Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I am interested in bringing back Hurricane Motorsports

Hello, I'm John Chesnut. I own a Kit car company that sells relatively high end cars that use my space frame design and C5/6 Corvette parts. I do my cars for fun, they are my passion. I am fortunate that I make my living off of products that I invent and license, or contract to have manufactured and marketed.
I don't believe that during this economic time, the relatively small market of Kit cars, and the relatively low profit margins of a Kit priced as Hurricane was, that it would make sense to start a new Kit car business to sell Hurricanes. But, it would make sense to add the Kit to my business.
I have the means to do it with out investment money or having to use deposit money to finance it. While I have not sold a ton of kits I believe that I have a good reputation for honesty, quality, and doing what I say that I will do.
I have seen some posts where current owners suggest that a new Hurricane based kit should have some improvements to the body and the frame. I would be interested in what those should be. I would be willing to make those improvements, build new jigs and make new molds. If some one were willing to supply me with a body and frame to work from I would give them the first new frame from the jig and body from the molds.
I believe that the Hurricane used the Cobra specific parts from Shell Valley. My idea would be to produce the body/frame and supply a build manual/video and parts list. The customer would purchase the Cobra parts directly from Shell Valley.
Please let me know if you would like to see this happen and give me any input that you might have. I believe that I could have kits ready for summer.
I also need to check into obtaining the legal right to the name. It might be that the kit would have to be resurected under a new one.
Thanks for any input, John

Last edited by john chesnut; 03-10-2009 at 04:18 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Well John, you might want to call Jay and get his input on this subject.

So, where is YOUR web site? What cars do you make and sell?

Just interested.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
Well John, you might want to call Jay and get his input on this subject.

So, where is YOUR web site? What cars do you make and sell?

Just interested.

http://www.dragonmotorcars.com/

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill, I remember these cars.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

John, I'll call Jay today and have him contact you. There where a few parts from Shell Valley but a lot came from Finish Line and some local speed shops. I have seen the list of suppliers and contact information. It is very detailed and could be passed on to the buyer. The price discounts that manufacturers get isn't that great as I am sure you are aware. After talking with Jay last week, it sounds like it could be a while before the stuff gets sorted out. I want to also say that Jay is involved in this as an appraiser of the assets for the government, not as an associate of Hurricane.

Jay, I hope I haven't overstepped. Chime in and correct me where I might have misspoke but I think that about sums it up.

I would probably encourage you to talk with Jay offline, given the circumstances surrounding Hurricane this year. After reading all these threads for the last so many months, it seems clear to me it is better to do business in private, get everything completely hammered out, then make an announcement.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

John is a first class guy and I believe his commitment to a product is worth a lot in todays environment. John drop me a PM if you are interested and I will give you a phone number.

OOPS! Sorry Dean I rolled right past your post..

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input. I do have a PM to Jay. I will contact him.
I have been reluctant to promote my cars and my new C5 based Cobra on this site because I haven't paid for advertising yet. I am in the process of doing that now and hope to be a supporting vendor this week.
I have been doing my cars since 2001. John
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default a correction here

I am not involved as an "appraiser for the government" as I am not a certified appraiser. I am simply "suggesting" values to several entities who have interests in the situation. No harm no foul just a clarification.

After speaking with Mr. Tim Mack appointed by the court and named in numerous announcements, if you have an interest in purchasing the assets of Hurricane LLP then you should contact him and tell him of your interest.

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Jay. I will contact Mr. Mack and see what the situation is.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

John

If you do it keep in mind Nick (Mickmate) in our backyard can also aid in sourcing and custom fab for Cobras. Great resource in your neck of the woods.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good suggestion Jeff. Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey John
Light hearted question for the most part but we wouldn't be seeing C5/C6 stuff being used if you bought Hurricane, would we?
Larry
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey John,

Do you plan on producing the stuff locally? Finish the Jigs for your new chassis? I'm all settled into my new shop, swing in next time your down.

Chris
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Larry, No I woudn't be using the Corvette parts for the Hurricane kits. I have been using those parts for my new Dragon's, and a 23 model T inspired Hot Rod. I always wanted a Cobra and I love the new Vettes so I built my new Cobra with those parts. I have begun selling those. I realize that not everyone wants the kind of Cobra I built. I think that it looks great and it's performance is outstanding, but it is not Ford based and it is more expensive than alot of kits. Although not by a great amount.
The idea for adding the Hurricane is to add a kit that is of good qualtiy, is more traditional, and would broaden the market for my cars. Well see how things work out. Obviously I am in the discovery stage at this point.

Chris, good to hear from you. I would really like to come down and see your car. If I added the Hurricane I would be manufacturing the parts in New Hampshire. I have finished my Cobra chassis jig and have made the first frame out of it. I also have finished a new Dragon jig and made the frist frame out of it. I am in the middle of making changes to the Dragon body, adding options to it, and even adding a coupe version! That work is being done at the shop you were in. It is in completely different shape then when you visited!
Here are a few pics of my cars. The Cobra weighs a little under 2200lbs, The Dragon 1980lbs, and the T bucket is 1840lbs.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Larry, No I woudn't be using the Corvette parts for the Hurricane kits.
Thanks John, I feel better now!
Larry
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Your the man John Gitr done!! I actually like the idea of vette parts ,spindals,A arms and the like at least the geometry would be correct. unlike a our car I know of that needs fixing to make it drive right and handle right this should be done at the Factory before it's ever sold IMO.Keep up the Great work John.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscobras View Post
After speaking with Mr. Tim Mack appointed by the court and named in numerous announcements, if you have an interest in purchasing the assets of Hurricane LLP then you should contact him and tell him of your interest.
All I saw was that the SEC filed a suit and the Commodities Futures Board filed one as well -- those are not "overnight affairs." Can anybody give an authoritative "state of the title" for the company? Has a court actually ordered a sale? I'd hate to see Mr. Chesnut buy the assets and unwittingly buy the liabilities as well....

EDIT -- Welll I found a blurb in a legal rag that Judge Kinkeade appointed Mack as Receiver.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-10-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would think the gov couldn't sell any assets until there was a conviction.
Larry
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I would think the gov couldn't sell any assets until there was a conviction.
Much more complicated than that. It is very common when the SEC slams you with a federal receivership order to hit back with a bankruptcy filing -- for a myriad of reasons. Suffice to say that purchasing assets out of federal receivership is not for the faint of heart -- if Mr. Chesnut is really serious about doing it he should retain one of the larger Dallas/Houston firms that have an established bankruptcy and insolvency practice group. Fulbright & Jaworski comes to mind, so does Vinson & Elkins.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What would happen then if they were acquitted? Is the property still gone?
Larry