28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     
Default Lucas "Safegaurd" Ethanol Fuel Conditioner?

Has anyone tried this or similar product? Does it do any good?
I am running an AED HO Modified carb on Roush 427R. It's a great combo
that runs very strong. However, I have to pull the carb and have it rebuilt every 2 years or so to clean the gunk out. Back butterfies start sticking, idle becomes rich, random surging and burping at cruising speed. Has anyone found anything which will counteract the havoc ethanol fuel reeks on carbs?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi tech 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I'm not into any auto gimmicks but I've been employed at bodyshops with mechanics for 25 years and have only heard great things about Lucas products
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 100% Gas

If possible, find a station that sells 100% gas. One website that has a list of such stations is pure-gas.org (there are other similar sites). I did a quick check on pure-gas and didn't see one identified in Richmond, but you may find one close enough, even if it means buying a couple of five gallon cans and taking another vehicle if it's a trip you don't want to make in the Cobra.

There are more and more stations popping up here in southeastern Alabama that are selling 100% gas. Most have been kind of out of the way in more rural areas and a good bit pricier, however the latest one was right in town (albeit a small town) and priced at only 1.7% more than regular ethanol gas...and I don't have to tell you that you will see > 1.7% mpg improvement when using the real stuff. During my last couple of visits, this is all anyone was buying.

The only downside where a Cobra is concerned is that the 100% gas is usually only available in 87 octane (although some do offer greater). However, I would rather put in 100% gas and have to add an octane booster than put in ethanol contaminated gas and have to put in something to try to counteract its detrimental effects.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

That gunk most likely is occurring during the winter storage time. Today's fuel is only good for 60-90 days. I fill up with race gas before winter storage, making sure its run long enough to completely fill the carb.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

I have the iPhone app for pure-fuel.org, too.
Luckily, there is a 93 ethanol-free within about 20 miles. I finally made friends with the FBO at the airport in town and he will sell me 100 octane low lead in cans. He doesn't want a car at airport pumps.

Try farmers coops and marinas. They sell decent gas so it doesn't turn to crap after 90 days.

Good luck.

Russell

Last edited by rpatton3; 02-25-2013 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
That gunk most likely is occurring during the winter storage time. Today's fuel is only good for 60-90 days. I fill up with race gas before winter storage, making sure its run long enough to completely fill the carb.
I drive my car 12 months a year. Also, i regularly mix about 2.5 gals of race fuel into every fill up of 93 octane to kick the octane rating up just a tad.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

SPF1061:

Are you adding leaded or unleaded race gas?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Has anyone tried this or similar product? Does it do any good?
I am running an AED HO Modified carb on Roush 427R. It's a great combo
that runs very strong. However, I have to pull the carb and have it rebuilt every 2 years or so to clean the gunk out. Back butterfies start sticking, idle becomes rich, random surging and burping at cruising speed. Has anyone found anything which will counteract the havoc ethanol fuel reeks on carbs?
Yes, I have been using it regularly for the last three or so years with apparent success. For several years, my Holley would clog up around the second fill-up after pulling her out of her five month sleep over the winter. I've posted about clogged air bleeds and ethanol on here numerous times and, after the first time at least, you could almost feel it coming -- and it comes quick, and with debilitating results. About three years ago I started using the Lucas additive and I haven't clogged once. Now that could just be a coincidence; I don't know. I did have a nice little fuel leak, from a dripping fitting, last year and what was dramatic was the puddle of "goo" that it left. It was just like the syrup that you put on your waffles. Here's a pic. This is what is gooing up your carb.:

Last edited by patrickt; 11-07-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
SPF1061:

Are you adding leaded or unleaded race gas?
Hi Rick,
I ASSUME it is leaded. I don't really know what it is. Next time I buy some I will ask. I buy it from an unbranded mom & pop gas station that is near our local drag strip. They have one pump that sells "110 octane race fuel". There is a VP decal on the pump, but ???. I assume it is leaded because of the octane and because you are not allowed to pump it into a car driven on the street, only into trailered vehicles or gas cans. I know that it is purple and smells delicious and a couple of gallons per 17.5 gallon tank will stop my engine from dieseling when I shut it off.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, I have been using it regularly for the last three or so years with apparent success.
Patrick - you are specifically using "Safeguard"? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Patrick - you are specifically using "Safeguard"? Thanks.
Yes. This stuff right here.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

I'm using Safeguard as well but have also used Star-Tron in my motorcycles with great results. They both work.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

I had mine out for a quick spin spin seeing the temps were in the fifties in Baltimore. I had some stumbling and a few minor backfires. I think it is this duck whiz they are calling gasoline. I'll try the Lucas as it has done wonders for my Peterbilt 1,601,500 and still going strong! I'll also check the plugs wires cap and rotor. I'm hauling a load of vintage race cars to Sebring for the vintage races this weekend. Tough job! Tom
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker View Post
I'll try the Lucas as it has done wonders for my Peterbilt 1,601,500 and still going strong! Tom
Tom,
I've got 600,000 on my International 9800. Looks like you've got me by about a million miles!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

Use Lucas oil stabilizer. When I had a blown head gasket at 966,000 I decided that since the head was off it wasn't much more to drop the oil pan and put in six cylinder kits. There was no oil related failures. Mobil Delvac and a gallon of Lucas at each oil change. Pittsburgh Power builds a mean motor! Estimated 800 horsepower and a pile of torque. Tom
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

SPF1061
Another suggestion would be to use Klotz Octane Boost. This is sold by Cobra Valley. It works great.

Cobra Valley's Chemicals - Fuel Additives
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

SPF1061
Another suggestion would be to use Klotz Octane Boost. This is sold by Cobra Valley. It works great.

Cobra Valley's Chemicals - Fuel Additives
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I use the Lucas Safeguard in all my engines. Works great. Tore the carbs down on my Yamaha Rhino & they looked like new. No alcohol effects whatsoever. Usually the needle & seat is eaten up by the alcohol but the Lucas has neutrolized all effects. I'm sold on it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

in my experience, the negative press that ethanol is getting is greatly exaggerated.

The problem is not so much with the gas formulation, but with letting it sit in your tank and carbs to long. I deal with vintage cars and motorcycles on a professional basis every work day. Hundreds of vintage motors monthly.

The people that don't drive their machines on a weekly basis or more frequently have zero issues with ethanol E10 or E15. Those that let the same tank of gas sit for over two months have many issues. The primary problem is the separation that occurs when the fuel gets old.

If you will burn thru a gas purchase in a month or less, then the chances are you will have NO problems with ethanol gas. However, this solution is too simple for many people to accept.

Z.