Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Forecast? Hurricane Warning

I thought I'd share a couple of extracts from a conversation I had today with Mike McLaughlin, President and owner of Scranton Manufacturing/New Way Trucks, the parent of the new Hurricane Motorsports. Mike took me through a detailed history lesson on their very successful and diverse business. While they have never built Cobras, Mike is a Cobra replica owner and shares our passion for these cars. He also respects the tremendous effort that goes into building one of these cars in a residential garage. He believes he can inject that excitement and passion into the new Hurricane and based on the success in their other businesses I think he is right.

Work is well underway building the first two new Hurricanes, including the #1 company flagship car and another car which is bound for a CC notable who can chime in here if he so chooses. They have made a number of significant refinements to the body molds and frame jigs and are already incorporating CNC in the planned manufacturing process. Several owners have also shared a few critical design issues from our first-hand build experiences that they are addressing as well. To say progress is being made is an understatement.

We also discussed price points and where Hurricane sees itself fitting into the market initially. I won't steal any of their thunder but if I were in the market for a replica, I would not make a move until this product hits the streets in early 2010. It will be a very attractive product and price. And if you are in the market for a turn-key minus, that is planned as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default and in addition

Jim
had a similar conversation with them. I also learned they feel they are a little ahead of the self-imposed schedule. That we may be seeing this even sooner than expected.

I know a couple potential builders that this will be good news

Paul P
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know if they are keeping the street version in the lineup?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

I wish I was the one getting the kit, but I am neither a high profile member nor able to buy it for myself just yet. I am excited that the kit is back as it was what I had settled on that I wanted.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Right now I am set on ordering a Factory Five kit sometime next year. However, that is with the condition that I will evaluate the new Hurricane offering when it comes out. If everything looks good with it (good first-hand observations, no excessive back-order issues, priced right....) then it may end up being a very tough decision.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Does anyone know if they are keeping the street version in the lineup?
If you have seen this video:

http://www.kcci.com/video/21746460/index.html

That is a Hurricane street car owned by the new Hurricane production manager, Jason Kovachevich. It was built earlier when Jason worked at the old Hurricane in Missouri, but one could assume that if there is demand, there will be supply.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the video! I haven't seen that before. I remember seeing some pics on the old Hurricane site and forum a few years ago of Jason's car. Good to see Jason kept the street Cobra. It was for sale not long after he built it I recall? I was very interested in one but waited to long to order and missed out. I'll have to sell a few toys and get back in line for one. One thing about the Cobra bug is it bites hard and I'll always want another.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

AKS801, I had mentioned in another thread that I saw the No. 98 car that Dean Lampe built. At the time, the car was property of Hurricane Motorsports, and they had taken it to the London show near Columbus OH. In a sea of FFR's, SPF's and Backdraft Cobras. This car really stood out from the crowd. The Body shape is near perfect, and the stance with the IRS really smelled like a an original Cobra. As I reacall the FE powerplant had over 600Hp, and as it lined up to do a London style burn out, it simply hooked up and disappeared over the hill. I was very impressed, and No. 98 was one of the first cars and several issues had already been addressed in production since it was built. Do youself a favor and find a way to see one in person.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppster View Post
Do youself a favor and find a way to see one in person.
All he's gotta do is drive 10 miles up across the rice fields to see the one sitting in my garage, replete with a big ole stinky gas-burning solid lifter 427 side oiler. Cold beer awaits.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
All he's gotta do is drive 10 miles up across the rice fields to see the one sitting in my garage, replete with a big ole stinky gas-burning solid lifter 427 side oiler. Cold beer awaits.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Let's plan on it sometime this month, I'll have some downtime from the j-o-b.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I have seen a couple of Hurricane cars and they look to be a quality product..........
but i already had my Midstates.............
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Midstates is a nice car. I went up to Hooper, NE one time, must have been around '98 or so. Just walked in, and they spent a good amount of time with me. Laurie even drove me around town then out on some country roads (not that they were that far away!) in his blue car. Great memories.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default I'll join y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Let's plan on it sometime this month, I'll have some downtime from the j-o-b.
I'll join y'all while I'm displaced down here in the Golden Triangle . !! I'll be staying over the weekend of Dec 12th for company Christmas party.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!

Last edited by bwcobra15; 12-01-2009 at 07:35 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

aks801 i miss the friendly faces a Midstates they were a great bunch of people.....
Old 12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Bob,
Sorry you will be down Houston way and miss the NTMC - Children's Medical Center Toy Drive. I believe you said it would be on the 12th.

Jim,
Bob is a long time Hurricane fan who lives on the southern extreme of the DFW metroplex and rarely gets time to meet us for the the North Dallas extreme cobra meets. He arranged the Texas Highways photoshoot at the Galaxy Drive-In Theater last month and is a veteran of the state meets in Austin and now San Marcos. I hope you guys can arrange something... by the way, did you ever get your car out of the kitchen?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

If your interested in seeing a couple of Hurricanes going fast on the Coast Hwy. in California, check out U-tube video....."Cobra run to the Peterson Musuem".
Bill Bess & Matt Erieg's cars...