14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5

Actually, it would seem that way but look at the weights of the Porsche GT3 for a good example- 3300 lbs. I think the Ferarris also weigh in at around 3200 lbs. plus a bit as do the Lamborghini's.
Hard to eliminate everything in a car this expensive and expect to sell it to the masses.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks
Actually, it would seem that way but look at the weights of the Porsche GT3 for a good example- 3300 lbs. I think the Ferarris also weigh in at around 3200 lbs. plus a bit as do the Lamborghini's.
Hard to eliminate everything in a car this expensive and expect to sell it to the masses.
Lamborghini...Ferrari...Ford GT... Porsche...car for the masses?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

talking about the new GT.. jeremy clarkson in one of his DVD (the famous english motorsport journalist) says that the GT has english gearbox, aston martin steering/rack pinion assembly, english body and frame/suspension made in lotus... is he right?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Ricardo trans from the UK.
Modified Ford Focus rack?
Chassis manufactured in Ohio by MAYFLOWER
Suspension arms reengineered/manufactured by Roush in Detroit (after originals cracked)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default In England they have another model of Ford GT

It was built by Roush, the same company that is so active in the U.S. in racing and making prototypes for Ford. They managed to glom onto at least ten Ford GTs from the batch that went to Europe and call them the Roush 600
and claim more power . They jack the price up to $300,000 or more.
I always wonder if Roush pitched to build the Ford GT instead of Saleen
and how Saleen it was that Saleen got the nod when Roush was so much better equipped across the board (they don't have hundreds of engineers, they have thousands!) . Maybe this is Jack's revenge on Saleen, to show that he would have been the better choice all along.

Only one company in England has rights to market it. I think their name is Avro. Goodle Roush GT on Yahoo UK and you'll find it. Be sure to check the UK only box or it gives you distracting US-based responses
Old 10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

I always wonder if Roush pitched to build the Ford GT instead of Saleen
and how Saleen it was that Saleen got the nod when Roush was so much better equipped across the board (they don't have hundreds of engineers, they have thousands!) . Maybe this is Jack's revenge on Saleen, to show that he would have been the better choice all along.

I know Jack Roush, and you, sir, are no Jack!!! I didn't know Jack had several hundred extra engineers he was not paying! He will be surprised to find out!

Quote:
Only one company in England has rights to market it. I think their name is Avro. Goodle Roush GT on Yahoo UK and you'll find it. Be sure to check the UK only box or it gives you distracting US-based responses
I keep "GOODLEing" and get NO responses! Yes, "Avro" is based at the old Brooklands location and they are hawking the "600".....do you get a cut?

So glad you always see the "warm fuzzy" response when you post here and the other troll sites you frequent.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Hall RCR
Modified Ford Focus rack?
Steering column is Focus, not rack.

Fran,

You are talking to the wall....(NOT Pink's wall, mind you)

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Vintage 60's Shelby Owner

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX2321

http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford-...h-02-05-07.asp
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_d...sid=721&page=1
http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm...gt_roush_600re
http://www.avromotorcars.co.uk/car00...r00170full.htm

For your reading pleasure on the Ford GT Roush 600RE
Old 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Pinks wall is worth listening to!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

RE THE STORY THAT FORD TOOK APRT NEW FORD GTs FOR PARTS

I thought it was on Wikipedia that I read that Ford took apart the last
ten Ford GTs built for the '
06 year so they would have parts. But when I went back to Wikipedia, I couldn't find that reference there, only found this: "The production run of 4038 GT's ended with the 2006 model year on the 21st of September, 2006, short of the originally planned 4500[6]. The Wixom Assembly plant, where the GT was finish-assembled, is scheduled for closure in 2007 and has stopped production of all models as of May 31, 2007[7]. Sales of the GT continued into 2007, from cars held in storage and in dealer inventories." But something about that rumor of dismantling ten finished cars doesn't make sense because if they stopped production at over 400 cars short of the number of cars they planned to build,they have lots of new old/stock leftover parts.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader

Wikipedia is crap Why would ANYONE think that is a reliable source
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker

History Buff said :

"The production run of 4038 GT's ended with the 2006 model year on the 21st of September, 2006, short of the originally planned 4500[6]. The Wixom Assembly plant, where the GT was finish-assembled, is scheduled for closure in 2007 and has stopped production of all models as of May 31, 2007[7]. Sales of the GT continued into 2007, from cars held in storage and in dealer inventories." But something about that rumor of dismantling ten finished cars doesn't make sense because if they stopped production at over 400 cars short of the number of cars they planned to build,they have lots of new old/stock leftover parts."

********** REPLY ****

Wally . I spent several years in production planning for one of the then BIG 3 .

When they ' plan ' a max build of 4500 units ( or whatever) they seldom order parts for that many 'up front ' . They typically hedge their parts purchases in increments to tie into their continually changing production planned build volume , either up or down. It is common knowledge, plus some inside info from SALEEN and Wixom, that some production was 'missed' or 'lost' in the early stages of building these cars , due to reworks, some bad parts , later engineering changes etc . Sometimes missed production can be made up by working over time or extending a planned last unit build date . Sometimes it is not made up.

However , decisions were made along the way to not make up the lost production - thus parts purchases would be adjusted accordingly.

As such, there are no massive amounts of parts laying around for the 400+/- units not built vs the original planned 'not to exceed' 4500 max build that had been reported in the press. You will not see 'continuation cars' built at a later date as some other folks have done in the past due to 'parts just discovered years later'.

Assuredly some parts are left over, some are required by law to be produced for future repair needs etc .

I am sure a call to Saleen in Troy Michigan might give you some info as to who has any left over parts - and what they are . ASC and Saleen are now combinded and housed together at the Troy plant that built the GT's. Most likely, any parts left over are now probably in the safe keeping of Ford for sale by dealers as needed for repairs .

Bill ........ ps. the old High School gang still asks about you - I tell them to buy one of your books and help out a fellow former classmate . LOL
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default The Roush Ford GTs --any clue how they got built?

Hi Bill:
OK, makes sense, but I wonder about those Roush cars. I think he calls his version of the GT the 600RE. In the publicity originally I thought they said they are "the last ten cars" but I think he may have meant the last ten built for UK or Continental importation. Do you think the sales of the European models didn't go as planned and Ford of Europe (or UK) said to Roush: "See if you can do anything with these?"

Here's an article from the Car Connection website: -----------------

The official stock of 101 Ford GTs that left America for Europe has sold out, but there's still new models available Stateside and legendary tuning firm Roush is now exporting them to the Britain.

Just ten cars are available, now badged as the GT 600RE. The first bit of the name is the power - up from 550 bhp on the standard GT - while the letters stand for Roush Europe.

Other changes a new exhaust system, tinted glass, color-keyed hoses under the hood, and black powder-coated wheels. Unique identity plaques are also available. The sprint to 60 mph is completed in 3.4 seconds and top speed is restricted to 205 mph.

The 600RE costs roughly $300,000, a good $40,000 more than the standard car was, and two have already found homes. "We've taken a winning formula and enhanced those areas with features which our customers have asked for," said a Roush spokesman.

The company is synonymous with the GT. It developed the car's powertrain, and also converted all the Europe-bound models to meet local legislation. Roush also has a history of creating special-edition Fords, and was the brains behind the 420RE version of the Mustang.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Actually the answer to that isn't as important as 1.)did Roush bid against Saleen to build the Ford GTs and, if so, why did he lose when he already
had proved to Ford that he was very competent (and had the engine development contract as well). The only thing I can think of is that he had better connections with Ford brass, or maybe his Saleen S7 convinced Ford that if he could build a car that good, that building the Ford GT ought to be duck soup. Has there ever been an interview in print with Roush saying why he didn't get the assembly contract or didn't he even try?

Say hello to the gang and tell them I miss cruising Woodward in the Sixties
when gas was what--35 cents a gallon?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default What happened to the leftover space frames for '05-'06s

Just watching Ford GT race in ALMS race in Mid Ohio and it occured to me that there must have been at least a dozen leftover space frames at the Saleen plant and at Ford from GTs that wee used as test cars and can't be sold to the public. If I had an inkling these still exist, I would write Ford to suggest they donate these to the teams racing Ford GTs today (I think there's at least five teams) but don't know if these leftover frames, transaxles, etc. were put into a dumpster . Ford says they built the GT "to polish the blue oval" and those Ford GTs out on the track do that, so this would all be in line with the original objective (though in an ideal world, ti would have been nice if Ford had supported a racing team while the cars were still in production).

So anyone who knows someone who worked at Saleen or Ford at the end of the Ford GT buildout--where did the fifteen or so test car chassis go? And even a transaxle is worth $20,000, which , if donated to a race team, ought to pay a team's diesel fuel bill in transporting a Ford GT race car across the country
Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default On theat 300 totaled so far...is that out of normal range?

300 car crunched sounds like a big number out of 4038 cars since it isn't that long since the last one was built. Maybe there's something about the car that makes you want to push the envelope

But then I heard Vipers are a lot more wicked if you let the rear end get away, I wonder how many of those have been totaled? One famous comedian I remember flipped one near his house

i drove the Ford GT on the test track and in the mountains of Calif. but never got close to losing rear end grip--so maybe I was dawdling along; and wasn't driving at 10/10ths--the only car I did that in was a Trans Am car I drove on Black Lake where there's miles of aspault to spin on...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique 289FIA (351C),1966 GT350H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Tony,

Actually, the GT uses a Riccardo 6 speed, not a ZF.

And while the GT40 and GT share DNA, they are very different. The GT40 was a race car that by the rules, was streetable, the GT is a street car that can be raced (in the few series where it is allowed)

Nice SPF!!!!

Rick
Except for the GT40 MK III which WERE street cars.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: TBD

Thanks.....

Here is a pic of the GT40 with its older brother in the garage.

TR
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

With all this talk about the Ford GT vs. the GT-40; Saleen vs. Rousch; components differing; price points does it make sense to consider other options in the Ford line-up. How does an S7 fit into the picture? Would the
S7 be considered the logical progression in the Ford race bred street cars? If one is talking about big bucks for a Ford GT would one be ahead of the game to go after a used S7? Sorry if I am hijacking the post. It just seems that maybe collectibility and drive characteristics maybe be the biggest asset in considering such a car?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Contemporary, 427 Side oiler - stroked to 454, roller everything.

Hello,

Quote:
300 car crunched sounds like a big number out of 4038 cars since it isn't that long since the last one was built. Maybe there's something about the car that makes you want to push the envelope
Actually the number I've heard is over 20% of them have been wrecked already. There's over 300 already with salvage titles! Add this to the number of cars shipping out of the united states and you'll see that prices have already gone up 10k to 20k since they were discontinued. I even saw one new heritage with 15 miles, up for sale @$499,999 which is silly.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default That figure of 300 wrecked sounds high to me...

Maybe "wrecked" isn't the operative word, I would believe "involved in accidents" or "pranged". That could mean as little as one crunch in a rear fender as the result of a spinout. If this much bodywork is being wrinkled, I wonder when some aftermarket firm will offer replacement body panels cheaper than what Ford is probably charging....

"Salvage title" is a pretty scary phrase if you are thinking of buying a car with one. A lot of insurance companies won't insure a car with a salvage title though ironically some repossessed cars that have never been in an accident have salvage titles too as a result of the procedure used to wrest them from the owner who didn't keep up payments. The salvage world is the darkside of the used car world.

Anyway regarding the Saleen S7, was any total figure ever released on how many were made? I heard the car is no longer legal to sell as a new car in the U.S. Maybe when the owners of Saleen (Hancock Park Assoc.) removed Steve Saleen from control of the company they probably concluded that the market was too small for the car. Ironically, Saleen got the job from Ford of assembling the Ford GT based on how well he made the Saleen S7 and then the Ford GT took away his market by offering a 200 mph car at less than 2/3rds the price.

Saleen is still miffed that I mentioned in print his British partner at the time, the guy who engineered the chassis and body, claimed on his website that he engineered and built the chassis of the S7. Saleen said "suppliers can say anything they want" which is true but the Brit's claim didn't leave much for Saleen to claim except that he and a designer friend designed the look of the S7 and Saleen assembled and marketed it.