Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Your post reminded me of a thread of a few months ago, where a CC member (Luke427) that started a thread about driving his Cobra with a bad back and asking us whether it was time to sell it or find a way to modify his Cobra so he could continue to use it:

Can't drive my Cobra because of my health, any advice??

The OP should read this thread, assuming his back is in similar condition.
Nah, my back isn't going to keep me out of a Cobra.

I keep my weight down and my abs tight, and I can do anything that doesn't involve deadlifting or repetitive exercise that flexes the back like rows, sit ups or back extensions.

Even if I did experience issues with driving a Cobra, I want to at least have done it. Owned and driven one, that is. If, years from now I can't anymore, I'll go ahead and sell it.

I'm a stubborn cuss. It's what I do.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
With two broken vertebrae, you might want to try getting into and out of a cobra before purchasing one. Not sure how much your range of motion is limited. They are not the easiest thing to get into and out of. You do not need to be a gymnast, but they do sit low and are a little cramped inside.
Believe it or not, my range of motion is better now than at any time of my life prior. And I used to be a collegiate athlete. Breaking my vertebrate has forced me to really examine my alignment/flexibility. I can now easily go into a full squat, where I difficulty in really getting into the full squat, before.

Quote:
As I was reading your post regarding you being an adrenaline junkie, it made me thin that you are a prime candidate for vintage racing. After a race I am on an adrenaline high for about three days. However, before you considered going that route I would download the medical form for a vintage racing organization, such as SVRA, and take it to your physician to see if they would sign off on it given the two fractured vertebrae.

Good luck in your quest.
One of the things I will do, is to take race training. I was a pretty good go-kart racer and did ok on dirt ovals, but this is a whole new kettle of fish. I really want to work on stretching my capabilities. The way I see it, I am not going to get any younger, and this is my last shot to get this done.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back to the actual machine. I find it useful to write about my ideas and have people offer constructive criticism, so I can improve my plans.

To me, it is less about creating a 100% faithful replica, but more about capturing the essence of what a Cobra "is".

I started my fixation with the Cobra in 1976, when at the tender age of 13, I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket from the sale of some feeder cattle, and I happened upon a clapped out race Cobra at the Spencer, Iowa race track. My dad talked me out of buying it and I got my 1967 Mustang convertible, instead. I always regretted that decision, and swore to some day own a Cobra like the one I saw.

So, I want to create the essence of that machine, but not copy it. Unfortunately, while I can finally afford to build a Cobra replica, my funding is barely adequate, so I need to be deliberate in my build.

I have thought about it for literally decades, and have come up with the following criteria, in the order of importance:

1. Body shape. Has to be clean and true to the original shape. (Hurricane Motorsports, FTW!)
2. 15" wheels. In my opinion, the 15" fat tires are a hallmark of the breed. Will probably go MT SR, as I think the Firestone Indy tires from Coker are too limiting in application.
3. FE powered. To me, the displacement is not crucial, but the sound, power and appearance of the FE engine is pretty important. Unless it's a 289 Cobra, and then it should be SBF powered. Plus, I have a built 390 sitting in my mom's machine shed, and there is a certain kismet to using that engine I built over 30 years ago that I pulled from my grandfather's Mercury in a Cobra replica.
4. IRS. I am so tempted to cut corners with a live axle in a 3 link suspension, yet I think the IRS, or at least the idea of the IRS completes the concept.
5. Pin Drive. The last, and least important aspect of my prospective build, but Pin Drive really is the icing on the cake. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care for the wine glass wheels that are available. They are too angular and stark. I prefer kidney beans, and am tempted to abandon my idea for pin drive for Coker Tire's Rocket Igniter wheels with fake spinners in the hub.

As my impending deployment has stretched out my plans yet another year, I am currently going back and forth over two different concepts.

1. Murdered out black on black. Black wheels, gloss black paint, flat black stripes and number roundels, with black exhaust.

2. Dark blue with LeMans gold wheels and black exhaust.

I have my own paint rig and booth, so I may end up doing both.

It's frustrating to finally have the money available. It is going to be a long year.

Last edited by 120mm; 01-23-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
5. Pin Drive. The last, and least important aspect of my prospective build, but Pin Drive really is the icing on the cake. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care for the wine glass wheels that are available. They are too angular and stark. I prefer kidney beans, and am tempted to abandon my idea for pin drive for Coker Tire's Rocket Igniter wheels with fake spinners in the hub.
You can have both if you want-

Here are some 15 inch, pin drive Kidney Beans for you to think about:

Kidney Bean 15inch custom set up to 12 wide adapters/spinners : Vintage Wheels, Mustang, Hot Rod and Muscle Car
120mm likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Love he kidney bean wheels. Did any 427 models come with them?
120mm likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
You can have both if you want-

Here are some 15 inch, pin drive Kidney Beans for you to think about:

Kidney Bean 15inch custom set up to 12 wide adapters/spinners : Vintage Wheels, Mustang, Hot Rod and Muscle Car
Man, the price may just drop them off the list, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
I am a bad man, I know, but I don't care. I'd be willing to have the wrong wheels. But, knowing real versus ideal history, I would bet dollars to donuts that someone out there put kidney beans on their 427, whether they came with them or not.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, I want to create the essence of that machine, but not copy it. Unfortunately, while I can finally afford to build a Cobra replica, my funding is barely adequate, so I need to be deliberate in my build.
I fell in the same category. I wanted to build a cobra that was as close to original looking as possible, and affordable for me. That excluded SAI/CSX and Kirkham/KMS.

Along with your originality traits mentioned below, the new Hurricane also comes standard with original style floor-mounted clutch and brake pedals, dash support tubes, rolled body edges in the cockpit that simulate aluminum over tubular frame, correct roll bar shape and angle, aluminum fuel tank, correct dash design and layout, front suspension cross-bracing, and probably a few other originality features I can't remember just now...

Quote:
1. Body shape. Has to be clean and true to the original shape. (Hurricane Motorsports, FTW!)
As you stated, Hurricane body is molded from CSX3235

Quote:
2. 15" wheels. In my opinion, the 15" fat tires are a hallmark of the breed. Will probably go MT SR, as I think the Firestone Indy tires from Coker are too limiting in application.
I agree, and I have 15" Goodyear Billboard bias ply tires. After I get on the the road and wear them out I might go to MTs. Or Avons if I can afford them.

Quote:
3. FE powered.
I went with 351W-based 427cid SBF, for affordability and drive-ability. But I hope to make it appear vintage looking with pent-roof valve covers, FE-style expansion tank, etc. And while making 600hp, and 3" I.D. side pipes it should make quite a 'loud' impression.

Quote:
4. IRS.
Again, Hurricane offers a very well-engineered IRS option.

Quote:
5. Pin Drive.
With the Hurricane you can go either pin-drive or 5-lug, or upgrade to pin-drive at a later time. There are lots of wheel choices. I went with Trigo's standard 427 style 5-pin "Hallibrand" looking wheels with dark grey powercoat.

Quote:
As my impending deployment has stretched out my plans yet another year, ...
year.
Good luck on your deployment and thank you for your service!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
My dad talked me out of buying it and I got my 1976 Mustang convertible, instead.
Did Ford make a 1976 Mustang in a convertible?

All good choices based upon your personal taste. Based upon what we know so far, appears to be a very good plan.

BTW, last night's met con:

3 RFT:

10 DL's at 225
15 HSPU's
20 BBJO

120mm likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Did Ford make a 1976 Mustang in a convertible?

All good choices based upon your personal taste. Based upon what we know so far, appears to be a very good plan.

3 RFT:

10 DL's at 225
15 HSPU's
20 BBJO

Ah, you got me.

I bought a 1967 Mustang in 1976 as a "new" car. A 16 year old wrecked it on a test drive in 1967, and while it was fixed, it languished for the next 9 years at the dealership, as no one wanted a "new" wrecked Mustang.

BTW, I managed to hold on to that car, and it is pictured in my avatar.

Last edited by 120mm; 01-11-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Quote:

3 RFT:

10 DL's at 225
15 HSPU's
20 BBJO

Tonight for me:

Tempo Front Squats -2×5 @70% of 1RM, 33×1

Then,For Time:
-15 Thrusters, RX (95/65)
3 Rounds of:
-200m sprint
-10 Burpees to a target 6″ above highest reach
Then,
-15 Thrusters

Core: -Accumulate 4:00 in a plank

Fun Times - okay, now this thread has gone WAY off topic
120mm likes this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm not a AC/Shelby Cobra historian, but I think the kidney bean wheels were originally manufactured for the 260/289 Cobras. Sunbeam Tigers too.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are a couple kidney bean wheel threads from the Originality Forum:

1963 Design Cobra Six Spoke Wheels

Competition 260 & 289 original "kidney bean" wheels
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM-2016. 427W, TKO600, 3.50
Not Ranked     

I thought I would add my two cents as well. Yes, Hurricane does not heavily market like FFR and yes, they are built in rural Iowa. BUT, don't let that fool you into thinking it is not a great replica. I purchased one this last fall and am well on my way to putting the motor in. (Hopefully in the next 4 weeks). Because I am an owner and have driven the Hurricane as well as FFR's I can speak to the quality of the kit, quality and ride of the finished product, and the customer service provided by the company. All of them are top notch.
Keep in mind, the company (family) that owns and manufactures Hurricane also builds and manufactures New Way garbage trucks which is one of the largest garbage truck manufacturing firms in the world. Just check out their website and you will realize that Hurricane has some major financial and manufacturing muscle behind their product.
Every time I call them up, I get to speak to the guy that built my kit. You can't beat that for service. It's a tight knit but growing family of Iowa built Hurricanes. I recommend anyone who is looking at a kit cobra give this company a SERIOUS look.
bwcobra15, 120mm and Jdata like this.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

My Hurricane
FE - EightStack - IRS - Trigo pin drive About as original as you can get

Those considering a build, Hurricane is really a untold gem. Value and quality way above others. But I am prejudiced.

Paul Proefrock
bwcobra15, LMH, MFE III and 4 others like this.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang, Paul; that's a nice looking Cobra replica!

Your name sounds really familiar. We had Proefrocks who were pretty well known in NW Iowa for stock car racing. Any relation?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post

Quote:
Man, the price may just drop them off the list, though.
Yeah- That's what happened with me, too. I was going to put either these pin drive KB's, or a set of Torq thrusts on my 289 car, and the price difference is what finally tilted me to the Torq's....

The "Pin drive knockoff versus lug nuts" debate is another one that pops up on this forum all the time. For a 427 car, center knockoffs are the only "correct and original" way to attach your wheels to the hubs. However, there are a million 5-lug, 427 style replicas out there. If your car is otherwise pure to the original cars from a styling and aesthetic standpoint, then you can expect the lug nuts to potentially decrease the resale value of your car by the cost of a pin-drive wheel conversion kit (so again, about $2500)

My personal opinion is that if you really think you may track or autocross your car when it's done, then 5 lugs make better technical sense from a durability and safety standpoint (5 points of failure per wheel is a lot better than 1 point of failure) -

There are numerous stories right here on the forum about knockoff wheels flying off at the least opportune moment.... and for every guy who was man enough to post his story, there are probably 2 or 3 more from guys who were too embarrassed to post theirs...

Naturally, there are also going to be thousands of guys who say "I've raced my car with knockoffs for 20 years, and I've never had an issue - Just use safety wire and you will be fine"- Which is probably equally true...

But the math is the math- 5 potential points of failure per wheel is a lot better than one; the same way that the pass line is a much safer bet on the craps table than rolling a 3...

Knockoffs are used on race cars because they are the fastest way to swap tires and wheels in the pits- They are not used because they happen to be the safest way to attach a wheel to a hub.

Again: Make your own decision, based on your own criteria.

Quote:
I think only a few 260/289 competition cars left SAI with KB's in the early 60's.

(I'm sure the SAAC historian gurus will crash through the ceiling, descend down on rappelling lines, and put me in my place if I'm incorrect about that , haha )

The Kidney Beans were one of Halibrand's first competition wheels, and came before the USRRC/FIA wheels, and before the Cobra S/C wheels, and before the GT40 wineglass wheels.

So, they are definitely period-correct, and I'm sure there are historical photos of some racing team that had thrown a set of KB's onto a 427 race Cobra somewhere in the mid-60's to early 70's....
120mm likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The important thing, here is that I have no intention of making an exact copy, but rather to capture the essence, the "flavor" if you will, of a race cobra that I will mainly drive on the street.

Once I get one build under my belt, I "may" scratch build an accurate representation, if it continues to light my candle. I think this might be an entertaining way to spend my retirement.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I visited the Hurricane Motorsports factory today, and left extremely impressed by the quality of the product, the people and the processes.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3wK9DT5RM[/ame]

Steve, Monty and Jason are really good people, who are genuinely dedicated to producing a product they can be proud of.

My wife and I sat in it and made motor noises, looked over replicas in various stages of assembly and left completely in love with this car.

We are approximately 6 months away from putting in an order and downpayment for "our" replica.

Cool car, imo.
bwcobra15, LMH and Jdata like this.

Last edited by 120mm; 01-23-2017 at 08:24 PM..
Old 01-24-2017, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, I visited the Hurricane Motorsports factory today, and left extremely impressed by the quality of the product, the people and the processes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3wK9DT5RM

Steve, Monty and Jason are really good people, who are genuinely dedicated to producing a product they can be proud of.

My wife and I sat in it and made motor noises, looked over replicas in various stages of assembly and left completely in love with this car.

We are approximately 6 months away from putting in an order and downpayment for "our" replica.

Cool car, imo.
Should'a had jason put the snow chains on that sucker and gone for a spin ...
120mm likes this.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, but it'd just come back from the detailers for a car show this weekend.

I'd hate to mess it up.

Since my visit, I've been Jonesing hard to get one of those in my garage. Patience....