Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     
Question Any completed Hurricanes out there?

Just curious if any of the first 23 kits have been completed yet and if so what your impression is (i.e., build quality, component quality, difficulty of build, performance and handling, etc.). Any idea how it would/does compare to an FFR with similar engine configuration? What does it weigh?

If not complete, what stage are you at and what is your impression so far with the build, manual or Hurricane in general?

I know from talking to Mike @ HMS that customer service and willingness to offer support shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance, John
Old 07-20-2005, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Go to Dean Lampe's photos. His is beautiful! Or you can come to Run and Gun Aug 25-27 in St. Louis and see it and others first hand.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-20-2005, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would love to come to St. Louis but unfortunately being half a world away will make it kind of tough . Maybe next year. I might be back in the states by then.

Just want to get some verbal feedback from some of the new owners to see how it's all comming along.

Thanks, John
Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Click on the camera next to my screen name and check out the pictures. I am not an expert on the Factory five cars but I think the Hurricane is awesome. There are 3 types of Cobras in my opinion: The close reproductions, The racers, and the hot rods. I wanted a close reproduction, and that is what Hurricane delivers. My car has been parked next to a CSX car for the last 5 weeks. I will tell you that in my humble opinion, it is second only to Kirkham and ERA in original shape and appearance. (I reallize this might set some people on edge but if you have not seen a Hurricane next to a CSX then you shouldn't disagree.) The racers have super fast purpose built cars. The Hot Rods have bright colors and less traditional options. All are great cars and should be appreciated for what they are. A prospective buyer should know which one he is looking for. (Maybe a Combination ) I think it is as much about the builder as it is the kit. I have seen absolutely stunning cars by most manufactures. I believe that the Hurricane will be a very popular kit and the quality of the kit and the manual are great. I have not seen many manuals but thiers was pretty easy to follow. Send me an email and I will forward my number if you have any questions. As Clois mentioned, I will be at Run and Gun if you want to take it for a spin! Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

OOPS! Sorry, I didn't read your location. Would be a bit of a drive, wouldn't it?

The Hurricane is a very nice replica and is put together well. Dean has done an outstanding job on his and hopefully, if he will ever drag his lazy ARSE out of bed and log on may have some usefull info to add.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There he is!

"Let's roll"

Old 07-20-2005, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replys.

Dean, I would have to say that aesthetically (based on the photos) your car is one of, if not the, best looking replicas that I've seen. Very impressive.

I'm definitely after a kit that looks the part but performance is very high on the priority list for me. For example if the fininshed kit weighs in at 2500lbs and another weighs in at 2200lbs obviously the lighter car (with similar small block powerplants) will be the quicker and possibly better handling. Weight distribution plays a significant role as well. I'll be doing several track days as well as spirited street driving so I definitely want the best baseline to start with.

I'm leaning towards the Hurricane because of the quality (and quantity) of the standard components. Just want to make sure it'll do what I'm asking of it.

Your offer to take it for a put is almost incentive enough to fly home right now! Thanks but I think I'll have to put it off for the moment. Maybe in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for the replys.

John

Last edited by Lowrance; 07-20-2005 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-26-2005, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any other finished kits out there? I'd like to take a close look if there is a northeast kit finished or being built.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you modify the floor or is that how it comes?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Yes that is exactly how it comes. There is a lot of room in this car. I am 6'3 and I am very comfortable in the car. This is due in part to the dropped foot boxes.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by dlampe

My car has been parked next to a CSX car for the last 5 weeks. I will tell you that in my humble opinion, it is second only to Kirkham and ERA in original shape and appearance. (I reallize this might set some people on edge but if you have not seen a Hurricane next to a CSX then you shouldn't disagree.)
Just our of curiosity, do you have any pics of the two cars side by side for comparison purposes?

Also, does anyone know what car that Hurricane splashed their bodies off of?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rumor has it the body mold was taken right off an original 427S/C. From the looks of Dean's car, I would say that that is a very distinct possibility.

John
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1007
Send a message via ICQ to kbisconti
Not Ranked     

Hurricane 1007, I'm almost ready to mount my body. You can look at some pictures by clicking on the camera to the left. I am very pleased with the Hurricane kit and manual. Also, Mike at Hurricane is on the ball and more than willing to help.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Dean,
I see in your pics you have a remote oil filter setup on your FE in your Hurricane.

Did you by chance have any issues with clearance for the oil filter adapter between the engine and the frame rail for your FE?

If so, did you have to raise the engine mounts a tad or what engine mounts or mods did you do to make it fit?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I actually used an adaptor from Southern Automotive that is a little different than the one in the picture. I had to recess the bottom bolt heads to have enough clearance to be comfortable. The inbound line exits from the front of the adaptor, not the driverside. That gave me enough room to make it all fit. I will admit that this is a very difficult plumbing puzzle to figuire out. What you probably can't see is a 3 quart accusump system lying next to the block on the passenger side as well. So needless to say, there is a lot going on in a very tight space!

On another note, I was in Folsom not to long ago. My company has an office in Eldorado Hills and I usually stay at that Marriott. How close are you to that area?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 351w, TKO 600/.64 5th
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by kbisconti

Hurricane 1007, I'm almost ready to mount my body. You can look at some pictures by clicking on the camera to the left. I am very pleased with the Hurricane kit and manual. Also, Mike at Hurricane is on the ball and more than willing to help.
Looks like its coming along nicely! If you don't mind me asking, what options did you go with on the kit for upgrades?

Herkypilot
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Herkypilot,
Mine is on the way but this is what I ordered (for comparison):
Aluminum firewall
Front brake upgrade (Wilwood)
TKO set up for trans
Headers for 351w based engine
Wipers
Heat/Defrost
I deleted the mirrors (Going to use chrome Raydots) and I deleted the third member ( I have a 3.55, 31 spline posi I'm tired of tripping over in my shop).
So thats the way I ordered mine.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 351w, TKO 600/.64 5th
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by LMH

Herkypilot,
Mine is on the way but this is what I ordered (for comparison):
Aluminum firewall
Front brake upgrade (Wilwood)
TKO set up for trans
Headers for 351w based engine
Wipers
Heat/Defrost
I deleted the mirrors (Going to use chrome Raydots) and I deleted the third member ( I have a 3.55, 31 spline posi I'm tired of tripping over in my shop).
So thats the way I ordered mine.
Sounds like a lot of the same things I'm ordering. Same motor and Trans. I was curious about the side-view mirrors, are the ones included in the kit made to mount on the sides of the windshied? I'm somewhat new to all this, but most other kits seem to have them on the fenders. Also, I'm either going with the chrome exhaust or the "Jet-Hot" silver headers and exhaust...any advice out there?