL's "customer service".

But, hold on, I remembered reading through a locked thread that was posted by someone who had issues with FL's shipping cost practices, read this:

I had no reservations regarding the reputation of the company, their return policy was acceptable, so despite what might well have been a 3rd strike for some weaker-hearted individuals, I picked up the phone to order, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
Given how fussed you are already over the shipping costs (you have a very expensive car and you're worried over a few bucks for shipping?) , I wouldn't tell you the cost until I knew exactly what the charge is.

Turns out a lot of wannabe lawyers (and some real lawyers) own Cobras. I'd be afraid that if I were wrong on the shipping cost, I'd have you calling and whining and then threatening to not do business and then spreading my name on the internet.

Its the folks who get wrapped around the axle over this sort of stuff that makes businesses shy away from providing the very ROM cost you want them to give you.

I for one do not blame them.
I understand your concerns regarding the litigous nature of our society, ItBites----I worked in the field of Special Education for 32 years and believe me, almost EVERY parent is just looking for a reason to sue the school districts. However, regarding this part of your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
....I'd be afraid that if I were wrong on the shipping cost, I'd have you calling and whining and then threatening to not do business and then spreading my name on the internet.

I submit that most with my "history" with FL would not have even picked up that phone.....after all, there are competitors for our dollars out there !

I have never had any interest in suing FL or any other vendor from whom I have ordered. I'm thankful they are in business and that we can get parts for our cars. I disagree with you that I "...already are and weren't even mislead on shipping costs". I only reported factually my experience, and the issue is obviously important to others, judging from many of the comments above. However, I do agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
They are a small company and most likely don't have the agreements with shipping companies that an Amazon does.
...and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
...I have bought from F-L in the past and I will do so in the future. But the "we can't figure out shipping until we drop it off" thing is just silly at best. I mean dang; buy a scale and a measuring tape.
In the end, all I asked for was an "estimate", and FL did honor their promise to call back with the information I requested. I will be happy to order from them again.

I saved the best for last....how much was the shipping? In the end, it was quite reasonable, only $12.....less than 10% of the price of the merchandise.

Why do I mention this? Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
It is nice to get a heads up once in a while. Thanks Dugly.
Terry gets it----the issue is a repetitive one on this board, and if anyone can get any sort of feeling for how they want to deal with Finish Line's shipping practices, the better for it! FL is still on my list of "approved vendors"

Cheers from Dugly

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

We should all be so lucky to even have ACCESS to a U.S.-based supplier that stocks all of the various accessories that Finishline offers. Not many suppliers in this Cobra biz that cover all the ground that they do. Despite any minor shortcomings, they provide everyone a valuable service.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am in agreement with the quote below by crASH, so how about a history re: this project?
YerDugliness, I love that name, really. Speaking of on-line purchases, i just paid one son's college tuition on-line a few minutes ago. My other son's tuition gets pilfered monthly from my wife's bank account. Soooo.... my Cobra "project" is still in the beg, scheme, drool, dream mode for now. My references in my post above were to on-line purchases in general. The biggest being professional grade banjos and guitars, which I am now selling off one at the time.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by crASH View Post
... my Cobra "project" is still in the beg, scheme, drool, dream mode for now. My references in my post above were to on-line purchases in general. The biggest being professional grade banjos and guitars, which I am now selling off one at the time.
Now you've got my interest! PM sent!

Cheers from Dugly

Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None
Send a message via AIM to PE Cobra
Not Ranked     

It’s always been a pleasure doing business with Finish Line. I’ve never had any problems with them.

I know from experience ,it can sometimes be hard to give the customer a shipping estimate, every item weighs different and it also depends on the size of the box, so rather than to give the customer the wrong price on shipping, its easier for me also to let them know the price when I get the order ready.

Jennifer Hinderberger
Performance Engineering, LLC
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wanted to let all know that the shipping for two bumper over-riders was right at $12. That was slightly less than 10% of the purchase price.

IMHO the shipping cost was not excessive (I must admit I was impressed with the quality of the product...it was WAAAY heavier than I expected and incredibly well made) and I was not trying to be "cheap"....I was just wanting a ballpark figure and it seems that a simple statement something to the effect of "...our usual shipping charges run around 10% of the purchase price, but of course variations can be expected based on the items ordered" might have been helpful. I, for one, was not asking for a specific number, just an estimate.

In the end, I am very happy with the product and pleasantly surprised at the "low" cost of shipping....these things are VERY heavy!

Cheers, Dugly