Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-18-2016, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Give up a 991 GT3 for a Superformance GT40?

Currently, Superformance Cobra with Roush 427R and custom 8 stack FI and
a 991 Porsche GT3. Been thinking of going down to one "toy" car instead of two and have always liked the Superformance GT40. Have a chance right now but am
not 100% sure.

Looking for input from anybody who has gone from something like the GT3 to
the Superformance GT40.

Herc 🇺🇸
Old 06-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold

One of those is a dull instrument
Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5

Man, what a tough problem to have to deal with.....
Old 06-18-2016, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF GT40
Smile

Never owned a 991 or any Porsche, but have raced Formula Atlantics (240hp, 1000 lbs.). Love my SPF GT40 with 427SR Roush. Think you would find the GT40 somewhere between your 991 and Cobra. Old school suspension, better handling than the Cobra, but not up to your 991. Acceleration equal to your 991, but less braking ability. The SPF GT40 has historical appeal with brutish attitude. If you're thinking of selling both your Cobra and Porsche I'd say go for it.

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 06-18-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercf16 View Post
Currently, Superformance Cobra with Roush 427R and custom 8 stack FI and
a 991 Porsche GT3. Been thinking of going down to one "toy" car instead of two and have always liked the Superformance GT40. Have a chance right now but am
not 100% sure.

Looking for input from anybody who has gone from something like the GT3 to
the Superformance GT40.

Herc ����
I love Porsche for their performance, build quality and their ability to keep making amazing looking cars. I have to say personally for me the SPF GT40 would take it for me any day of the week. I have a SPF cobra and love the sound/experience of driving the car. If you like road trips, stereos and a quiet car keep the GT3. If this is your toy and you want to feel like your in a cammed out raw race car then you know what to do. You can't go wrong with either car as they are cream of the crop and are both fun toys. I think I would step back end evaluate what type of driving you enjoy and go from there.....I think there are a ton of Superformance owners and replica owners in general who thought since they were a "car" guy that they would enjoy owning one of these. Think about how many 10 year old cobras you see with 2500 miles.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler

I love the GT40, but I think it is hotter and less comfortable than a Cobra. If you drive the GT3 as any sort of a daily driver - even to work maybe 2x a week - then I'd keep it. Neither the GT40 nor the Cobra will fill that role.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Daily driver is a AMG C63 Black Series. Truck for camping, hauling
and going to the airport. Couple of motorcycles also.

Last edited by hercf16; 06-18-2016 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Dax cobra

And an f16 to fly stunt shows ?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercf16 View Post
Daily driver is a AMG C63 Black Series. Truck for camping, hauling
and going to the airport. Couple of motorcycles also.
It sounds like you can afford a gt40 if you want one. I would advise buying one while keeping the GT3. Drive both for a few months and see if you want to part with one or if you are willing to keep both.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklemming View Post
And an f16 to fly stunt shows ?
Sold that one a few years ago
Old 06-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

You will find the GT40 is more "user friendly" than you might think. Many of the people posting that you "can't really use it, too tight, etc., etc." have never driven a proper GT40!

There is a thread on here about driving GT40s to unusual places, etc. I have personally loaded 12 bags of ice in the passenger seat of my GT and delivered it to the paddock at Watkins Glen.

There are some SPF owners who have well North of 25,000 street driven miles on their cars.

Don't listen to people who don't know. I can put you in touch with high mile GT owners, listen to their experiences.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

And you should be asking over on GT40s.com - Powered by vBulletin for answers from people with experience.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
And you should be asking over on GT40s.com - Powered by vBulletin for answers from people with experience.
Never heard of it, I'll check it out, thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Yes, definitely research on GT40s.com, but be advised, while wonderful people, they're inherently biased.

I looked into buying an SPFGT40 and nearly bought one before buying my Cobra. The issues I found with them is that they're a tight fit, tiny popout side windows and the engine being behind you will definitely take some getting used to. Utimately, I prefer an open cockpit. I felt too claustrophobic. Beautiful cars though.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yes, definitely research on GT40s.com, but be advised, while wonderful people, they're inherently biased.
Unlike say, the people on ferrarichat.com?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

I should add that I also own an air-cooled 911 (993), but the engine is right behind you in the GT40. Like right behind you.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra

I have driven Porsches since 1965 and currently have three of them , none are daily drivers....(356, Cayman, 993).....but....

I grew up lusting for a GT40....for me....for driving fun.....no contest...GT 40 Mark I with a small block looking like the original prototype #101 in White ....

My favorite Porsche joke..... the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine....a Porcupine has the pricks on the outside...
Old 06-19-2016, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I don't know if this will help or not but I have some very recent experience with a 991 GT3, my Cobra CSX3170, and a 2005 Ford GT. No GT40 experience other than riding in an original with Jackie Stewart (I never got to drive it). I recently purchased a 991 GT3, it is an amazing machine and can do things that none of the other cars listed could begin to do on a race course, autox or even street driving. It makes you a far better driver than you really are because of PDK, stability control, traction control and ABS. It is fast, consistent and stops better than any passenger car I have ever driven.
My Cobra is much faster but an order of magnitude harder to drive.
The Ford GT is also faster but lacks four wheel steering and other helpful nannies that can save your a$$.
The GT40 replica will be 1960's technology which means crude
vs what you have now. If you want a great handling mid engine car how about a used McLaren 512, 570 or 650s they have all the bells and whistles and will out handle any replica GT40 and out run it as well. I have gone through years of upgrading my Cobra to keep it competitive but have to say the Porsche is a lot nicer and more rewarding to drive. The Cobra makes you feel incompetent at the slightest mistake in throttle or steering inputs. The Porsche fixes it for you and nobody even knows.
You will also really miss those perfect PDK shifts each and every time and the wheel spin free launches. I love fast cars
but am finding the newer cars can out do older stuff with ease.
If you are interested in appearance and don't care about performance or creature comfort then the replica GT40 might be for you. It is just a matter of individual taste, not trying to upset anybody but those are my experiences so thought I would share. Lots of people shun all the help and want to do everything them selves shifting, braking and throttle that is fine but if it is slower count me out and believe me it is.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

What is "1960s" technology? I have owned a Ford GT and a GT40. One is a street car and the other is a race car. Don't think one had any more technology than the other.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold

I believe #3170's post was implying the GT3 was miles ahead in performance and safety technology than the GT40.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: