Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #593,427 S.O.
Default CAV versus SPF versus ERA GT40

Thanks to all the informative folks who have commented on the various GT40
replicas on the market. In particular, a big thanks to Johan for some very candid and helpful tips.

I chased a couple of 2006 Ford Gts on Ebay that had "Buy it Nows" in the $174K range. With a $50K downpayment and Ford Credit financing for 60 to 72 months, you're talking $2300-$2500/month.That would be hard to handle--especially after my wife would probably divorce me in the interim.

The only way I'm going to experience a Gt40 is the replica route---

Having owned ERA Cobra #593 I think their kit is very well done, but pricey.

The SPF car is nice but admittedly a tough fit for my 6 ft 2 in. 235# self.
The steering column rubs the tops of the legs and headroom is tight.
Love the looks but if you can't fit---nothing really matters.

What about the CAV car? I've seen the selling points on VIP Classics site, but I'd like to hear from the man that owns one.

I've seen a few "done" CAV cars for sale that are probably a good buy versus building one from scratch.

Is the CAV a more forgiving car than the SPF for a guy my size?

Thanks-Dandy Don
Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder

You have left out the RCR (race car replicas), If you want to go kit route you ought to look into their's before making a decision. I have been looking at their MKIV, but they do offer a MKI an II. I'm pretty impressed with the construction and Dean Lampe on here, just purchased a MKI so he can probably give you some first hand info.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Rcr Gt40

Thanks for the tip. I'll be honest; I saw the RCR car at the PRI show in Orlando and was not very impressed. Now I must admit I do not know the whole story on that car----it was fresh out of the molds and the gelcoat is already colored red. The rear vents were very rough. The interior was all aluminum and the front end was very flexible. It seemed like a very lightweight racing model versus a car destined for street use.

I will admit to being a novice on GT40 kits. But after seeing the CAV, the SPF, and the ERA----the RCR did not seem as substantial.

But differences are what makes the world go around. Some people like Kirkham
and ERA Cobras and some like FFRs---to each his own.

I guess that's what so great about this Forum----you get to talk to those who own cars and products.

Good luck with your MKV--

Dandy Don
Old 12-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Dandy Don,

Please dont confuse an as delivered "kit" with no finish work being done with a turn key minus car from another manufacturer...
Our display at the PRI is to show EXACTLY what is received in rolling kit form for $42,000 when a customer takes delivery...not a finished turn key minus.
We could have laid out all the rest of the components like driveshafts, shifter etc etc etc that are also included but we chose not to.

I appreciate your description but please compare apples to apples...

Cheers
Old 12-28-2006, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

That was my car at PRI and the reason I chose RCR was that I am 6'2 205 and I did not fit in the SPF either. I think the CAV is every bit as tight. The truth is the GT40 was never built for a tall guy like us.

My $.02 on RCR is that with a complete interior (supplied in the kit), $5000 on a paint job (probably less to get the quality of the average roller) a $30,000 drivetrain and a few odds and ends I am on the road with a GREAT car for the price of a SPF roller and less that the ERA kit! (apples to apples).

I am a proud owner of a beautiful Kirkham and I am a fanatic for detail. That is WHY I chose the RCR. This is a remarkable kit. Fran can do a turnkey minus for about $58,000. It's like you said, there are many reasons to buy one kit over another. " some people like Kirkham cobras and some people like ERA's and FFR's."

All kidding aside, if you saw all the cars in thier "raw" form as you saw the RCR and you still didn't think it was for you, thats cool. But you can only see a CAV and SPF all finished and shined up. Don't you every wonder whats under the paint?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

Don, I have CAV MONO 14 and it has been a really good and fun car. The fit and finish is excellent,and I, like Dean own a Kirkham cobra and insist on quaility. I had the oppurtunity to sit in a SPF MK11 recently and it was also very nice and well finished as all SPF products seem to be. The cars seemed to be finished out about the same as far as quaility goes,with each having some unique features that were nice. I have never seen a RCR, although I would agree it is hard to compare the RCR kit with a CAV or SPF roller. I suspect you will find it hard to fit in the SPF or CAV or any GT40,they are small. My car has the lowered seat pans and that helps.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Rcr Gt40

Fran and Dean- You both raise good points, and Dean sounds like he's a picky kind of guy and certainly knows good from bad.

The CAV and SPF cars were finished rollers;both shined to the max.

The CAV car was in the showroom at VIP Classics in San Diego and Roy Sayles drives it to work on a daily basis. (The joys of Southern California weather.)

It appears to be able to fit a taller driver (their website says 6 ft 4in.) although they all appear tough to enter. Roy stands up on the seat to get in---wonder what that does to the seat covers over time?

I'm guessing all these cars are rough as a corn cob when newly popped out of the molds.

I owe you guys an apology---didn't intend to disrespect anyone. Fran's operation isn't an overly far drive. I think it would be worth a drive to check the cars out in person and see if I fit.

Thanks for the opinions---

Dandy Don
Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

Don, there is never a shortage of opinions around here! Good luck on your choice. I will only suggest that you do sit in the cars before you buy. It is no fun driving a car that is to tight. Also have someone sit in the passenger seat while you are in the drivers seat. That will really tell you if it will work for you! If you still don't feel clostrophobic, put your helmet on!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder

I would agree that a trial sit might be helpful. However, my impression of the SPF Coupe when I first sat in it was that it was pretty tight, I'm 6'2" (not too bulky). If I had let that be the determining factor, I would have probably passed. It seemed a little close quarters when it was finished, but now it seems plenty roomy. Maybe the 3 years and 8000 miles have let me become used to it, but I think first impressions are sometimes based on the size vehicle you normally drive. If you drive up in a truck or SUV, any car you check out will likely seem too tight. I'm glad I didn't let my first impression of the interior room in the Coupe dissuade me from buying a great car.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002

Look at your choice in GT40s like sex. As a wise one once said, "The worst I ever had was wonderful!"

As for my choice in GT40s, ERA has a quality and originality that is hard to equal, let alone beat. I say this because of the finish you don't see. Flip up the front or rear body sections and you'll see that the undersides have finishes that equal the body exterior. John Horsman, who was John Wyer's assistant on all of the Gulf cars, commented on the similarity between the ERA GT and an original MkI GT40, i.e., notwithtanding the uprights to accept the Corvette wheel bearings and brake rotors.

I repeat, the worts I ever had was wonderful.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 12-29-2006, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF, KC 427

Well the car you need to try is a "Hurricane". With a 4" dropped floor you shouldn't have any problems. Plus its got a 90" wheel base. A "B&B" would be another choice, as they also have a 4" dropped floor.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO

I'm going to echo what Woodz said: sit in each of them before you commit yourself. Fitting into a GT40 is a mix of car size and body type. If you've got long legs and a short torso, you can be quite tall and still fit.

Woodz, it was your Coupe that I sat in at R&G, right? I'm 6'4", 238 lbs. and fit into the Coupe without a problem. I also sat in Hersh's RF GT40 (passenger's side) and fit just fine.

Who is John Galt?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Yep Pete that was my Coupe. I'm glad you felt like it has plenty of room, I like small vehicles so a little less room is acceptable to me. Some like a lot of room around them "in case of an accident". I work to avoid accidents so prefer a close cabin. Just like all things there is no perfect anything... everything is a compromise, so you have to decide what compromises you don't want and what you are willing to accept. I prefer small and fast
Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

I do not think Hurricane or B&B make GT40 replicas
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC
I do not think Hurricane or B&B make GT40 replicas
No but we do . In kit form anyway. I think he was confused. He mentioned the dropped floor and 90" wheel base. The cobra fitment thing has been an issue for a lot of companies. Anyway, GT fitment is a whole other matter.

Turn Ten Racing, Inc. - Classic Replicars (Kits & Replicas) TTR/EVO, TTR/FIA, TTR/40

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

A 90 inch wheelbase GT40 would be a little squeeze to say the least....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO

what is the wheelbase of the 40s? never even bothered to look..
Buzz
Old 12-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Buzz...95 inches
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

A four (4") inch dropped floor in an ERAGT would put you on the ground. Teddy, ERA's chief ERAGT fabricator, is 6'5" and he fits and drives ERA's GT.

I acknowledge my bias; I think ERA makes a great, well engineered product. I like the fact that the tub is fabricated from stainless. I like the fact that the cars are manufactured almost entirely and assembled here in this country. When I have an issue, they take care of it.

Having said that, there is now a wide range of choices out there in price, construction, quality and support. The best advice I can give to anyone researching any replica company and its product(s) is to try and order your priorities, talk to replica owners and visit (if at all possible) the factory.

Jim
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Glad I found this site - - good accurate info & no attitudes (MINE is bigger/thicker/harder than YOURS) that is found on OTHER forums. Am looking for a GT40 for a customer that has an aluminum FE mid-riser build here at our shop with an IR-EFI setup - stroked & bored to 481 inches. Need a GT40 that can take an FE engine. Like the look of the CAV. A stainless monocoque? Sounds good, too!
Thanks for all future info, everybody!
JerseyDanny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: