Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Don't underestimate the joy of a high-end Japanese toilet.
And every new house must have a bidet too.

And there's the home theater equipment, do you sound and video or SOUND AND VIDEO!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

By the way, when rodneym wanted a paint job, he didn't take his Cobra to Maaco or Earl Schieb. He went to the best in his area, McCluskey. What do you think his expectations were for his paint job?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
By the way, when rodneym wanted a paint job, he didn't take his Cobra to Maaco or Earl Schieb. He went to the best in his area, McCluskey. What do you think his expectations were for his paint job?
I was given a quote of between 25-30K to repaint mine and that was in 2010. That number was from both McCluskey and the Murray brothers.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Quote:
And I'll quote myself.

The Shelby Engine Co., which is now owned by Denbeste in Windsor and a Shelby dealer, has a 496 crate FE engine on eBay right now for $30,000. Yes, I'm sure you can find an engine builder to do it cheaper, $10,000-$12,000 for a RBT-ZF transaxle and shipping, and of course, there's likelihood for upgrades to what the factory provides in a roller.

And I know around here, the top notch facilities will charge $100/hour +/- for labor. And you know the shop will want a reasonable profit margin.
And there lies the "sink hole". As RodKnock mentioned in so many words, once you are in deep for a $170k roller, you simply have to finish strong with the good stuff. I can't imagine someone being in that deep and wanting to finish on the cheap. That would haunt me every time I drove it.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine

Does anyone know what the price is for the non-50th version that has been available for a few years?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Does anyone know what the price is for the non-50th version that has been available for a few years?
As of August 2015, the new SPF GT40 roller price was $110,000 option-less. I'll bet they've gone up a bit since then.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
As of August 2015, the new SPF GT40 roller price was $110,000 option-less. I'll bet they've gone up a bit since then.
Still $109,900 for a roller, MK I or MK II in SPF form.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Still $109,900 for a roller, MK I or MK II in SPF form.
So, if I read this right it's a $50k upcharge for the 50th anniversary?
Same car, a MK II ready for an FE, right?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA

That is what I was getting at originally, there is no way that they added $50K worth of materials to the car. I still think that about $10-$20K for an install above the price of the engine and transmission is a little steep. Pretty good money for an install. I do not imagine that they will have too much difficulty finding people who have to have one, and as others have pointed out, those buyers will not cheap out on the install and other goodies. If you have enough money to consider dropping $230K on a car, what's a few few more thousand dollars anyway. This is not the car that somebody in the middle class who worked hard and saved all of his money is going to buy and then have to cheap out on at the end.

Last edited by 1795; 01-29-2016 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: had to step away for a minute
Old 01-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
So, if I read this right it's a $50k upcharge for the 50th anniversary?
Same car, a MK II ready for an FE, right?
Yep. But that is from Shelby, not Superformance.

A high quality install from an experienced installer on a GT40 is $5-8000 for a standard FE setup not including parts.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:

A high quality install from an experienced installer on a GT40 is $5-8000 for a standard FE setup not including parts.
So, if I factor in $50k for a clean drive train and ready to go, I'm about at the asking price for a Shelby roller? And who is really making this for Shelby? I have my ideas...
Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine

Quote:

I thought you could only get the GT40 through Shelby, even though it is built by Superformance. (The version that's been availble for a few years, not the 50th. ) Am I wrong on that? If so, is the $109k price you gave for the Shelby version or a Superformance version.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I thought you could only get the GT40 through Shelby, even though it is built by Superformance. (The version that's been availble for a few years, not the 50th. ) Am I wrong on that? If so, is the $109k price you gave for the Shelby version or a Superformance version.
GT40's are Superformance orders. You're thinking of the Daytona Coupes which became the CSX9000 series.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Glaring question here is...
If I bought a Shelby GT40 MK II, is it a Superformance or different? And if so, what is different?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
GT40's are Superformance orders. You're thinking of the Daytona Coupes which became the CSX9000 series.
No, Shelby was selling them for a while. Apparently not anymore. I saw a couple in a shop in Las Vegas with Shelby badging. Denbeste used to have a few rollers in stock. They were even on the Shelby website. They were a limited number run so maybe they all sold.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Just like these Shelby had a special edition. It was his 85th birthday edition. They never built all of them just like they won't these. But the regular cars were still in the spf catalog.

Here is from 2008

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/01/s...ctory-with-co/

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-29-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Glaring question here is...
If I bought a Shelby GT40 MK II, is it a Superformance or different? And if so, what is different?
Yes,

These are built along side of the Superformance GT40s in the same factory (Hi-Tech Automotive) and indeed are the same save for the "extra" Shelby features and serial number. These are built under the Safir GT40 license that is held by Superformance, not Shelby.

Yes, these are essentially the "Shelby 85th" GTs offered previously that were limited to 20 of each color and did not sell out. I don't know how many of the "85ths" were built but it was well less than 60 units.

Under the agreement that licensed the Superformance "Cobras" to be "Carroll Shelby Licensing" approved, Shelby dealers gained the ability to sell Superformance product (but not vice-versa, for example an SPF dealer has no right to the Daytona Coupe now) so some Shelby dealers have advertised the standard GT40 models (as Shelby does not offer a "CS" Mk I for instance)

While there have been a few dual Shelby/Superformance dealers most SPF dealers do not handle the Shelby product, myself for example. I have enough doing Superformance right that I don't want to take on the extra inventory, etc. to also be a Shelby dealer.

It is wholly up to a buyer to decide if the "CS GT40" features, serial number and Shelby connection are of value to him/her. As with any "special edition" product the cost/benefit ratio is up to the purchaser.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:

I don't think anyone in these parts, that performs "high quality" installs, will touch my Kirkham for $5.000-$8.000 labor only. Heck, Kirkham charges $10,000 for an install on their export cars. I'd expect a GT40 to be more complicated than a Cobra.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE

Agree with RodKnock here in SoCal.
5-8k is an SPF Cobra install. CSX 10-12k. Maybe that price diference is BS but....
GT40's like 12-15k.
And these are 'regular' installs, not vintage detailed.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Agree with RodKnock here in SoCal.
5-8k is an SPF Cobra install. CSX 10-12k. Maybe that price diference is BS but....
GT40's like 12-15k. And these are 'regular' installs, not vintage detailed.
Yep, "high quality" to me IS vintage detailed. No leaks, corner balanced, no corners cut and no red and blue Aeroquip crap.

And yes, when I'm spending $170,000 plus tax and registration for a roller, or roughly $187,000, my expectation is that when Mike Drew (from GT40s.com) opens the engine compartment, he can't find anything to complain about.