Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-10-2005, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #HM1024, 418 Stroker, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane Street Version

Hi,
I am at the point where I will be puchasing a kit within the next week or two. Hurricane is at the top of my list. Seems like the best bang for the buck out there. For those of you that have received your kits already, what do you think of them so far? From the little I've heard, everyone is extremely pleased.

I've always liked the clean look of the street version 427 Cobra's. What are your thoughts on a street version Hurricane? I guess it might not be exact but at least loosely based on one. No sidepipes, no roll bar, different dash layout etc. I don't know if I'd want to lose the hood scoop or not. Anyway, you get the idea. What do you guys think? I wonder if Mike and Rich could do the dash layout and not cut the sidepipe holes?

Thanks for your responses.
Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports 427 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Thanks for your interest in our Hurricane 427 Roadster kit. We would certainly work with you on a street version of the kit. I personally like the clean look of the street version as well. The side pipe holes are actually pre-cut in the mold but we could easily do the glass work to fill the openings. Leaving the roll bar off is no problem. You may want to have us just install the roll bar mounts on the frame and not cut the holes in the body. That would make it much easier in the future if you decided you wanted a roll bar. We could do the street dash layout with no problem. I would recommend the full front and rear bumpers with over riders to help complete the street look as well. We would provide delete credits for the roll bar, side pipes and headers. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the response. I'm still a little undecided on trying a street version. I forgot the bumpers and over riders in my post, but your right, they are a must have for a street version. I will be giving you a call within the next week or so. I have a few questions about placing my order, support and so on.
Talk to you soon.
Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up KIT

HEY MIKE,
JUST LEFT COACH MIKE AT MY SHOP. HE IS ASSEMBING THE REAR END. THE MORE I SEE OF THE HURRICANE KIT THE MORE I LIKE IT. I LOVE THE 9" WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE SET UP. DISC ALL THE WAY AROUND! COILOVERS ON ALL FOUR CORNERS! THE HEADER AND SIDE PIPES ARE GREAT. THE ONLY THING I DO NOT LIKE, IS THE ROUGH BODY, BUT THE PAINTER HAS TO FIX THAT. NOT ME. ALL THE PARTS THAT I HAVE LOOK AT ARE FIRST CLASS AND GOOD LOOKING STUFF. I HAVE NOT OPENED ALL OF HIS BOXES TO CHECK EVERYTHING OUT, BUT I HAVE LOOKED IN SOME OF THE BOXES. I THINK COACH WILL SELL HIS OTHER COBRA AND KEEP THIS ONE!! WAIT AND SEE!!!! HE IS HAVING IT PAINTED RED WITH BLACK STRIPE. THE BODY IS PRIMED AND SHOULD BE PAINTED IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS. I'LL POST PICS WHEN IT PAINTED.
MIKE. YA GOT A GREAT KIT!!!! AND COACH SHOULD HAVE HIS ON THE ROAD IN 2 MONTHS.

DWIGHT FRYE
DO YOU HAVE A HARDTOP FOR THE HURRICANE? YOU KNOW YOU COACH DRIVES YEAR ROUND.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Superformance Cobra. Engine is Coast High Performance "Cobra Classic" 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Check out my gallery "sp1410" for photos of a street SPF. I very much like the clean look too. This type of car seems to be gaining in popularity.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi,
Thanks for the info Dwight. Its always nice to know what the people building these cars think of them.

James, your SPF is beautiful. Thats exactly what I had in mind. My biggest concern at the moment is being able to run an under car exhaust on the Hurricane chassis. I thought I'd give Mike a call one of these days to get his thoughts on this issue. I'd like to know if there is enough room to run it without hanging down to low. Thanks again for the input, cars like yours really get me going on doing a street version.

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default I'm sure Mike can work it out.

I'm sure Mike, Rich and the boys can work it out. I'll tell you this, in my opinion you want at least 2 1/2" pipe whatever you do. You really should consider dumping in front of the rear wheels also. Everyone told me this and I didn't listen. Now I'm ready to scrap my whole setup and start over. You might want to start with hurricane side pipe headers and get a collector with a bend in it fabricated. Here are what mine look like anyway, I doubt you can run inside the frame rails.

Chuck

Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chuck,
Nice idea using the headers and and having a collector made. I had been doing some research on the street Cobra's and came across your web sight a few weeks ago. Nice job. Your car is one of the reasons I am concidering a street version. I have really enjoyed reading about your build and all the ups and downs. It sure gave me a lot of insight as to what can be expected building a car of this type. You sure ended up with a beautiful car. I saw what you wrote about in regards to running your exhaust system and thats what had me questioning how difficult that part of the project would be on the Hurricane. Thanks again for your response.

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments, you are too kind. I'm just fumbling along and sharing my mistakes.

I think the sidepipe headers are a good basis, just turn before you exit the body. If you could go inside the frame you'd have a chance at a crossover, but with most cobra chassis you couldn't get out of the frame without notching a LOT of stuff. Certainly ERA would be impossible, and I suspect Hurricane too.

Hurricane is right here in town and I know the guys there. I will try to contribute what info I can to the project.

Chuck
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chuck,
I appreciate you sharing the info on your build. Some guys are too embarassed to say they made a mistake on something. We all fumble along and do the best we can. And we all make mistakes or goof something up. I recently finished a frame off restoration on a Chevelle. Seems like every other week or so I had to go into the house and tell my wife what I screwed up. Like installing the window felts and breaking the door glass (don't ask)! Like yourself, I intend to do nearly all the work on this project myself except the machine work on the engine.

I am planning on using the 351W engine and T-5 trans instead of a big block for several reasons. Without the kit its hard to know what will fit in there for exhaust. I was hoping that maybe some block hugger headers would fit and then run the pipes along the inside of the framerails till they get behind the footboxes and then??? As for getting through the frame rails, on a street rod, I cut a 3.5" diameter hole in the rail to run the exhaust through. I inserted a 2" length of 3.5" od pipe into the hole and welded it on each side, the 2.5" pipe slid through with room to spare. I don't really know how this comprimised the strength of the frame though. I ran it many years without a problem, but then, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as stressed as a Cobra would be. If not exiting in front of the rear wheels, with the 9" rear there is more room around the axle area to go out the back with it. I had also thought of using, along the inside of the frame rails, some chambered exhaust pipes that are available in the Summit racing catalog. They are 3.5" in diameter with 2.5" inlet and outlet and 26" long. Anyway these are just a couple of thoughts I had. I also like the Flowmaster Hush Series that you are using. How do you like them and are they very loud? Thanks again for the info and the cool web site.

Mike

Last edited by 66rdster; 07-12-2005 at 10:44 AM..
Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not yet

Yes I have seen some people weld in tubes or half tubes to notch the frame on some cars. I don't know if this is as strong or not, for myself I'm chicken to do it. But the chance of a crossover pipe might be compelling to you. They say by not having a crossover cobra sidepipes give up 40 or 50 hp. Ha! I WISH my setup only gave up that much.

I know the hurricane frame has a bolt in X member under the transmission, and like most cobra frames has significant side to side members in front of the rear wheels.

Transmission removal will be hindered by pipes in there too.

Hmm... I'll have to get out there and look at a frame again before venturing much more of an opinion.

I have not reworked my exhaust yet so I don't know anything more about the hushpowerIIs. I think I'm leaning more towards spintech "Sportsman Street" # 3333 at the moment. I wish someone would flow test mufflers so you have some idea what you are getting. I'd really like to use dynomax but the 2 1/2" ones are too wide to fit, and the 2" ones are obviously a cork.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Chuck
Old 07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Spintech's look nice. Fairly compact size and only 4" thick. It looks like they may be a good choice. Yea, I don't know if I'd punch holes in a Cobra frame either. Unless someone that is experienced in frame design would say if its OK. Until I get the chassis with an engine in it, its really hard to tell what would work. I'm mostly just thinking out loud about it for now. If you happen to get over to see Mike and Rich and take a close look at the frame, let me know what you think. I am going to give them a call when I get a chance and see what their thoughts are....I am also curious how the body mounts to the chassis and if there are any protrusions below the body line or bolts/rivets along the rocker area that would detract from the looks without the side pipes. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, I always like getting input from others.

Mike
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Undercar Exhaust

You might also consider running 5.0 Mustang style headers turned around backwards to exit towards the front, and then fab up pipes to go under the car on each side of the frame rails.

I'm loooking at Factory Five and Hurricane for my future kit purchase, and I definitely plan on having an undercar exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels.

I think the Dr. Gas ovalled tubing should work pretty well for this kind of setup. That's my plan so far.

-Jack Price
Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

On my FFR I'm using BBK shorties (reversed) into modfied 'J' pipes. This dumps into some Dr. Gas ovalized pipes and 2-1/4" Spintech muffs that exit in front of the rear wheel. I'll be adding a crossover that runs in front of the motor eventually.
It works well, sounds killer but is a little louder than I would have liked. I also went with solid motor mounts since the pipes run pretty close to the frame in some places. All this hangs down only about 1/2" below the 4" tubes.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jack and Maricopa,
Thanks for the tips. I will definately look into the BBK headers. I too had thought of using the ovalized pipes. With the limited ground clearance every little bit counts. I am looking at all the options right now and I guess I can make a final decision when I finally get my kit. Until I get an engine in the chassis its hard to tell exactly what kind of set up I'll have to use, but a least I'll have several ideas and options. Jack, are you planning on a street version without roll bar etc. and adding bumpers or are you thinking of the SC, just without the sidepipes. Maricopa, I assume the yellow car in your gallery is yours. The exhaust system looks really nice. Its ust what I had in mind. I wish you had a pic of the header setup. Did you make the glove box? It looks excellent. If you made it would mind sharing how you did it?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike

Last edited by 66rdster; 07-13-2005 at 04:28 PM..
Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am planning on a total street version with bumper overriders, no sidepipes or cutouts, and no roll bar(s). I have not yet investigated what induction system will fit without a hood scoop, but that would be pretty cool as well.

My no rollbar idea might get vetoed by my fiance, so I will likely go with a slightly lowered single full-width rollbar.

It seems only fair because she's gonna buy the soft top.

-jp
Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jack,
I haven't totally settled on a kit yet, but I'm 95% sure it will be the Hurricane. I really like the looks of the street version. They seem to be getting more popular. Theres nothing wrong with the full width roll bar. You have to go with whats best for you. I am not convinced that I would like to lose the scoop. I just seem to like it. I haven't called Mike yet about doing the street version but above he indicated that they could do the dash layout too. Let me know what kind of kit you settle on. Either one will make a great car.

Mike
Old 07-13-2005, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

66. The yellow car isn't mine, just one that uses some of the same parts. Mine is the primered one in some of the other pics. I painted my system flat black and now it's hardly noticeable compared to the chromed set up on the yellow car.

I did build the glovebox. I used some scrap sheet metal that I soldered together and a hinge and keyed lock that I got from a woodworker's store. The pattern I found here:
http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/glovebox/gloveboxdoor.jpg
Old 07-14-2005, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Maricopa,
Thanks for the info on the glove box. The pattern will be a huge help. You did a great job with it. I can only hope mine will come out as nice if I attempt it. Looks like your car is coming along nicely. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks again for the info.

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1007
Send a message via ICQ to kbisconti
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane 1007

Mike, I am very pleased with the easy build and great body shape of my Hurricane. Mike at Hurricane has been there at all times for my questions and parts. This is my third Cobra. The only Cobra I would like as well would be a ERA. Ken

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: