[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGe_tJbQOCk[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzL6txF7oMo[/ame]

Part 2, Richard sells the "Iron Man" Cobra to a Comic Book museum for $75K
Old 11-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

I saw the F40 they "fixed" at Barrett-Jackson. I was not impressed to say it politely. I an sure they can barn up the GT just as well.

Easy to make money when the producers are footing the bill for a TV show. A lot harder in the real world.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

If you watched the entire show you will hear them say the "purists" will disagree with what they did. Frankly I'm glad they did it. This was a "storied" car and while the seller said it had a clear title, it was probably not an insurance claim since the frame damage clearly would have been caught by an adjuster and made it salvage. That said, unlike the F40, this car will forever carry with it the alert that "something made it be changed into this" and noone will ever think they have anything other than what it is - a rebuilt wreck.

The F40 was bought at Barrett Jackson by Reggie Jackson (who was not present, either internet or phone bidding) and he sold it at the next auction.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: johnex

You need to remember fixing car's in the real world isn't that exciting. How many novas and mustangs do u want to see. It was cool to see it all apart. Just imagine paying good money for it to find out she was munched. I am guessing it had a good title so u only find out when it comes apart. It's nice to see a guy still playing with cars and getting kids intrested in the hobby.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct clint View Post
You need to remember fixing car's in the real world isn't that exciting. How many novas and mustangs do u want to see. It was cool to see it all apart. Just imagine paying good money for it to find out she was munched. I am guessing it had a good title so u only find out when it comes apart. It's nice to see a guy still playing with cars and getting kids intrested in the hobby.
A Ford GT with a Air Bag suspension is going to raise some eyebrows. The only one other modified GTs not done on wrecked cars were the GTX series and that awful Gaudin Ford thing that I think they have sold none of.

LIke Cobras, the GT buyer base is pretty well informed and will get a PPI. This car won't ride under the radar screen.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I think the value of this car will be artificially inflated by it's TV / Celebrity status. This car will be sold or auctioned as "Featured on Gas Monkey Garage".
Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The F40 was bought at Barrett Jackson by Reggie Jackson...
Mr. October has a penchant for acquiring cars of a somewhat impure origin.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Personally salvage does not bother me at all. I know most of you wouldnt touch it with a stick, but for the younger generation like me, it makes nicer vehicles affordable to me that I may not be able to afford. My insurance company insures it as a regular vehicle as well, unless totalled....again, then there is a fine line of replacement cost.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

In this discussion salvage is more about performance and safety than beauty. I would not want to be on the track in that car nor would I want it on the track with mine. Sure if you want to take it to car shows.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Default I don't get the negativity...

I may be missing something but I wonder how many real track cars have undergone extensive damage repairs or restoration without anyone being concerned about sharing a track with them. I thought your initial gripe with this car was the issue that it could be sold on with no note on the title indicating it was damaged; or maybe the fact that it had some custom modifications. How would it be any different if the owner at the time of the accident decided to keep it, fix it and put it back on the road? Do you believe the damage was so extensive that it would be impossible to repair to original specs? Should the car have been discarded and sent to the crusher instead of being repaired?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"

No different than buying any other used car, except the price. The little womans mini van may have been thru a crash, flood or a mobile meth lab for that matter. It's always buyer beware.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

What do Gt owners think about this one?

FarRider: The fastest Ride between point A and point B
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I may be missing something but I wonder how many real track cars have undergone extensive damage repairs or restoration without anyone being concerned about sharing a track with them. I thought your initial gripe with this car was the issue that it could be sold on with no note on the title indicating it was damaged; or maybe the fact that it had some custom modifications. How would it be any different if the owner at the time of the accident decided to keep it, fix it and put it back on the road? Do you believe the damage was so extensive that it would be impossible to repair to original specs? Should the car have been discarded and sent to the crusher instead of being repaired?
I have no gripe on this car. I actually find it an interesting "conversion" and because of that, the history of it can never be buried. I thought it looked "wicked" but that's just because all black no stripe cars look "wicked". It's probably fine for street use.

The frame should have been replaced not welded.

By the way, you'd be surprised how many cars have been repaired with no history on carfax. That is the reason every GT purchase should get a PPI.

Race cars are immune from the stigma of a repair. Original Cobras included. That beautiful Jag original that got wrecked at the vintage race a few weeks ago will be repaired too with no stigma attached. But most modern era cars that have a carfax blemish (GTs included) will trade for less than an unrepaired car. Salvage cars are penalized even more That's just the way it is.

I keep waiting for the video of them bouncing the front wheels off the ground. The diffusers probably wouldn't survive though.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

I watched it and must say that I cringed when they started welding up the frame!

My gut kept telling me that the car needed to be at a different place that was familiar with repairing Ford GT's. I'm sure are plenty because they get wrecked all the time.

But...I guess it makes for good TV to the masses.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I watched it and must say that I cringed when they started welding up the frame!

My gut kept telling me that the car needed to be at a different place that was familiar with repairing Ford GT's. I'm sure are plenty because they get wrecked all the time.

But...I guess it makes for good TV to the masses.
The guy that sold the car to the Monkeys knows how to repair them. Hinted that there might be some other issues. All the Monkeys cared about was clear title.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 289 Street

[quote=Bernica;1369996]I watched it and must say that I cringed when they started welding up the frame!

I agree. The frames on FGTs are special alloy, and require appropriate welding technique, equipment and after-weld process. That frame is suspect, and not trustworthy. Apples to zucchini comparison to a mini-van type low tech sheet steel repair. FGT Forum has a detailed thread on the Monkey GT.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 289 Street

[quote=FarRider;1369960]What do Gt owners think about this one?

As an owner of a late '06, I guess 'have at it'.

It's a documented salvage car, well announced as such on TV. If they want to butcher it for ratings, that's their perog.. they paid for it. However, their perception of what its final value is.. well, serious crack smoking. A 'poke and hope' frame repair and airbags won't bring even close of what they are anticipating.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65

Almost ever GT I see has been modded, nobody leaves them stock it seems, why would you if you drive it, al least keep the original parts and make it louder and faster...
Old 11-03-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler

What is a PPI?

Separately, you'll notice during the show they use O'Reilly brand oil. Sort of gives you a clue about the quality of their work.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
What is a PPI?

Separately, you'll notice during the show they use O'Reilly brand oil. Sort of gives you a clue about the quality of their work.
PPI= Pre Purchase Inspection, done by a third party who is supposed to know the car and what to look for.

I would venture O'Reilly is a sponsor. And look on the oil container to see who actually makes it. NAPA brand is done by Valvoline for example.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/