Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: Backdraft Racing

Get in one, have someone close the door and not let you out for 30 minutes just sitting there... Not many would still want one given the cost and other options.

I had "ours" for 2+ years. Of the 600 or so miles I would say about 75 or so were pure enjoyment and freedom... The rest were plagued by avoiding others driving over me, crashing into the side of me while taking photos, insisting on "racing" me, limited visibility, awful trailer loading and unloading, fueling both sides, etc.

If you think a Cobra is a bunch of tinkering, a GT40 replica will school you.

Last edited by Cashburn; 01-22-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

There is a half way house alternative... Daytona coupe!!!! full roof , aircon, rear storage space.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPC #0039, 427R Roush

Dang BMBC,

You beat me to it! Was literally just typing the thought - Daytona Coupe!

Rick
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO

I was at Barrett Jackson, went to the SPF booth and sat in both a GT40 and Daytona Coupe. I fit in both, which surprised the crap out of me.

They had a Daytona there with competition flares that looked stunning- I have never been a big fan of the Daytona, but that one changed my mind. Anyone have pics of that one?

I was looking because living in Vancouver the driving options with a cobra where the chances of rain are low seems to leave one with not many driving days...
Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Of course we still sell GT40s where BDR doesn't anymore, but that couldn't be a factor now could it?
How can this sarcastic question not be disrespectful to Jay, who used to sell BDR GT's? Honestly, you were disrespectful to me in another thread. Whatever happened to kindness?

Back to the GT40 replica discussion. I've always wanted a GT40 replica myself. But, I agree with Jay. I've sat in a SPF GT40 and I'm an average-sized man and I found it very confining and you can see almost nothing behind you. The windows are extremely small and the whole experience made me claustrophobic.

"twobjshelbys" had/has the right idea. Buy a 2005-2006 Ford GT.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

[quote=RodKnock;1172365]How can this sarcastic question not be disrespectful to Jay, who used to sell BDR GT's? Honestly, you were disrespectful to me in another thread. Whatever happened to kindness?
QUOTE]

Jay and I have a mutual disrespect society!

And is it not true that he no longer sells a GT product and therefor would not be real supporive of a purchase of said GT? Did he tell the people he sold them to when BDR offered them that they weren't as good as a "Cobra"? I don't know, I'm just speculating. I have ragged on him, but have always offered to buy the beers at Carlisle. Trust me, we have eaten, drank and bullsh!tted with several other manufacturers and dealers who are supposed to be "competitors" but in reality are on the same ship as us.

I am sorry but I don't recall the other thread where I "dissed" you. Of course it is OK for anyone on CC to trash anyone/anything so long as it is not the brand they own. (Patrick's patented "but I smileyed so it doesn't count defense")

I dunno, I have been around here since 2000 and yes, I have seen a decline in general courtesy. And not directed at you, but I do not believe in "disrespect"....Respect is earned, not given and I don't think I can take something away that has not been earned.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 01-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: PWD spelling
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum

Quote:
Of course it is OK for anyone on CC to trash anyone/anything so long as it is not the brand they own. (Patrick's patented "but I smileyed so it doesn't count defense")
Hey, don't drag me in to this fray. Frankly I was shocked at your outrageous behavior towards RodKnock. You really should apologize -- and a genuine one too, not a crappy one.

Quote:
Respect is earned, not given and I don't think I can take something away that has not been earned.
Ehhrrrgg, RodKnock's not going to let that one just roll off his back. I call "cheap shot."
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Default Here is a completely different route...

I wanted a GT40....did the research for a couple years....went back and forth between a replica and a Ford....finally...bought a Z06 Corvette instead. ???? Half the money plenty of fun... it is a true GT car that can be driven across the country in any weather in complete comfort and it is economical to drive and maintain and trouble free....smoooth as glass. I may yet scratch that itch for a 40....just because... if you haven't driven a modern Covette give it a try...Silverback bought one as a driver cuz he lives in the wet side, and last I heard, he was surprised and happy with it... I know it is heresy....but....
Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Hey, don't drag me in to this fray. Frankly I was shocked at your outrageous behavior towards RodKnock. You really should apologize -- and a genuine one too, not a crappy one.

Ehhrrrgg, RodKnock's not going to let that one just roll off his back. I call "cheap shot."
The Buddha taught that the root cause of our suffering is ignorance. He also taught that we must have compassion for all even for those who don't deserve it.

"Respect" in the context that Mark IV uses it?

I think Jay had/has an observation that many of us have about the GT40. They're not waterproof tight product, rearward vision is limited, they're hot inside even with the A/C on and they feel claustrophobic to some, like me. This isn't new news.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Of course we still sell GT40s where BDR doesn't anymore, but that couldn't be a factor now could it?
as a superformance dealer I hope you realize that prospective customers read your posts. You're representing your brand, and coming across as arrogant and disrespectful in these forums will only cause potential customers to consider how you would treat them (during both pre and post purchase service and support).

good luck!
Art
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

SPF daytona race coupe
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Backdraft Racing

Don't worry about Mr. Muck, he's sold a ton of cars for me over the years. I suppose I should buy him a beer.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Decline in general courtesy, let's see, we are all getting older, the economy sucks, Washington sucks, the only going good in this country is APple!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Default Uhhh, Not Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Decline in general courtesy, let's see, we are all getting older, the economy sucks, Washington sucks, the only going good in this country is APple!!!!!!
Several people have commented that I have become not only kinder, but gentler as well, showing increased tolerance and courtesy to others while embracing contrary viewpoints, some of which lack any redeeming value whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF GT40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think Jay had/has an observation that many of us have about the GT40. They're not waterproof tight product, rearward vision is limited, they're hot inside even with the A/C on and they feel claustrophobic to some, like me. This isn't new news.
Even though I love my SPF GT40 I have to agree with you. Some people don't like the limitations you noted. I try to avoid rain and have not enjoyed driving it in rain. The A/C is just adequate and the rear vision is limited, but having a Lotus Europa for a long time it suited me. The cockpit is spacious compared to a Europa, but some just don't like the low feel. It definitely costs more than a Cobra, but you're getting a more exclusive car with expensive components like the transaxle. I think it outhandles a Cobra on track, but it's not as nimble as my Lotus. It attracts a lot of attention everywhere you go. So much so you get annoyed with idiots hanging out of their vehicles with cellphone cameras aimed at you. Is it superior to a Cobra? Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 01-24-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Several people have commented that I have become not only kinder, but gentler as well, showing increased tolerance and courtesy to others while embracing contrary viewpoints, some of which lack any redeeming value whatsoever.
Yes, I can see that your kinder and gentler.

Swift, don't get me wrong, I've wanted a GT40 for a long time, and came close to buying a GT40 roller a couple years ago. But once you close the door, there's no convertible top, no sunroof and no windows to roll down.

I like the Ford GT's and for an extra $50,000 +/-, I think they're a better choice for many reasons.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

RodKnock is right. They do have A/C, but the windows are the in-place plexiglass/lexan with the access port. I could see getting a major case of claustrophobia. I'm told you can get regular roll-up windows if you want but then you wouldn't be able to vintage race. I'm sure Lance can answer all these questions and more.

I settled on the Ford GT because it met my wife's criteria for creature comforts. I will state that the new CSX9000 Daytona Coupes (slightly remodeled interior from the previous SPF version) and it's creature comfort index was quite high and it also had real trunk space. The FGT has none. I don't care what you call that little thing in front, it don't work.

A former FGT owner who lives near by swapped his red FGT for a SPF GT40. We did a spirited drive on the day I got mine and pretty much put them into hibernation for the winter. We will regroup in the spring. I don't believe I would fit in it - I think the steering wheel would hit my lap. This can be solved with lower seats but in this respect a GT40 pretty much has to be "fit" to the owner. He put the same engine I had in my Cobra - Roush 427R (he got carbs instead of DFI) and changed the mufflers and it sounds great! I wish I could get my FGT to sound like that.

Good luck!

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-25-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Anyone know the weight difference of Ford GT vs a SPF gt40 with lets say the roush 427?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
Anyone know the weight difference of Ford GT vs a SPF gt40 with lets say the roush 427?
Ford GT 3485lbs

SPFGT40 2400 for the Rolling Chassis...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
I will check with my friend. He has that config. Gonna be a lot lighter, comparable to a Cobra.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: