Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane or Backdraft?

Hey guys,

I am close to a decision and am looking for more opinions on what car to finalize the dream. Here is what i need an opinion on:

Hurricane Motorsports with IRS for roughly 34K complete

orrrrrr

BDR for 38.5k complete.

Assume all things like wheel and tire size, engine, trans being equal and i am not concerned about the wheelbase difference.

Which way should i go? Thanks for all input.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Slithern,
Have you tried doing a search to view some comparisons, there is a lot of information in the archives comparing the two cars you are interested in.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Cobra HM 1007, 390FE
Not Ranked     

I am happy with my Hurricane and would buy again. I prefer the shape better. However you can't go wrong with either. Where did you get the completed prices? You might also look at some used ERA Cobra's.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slithern,
That is a tough decision when you put it like that. I am a big fan of BDR but I enjoyed working on it as much as driving it. Assembling a Hurricane would quench that thirst. The only thing that would turn me off of a complete build is shopping the bodywork and dealing with the idiots at the body shops and listening to their lies as to why it is not done or done the way you want it. With BDR it is painted when you receive it. I might opt for a BDR but build the motor myself from the ground up instead of a crate engine. I know some insurance companies will only insure a "factory" assembled vehicle. You nailed it pretty good on your prices as far as a BDR. In the end I would have to go with the BDR.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Madmax brought up a good point. Paint is a big cost in building a Cobra. Finding a good paint shop is crutial.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs Hurricane Motorsports 427 Roadster
Not Ranked     

slithern,
We can provide a turnkey-minus for $28,990. It will be a fully factory assembled Hurricane 427 complete with IRS, paint (your choice of color) with stripes, 15" knockoff wheels, and tires. All you will need need to add is the motor, transmission, and driveshaft and you are done. Give us a call to discuss the options. BTW, we will be at London and you can check us out there.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default just a thought

Maybe you might want to give me a call since I Have owned and driven both... and still do

972-742-2594

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does the Hurricane come with polishes ss side pipes and roll bars for the 28,900?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

The Hurricane would be my choice, if for no other reason the BRD uses BMW suspension, which in my mind makes it un-cobra. Hurricane is also the correct size. BRD's are a little bigger. Hurricane offers a wide choice of fantastic options and upgrades.
Poolw
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We offer ceramic coated side pipes and chrome roll bar upgrade for $720 (total for both).
Old 06-02-2006, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Turnkey Hurricane

Any chance to get a list of exactly what that includes?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default missing the point

it is either turn key or turn key minus...engine.clutch, tranny and wiring. Make the decision apples and apples, not apples and oranges.

BY the way, maybe you should contact Mike or Rich at Hurricane or Frank or Reg at BDR and talk to them.

I have both manufacturers cars turn key for sale.

By the way, this is only a hobby for me.

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 06-03-2006, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Our turn-key minus includes everything but the motor, transmission, battery, driveshaft, and fluids. Everything is assembled and wired ready for the motor. The complete list of things in the standard kit is here:

http://www.hurricane-motorsports.com/included.jsp

Beyond what is included the standard kit, the turn-key minus includes full assembly, paint, 15" knock of wheels, and tires. Give us a call and we would be happy to walk through it with you.

I would also say that Jay is a good resource on these cars (and others) and you should call him if you get a chance. He has probably forgotten more about Cobras than most of us can remember.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking
Not Ranked     

Slithern, I am having the same difficult question.
As a roller they are both close but the BDR as a turn key with a SB 351,TKO trans and the rest of the drive train along with a proven BMW suspension at about 38K is very hard to beat even doing it yourself, alone with a warranty.
I have been trying hard to find a Hurrican built in the NJ metro area to check out without success but have look at several Backdrafts, each one looked great. I test drove one at the East coast Carlisle show and was very impressed with the ride and handeling. It's hard to part with 28K+ without testing the water on a low volume kit. I like what I see on the specs for the Hurricane but until there more of them it's a tough call.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have owned a North Amer. Fiberglass Cobra , Unique Cobra, and now a Hurricane. The only other Cobra I would go to from here would be a ERA. I personally am not in love with the shape of the BD. I love the shape and suspension of the Hurricane. Try to drive both types befor you decide.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '75 CJ-5, built from box of parts
Not Ranked     

BDR is about 20 miles north of the Fort Lauderdale Airport. Might be worth a flight in on SW airlines to check one out.

When sitting in the BDR, it felt as though the seats were splayed out (Didn't face directly forward...)
Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 1022-BOWTIE
Not Ranked     

I really like my Hurricane i have 2100 miles on it and it is GREAT, no rattles or anything. The car rides nice and handles great.....the 3 links really works and hooks up.

The kit is also very complete....

Sid
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Standard kit option

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBurroughs
We offer ceramic coated side pipes and chrome roll bar upgrade for $720 (total for both).
I don't see this $720 upgrade for both the ceramic side pipes and chrome rollbar on the website.
Can I assume it is an option for a standard kit and not just on the turnkey minus?
Also, do you offer ceramic coated headers as well or are the headers included with the sidepipes?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is correct - You can get the ceramic coating upgrade on any kit. It is $325 for ceramic coated headers - we have silver, black or white available.

BTW, we are now including the coated side pipes and chrome roll bar standard in our turnkey minus products. Also, for $26,990, we offer a solid axle turnkey minus equipped the same as the IRS version. It includes the coated side pipes and chrome roll bar as well.

We will be updating our website very soon with the new offerings.