14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Ford GT's still being wrecked???

I know for a little while someyears ago there was an abundance of Ford GT wrecks. Not sure if this is current but daummmmmm.

Salvage Ford Gt cars for sale. Damaged, repairable, wrecked Ford Gt cars

Wonder what the number of GT's have been that have been written off. Maybe if the numbers out there are severely lowered the values will increase. Still a lot of GT's out there.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
I know for a little while someyears ago there was an abundance of Ford GT wrecks. Not sure if this is current but daummmmmm.

Salvage Ford Gt cars for sale. Damaged, repairable, wrecked Ford Gt cars

Wonder what the number of GT's have been that have been written off. Maybe if the numbers out there are severely lowered the values will increase. Still a lot of GT's out there.
I have heard as many as 1000 have been totaled, hard to say though because some were not reported to keep from affecting the value. Some have even had a little title washing done to protect the value and fool the new buyer.
Values have been increasing in the last few years. The problem with Ford GT's is that parts are just not available and when they are they are really expensive. That may also be a reason for the increase in price. Hard to verify, but numbers in the high 200k range are being reported and even 300k for low mileage Heritage editions.

Ford GT's have ABS brakes and that is the extent of bad driver protection.
Lots of people that bought them because they could afford them were not qualified to drive them, thus lots of crashes.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

To date over 20% of GTs have a reportable accident history which is why "no story" cars are selling at a premium.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.

Roughly 3200 no story FGTs exist today. Out of that number a number exist out of the U.S.

My estimate is roughly 3000 no story cars exist in us.

My bet is that in 10 years or less they are $1 million dollar cars with even less no story cars at that time.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

There are 4038 Ford GTs, so if 20% of them have had major accidents that would be 800... I'm doubtful that there are 800 FGTs totaled. They are a handful and many were wrecked within the first 10 miles of leaving the dealer. I know one that was even wrecked by the dealer (the car was in for service). But 20% seems too high. Somewhere between 10-15 % maybe.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Ford GT's have ABS brakes and that is the extent of bad driver protection.
Lots of people that bought them because they could afford them were not qualified to drive them, thus lots of crashes.
Very true. When they first came out there were a lot of younger folks with more money than brains that didn't realize what they had or how to drive it.

Then came all the buzz about tweaking the GT's right out of the box to get even more horsepower by playing with programs, changing out the pulleys to spin up the supercharger, etc.

I heard or read about several cases where GT's were getting trashed within the first month of ownership!

This "more money than brains" practice is not limited to the GT's. Just go here and you'll see what I mean. There are so many examples, they sorted by car make! And yes, there is a Ford page full of GT's.

Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks
Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
There are 4038 Ford GTs, so if 20% of them have had major accidents that would be 800... I'm doubtful that there are 800 FGTs totaled. They are a handful and many were wrecked within the first 10 miles of leaving the dealer. I know one that was even wrecked by the dealer (the car was in for service). But 20% seems too high. Somewhere between 10-15 % maybe.
I didn't say "totaled", I said with "reportable damage" i.e. an insurance claim. I know of a GT that had over 50K of damage that was NOT put through insurance.

Ford had told us (dealers) that a large percentage of purchasers would be first time supercar owners and many would only purchase because it was a US product and a "Ford" so I think that would explain the high rate of damage. There was a GT totaled after being unloaded and being driven form the receiving lot to the dealership....despite the power limiting program in the ECU that limited boost until more than 50 miles!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:36 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
The problem with Ford GT's is that parts are just not available and when they are they are really expensive.
Parts are available, Ford committed to a ten year minimum parts supply but yes, they are expensive. You can purchase a new frame from Ford.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Smile

We have a Ford dealer in the next town who has a small collection of cars. He received one of the Ford GT and kept it for his collection.
The story goes he was carrying his insurance agent of a ride and wrecked the Ford GT.
The frame cost $50,000 so they total the car and he bought another one. I have see him on the road driving the GT.

He's a car guy.

Dwight
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Parts are available, Ford committed to a ten year minimum parts supply but yes, they are expensive. You can purchase a new frame from Ford.
How about gauges that actually work instead of failing again (Speedo and Tach)
how about a new transaxle. I had the window between the engine bay and passenger compartment crack and it took 4 months to get new glass at a cost of $1600 not installed. What would dealer cost be for a new rear hatch unpainted of course, the prices on this stuff are ridiculous. What are headlight modules now, I have heard 5K for 1. I tracked my car for the last 8 years with no incidents. I don't even run drive it on the street anymore because if it gets hit it will be a nightmare trying to get it fixed.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Very true. When they first came out there were a lot of younger folks with more money than brains that didn't realize what they had or how to drive it.

Then came all the buzz about tweaking the GT's right out of the box to get even more horsepower by playing with programs, changing out the pulleys to spin up the supercharger, etc.

I heard or read about several cases where GT's were getting trashed within the first month of ownership!

This "more money than brains" practice is not limited to the GT's. Just go here and you'll see what I mean. There are so many examples, they sorted by car make! And yes, there is a Ford page full of GT's.

Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks
Most of the Ford GT wrecks that I know about are old guys like me with crappy reflexes and no fast car experience. The GT is a lot like a Cobra only a lot more stable until you go too far.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS

Tires are the NO# 1 issue with these cars. If you buy one, get rid of the almost 10 year old F1's immediately.
Bridgestones work fantastic, they will do wonders to keep your car wrinkle-free.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Ford GT tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Tires are the NO# 1 issue with these cars. If you buy one, get rid of the almost 10 year old F1's immediately.
Bridgestones work fantastic, they will do wonders to keep your car wrinkle-free.
The Goodyears were not good even when new, Michelin Pilot Supersports work very well too. You have to be careful to keep the revolutions per mile at the same ratio as the Goodyears when changing tires or the ABS will tell the ECU that there is a problem and you will instantly be in limp home mode.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby

I wonder how many Viper owners that wrecked their cars early on moved to Ford GTs.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX Cars

When I had mine I thought the car was pretty tame compared to the cobra. I just didn't like getting in and out of the damn thing. Still is a nice car for the fun factor.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Vipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
I wonder how many Viper owners that wrecked their cars early on moved to Ford GTs.
You are correct on that one, so many people in the Fresno viper club bought GT's that they allowed Ford GT owners to belong to the Viper club as associate members. The president of the Viper club crashed his Viper big time at Laguna Seca and broke his passengers leg during a track day. He now has a GT with an up-sized Whipple blower.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
My bet is that in 10 years or less they are $1 million dollar cars with even less no story cars at that time.
Alternatively, you could invest the $250,000 +/- into a 5-star level mutual fund or ETF that earns roughly 15% per year over a 10-year period and also get $1,000,000. There are roughly 100+ high quality mutual funds or ETF's that earn that minimum level (15%) of annual return.

Certainly not risk-free, but neither is owning a $250K +/- car that may (or may not) have the "potential" of being a $1,000,000 car.

Usually, Patrick is the person making these WAG's.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Alternatively, you could invest the $250,000 +/- into a 5-star level mutual fund or ETF that earns roughly 15% per year over a 10-year period and also get $1,000,000. There are roughly 100+ high quality mutual funds or ETF's that earn that minimum level (15%) of annual return.

Certainly not risk-free, but neither is owning a $250K +/- car that may (or may not) have the "potential" of being a $1,000,000 car.

Usually, Patrick is the person making these WAG's.
You can't drive a ETF

I didn't buy my GT thinking it would every be anything but a depreciating asset. The fact that it isn't doesn't change the part of taking it out and driving it. Now that we are in Vegas it's a little easier to do.

I'd like to know what ETFs are turning 15% by the way...
Old 06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
You can't drive a ETF

I didn't buy my GT thinking it would every be anything but a depreciating asset. The fact that it isn't doesn't change the part of taking it out and driving it. Now that we are in Vegas it's a little easier to do.

I'd like to know what ETFs are turning 15% by the way...
Research is your friend. Took me a couple minutes with an online screener.

Come on, who drives their FGT's? The FGT's that I see for sale have very little or are still in their wrapper with no mileage.

You may not be able to drive a mutual fund or ETF, but nonetheless, it could still put a smile on your face when see your monthly statement arrives, if you buy the right ones. Easier to sell too, when the time comes.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Well all valid points but I just remember all the crashes years ago and was wondering if it still occurs in big numbers. Man there were some famous street crashes over the years with several Ferrari's busted in half like a water melon. Investment when it comes to cars is never in my equation.

By the way what is ETF? Oh wait I should know, man my * * * is rolling in his grave. lol

By the way there is an index for collectable investment cars out there but I really never follow it.

Last edited by Jamo; 08-19-2014 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Request of poster.