Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default New programable elec. distributors

Well, this is something new and worth looking into, I'd guess.

How about programable timing curves, digital spark amplifier, rev limiter and even a MAP sensor inder the cap? Sounds like somthing to me....

Here's some reading: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...Fire/index.php

Anyone have any excperience with any of these?

RuneS
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

On my small block car I have the MSD E-curve distributor. So far so good. Just need better weather. Gas mileage seems to be better...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302
Not Ranked     

I don't have any experience yet, but will be buying a Mallory Maxfire soon.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I just picked up an MSD 6AL2 programable which should be capable of all that with a locked out distributor. I haven't wired it as of yet though, so we'll see.

Steve
Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been reading some about this new tech stuff as well and am very tempted to try it. Having spent considerable time with weights, springs, mechanical limiters with not enough or to much limitation, whew, this could be the ticket.

I really like a vacuum advance unit, not sure how that would also play into the mix.

High ozone and/or moisture content could be a real killer with the electronics. Real world life expectancy is still suspect for me...
Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I've used the MSD E-Curve for 2 yrs now, and the Crane programable for a year before that. They are great....No trouble whatsoever.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm temted to go with the Mallory. Will do so if I stick to the Weber setup.

I'm not sure; there might be one that can use a vacum reading?

I'm also considering going injected with a Edelbrock XT manifold and + system, then the ignition will be integrated in the box.

RS
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The MSD 6AL2 Programable uses a MAP sensor. It can be used for vacuum advance or boost retard depending on how you set it up.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The MSD 6AL2 is the latest version of the old 6AL, an excellent product. A great rev limiter, but not a distributor which can be fully adjusted for advance curves. For that you still need the MSD E-Curve distributor (I think that's what it's called).

It appears that for the time being Mallory actually has a lead on MSD, I'm surprised. Their latest Electronic Advance (EA) distributor specs look VERY complete. MSD is playing "catch up" here. I like that the Mallory does not need a "box", it runs stand alone, like my exisiting MSD distributor also does. Mallory supports a true vacuum advance, not "just" a map sensor. I suspect the map sensor is basically an "on-off" setting for turbo boost control or something similiar, not a true vacuum advance programable unit.

Plus the whole thing is cheaper than the old stand alone MSD distributor! Especially when you figure you don't even need a "box" (6AL) to make it go.

I run an MSD stand alone with vac advance AND an MSD-6AL box. I have it all wired so in case the "box" goes bad I can quickly reconnect the wiring and isolate the distributor to run in "stand alone" mode. So man was I bummed when the 6AL box worked fine and the dang MSD distributor itself went out! That was like having a flat spare tire.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would appear that you haven't kept current with MSD. Lots of possibilities here.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ble_6AL-2.aspx

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/6530/10002/-1

Old 04-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2nd generation 6AL2, "programable", nice. Still, there playing catch up with Mallory. The second generation 6AL2 is a "box", you also need a distributor. Mallory has a one stop solution, a stand alone programable distributor with vaccum advance capability.

It's time to get out the lap top, plug in and plot your timing values. Using the MAP sensor in the MSD box to simulate a vacuum advance unit could be especially problematic. But in either case (Mallory or MSD), it's a valid solution for the delima of weights and springs and limiters. Risky, but valid.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I guess I'll take "risky". But my wierdness goes beyond that. I'm using an old school Mallory dual point with 1 set of points removed. With this box concealed it'll look like just an old school kind of set up, but will (should) work like a full vac advance street set up. On top of that, the points will only be carrying a few milliamps so they shoud last almost forever. Now before anyone jumps in with "point bounce at high RPM" this engine is a 462" FE so it'll probably never see north of 6k (on purpose that is) and the simplicity just can't be beat.

Steve
Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, I like that idea! The old school look with a modern twist. Hide the box...

"Risky" from a programming stand point. IF you know what your doing for the primary timing curve AND the software is reasonable that should mitigate much of the risk. The vacuum advance curve is where I would be much more concerned. That the software is not the best design to use it in that manner.

I have used a lap top to program various auto related items (transmissions, EFI) and have often found the software "not quite ready for prime time". Or, not very user friendly, confusing, leaving your to guess at the parameters or codes. It's risky...
Old 04-11-2010, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
Well, this is something new and worth looking into, I'd guess.

How about programable timing curves, digital spark amplifier, rev limiter and even a MAP sensor inder the cap? Sounds like somthing to me....

Here's some reading: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...Fire/index.php

Anyone have any excperience with any of these?

RuneS
These are great tools in the hands of an experienced tuner who understand how to set the curves. They can help pull significantly more performance from a combination that requires something other than stock timing curves. Inclusion of an adjustable vacumn advance is also a good idea as is the presence of a rev. limiter. I've used MSD product for years and have had great results with them as long as they are installed properly according to MSD instructions.

They also have a new version fo the MSD 6 which allows timing curves to be set via a laptop similar to the setup that the race orientied digital 7 supports.

- Fred
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302
Not Ranked     

I ordered my Mallory Maxfire from Summit last night. They are having a special that includes a free set of universal wires. I also ordered the vertical looms and a Mallory e coil. With shipping the entire system was $501.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkemmerer View Post
They also have a new version fo the MSD 6 which allows timing curves to be set via a laptop similar to the setup that the race orientied digital 7 supports.
- Fred
Yup, 4 posts up................

Steve
Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder... I have tried to contact Mallory to get some information; noe response so far.

I need to get myself a rev- limiter. I therefore thought I'd get a small cap E-fire Mallory (maybe a Maxfire?). The unanswered questions are (due to non- consistent info in Mallory catalgoue and elsewhere);

Does the E-fire (2255104) come with a small cap (or the large 9000- thing)?

Is the max RPM for the revlimiter 8000 rpm?

One other thing: Is there a lot to gain from these 3- step electronic mech advance curves (+ vacum, if used) against a mech avdance distributor? Going 3D ECU ignition is also an option, although costly & a little more work...

Currently run a Mallory unilite + 6A box. Is there any add-on rev limiter you would recomend? Or should I simply get the AL or AL2 box? (I'm considering launch control and max rpm revlimiter in one box, as in AL2).

Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whilw skimming the instrucions for the Hyfir VI 685 I found this under optional accessories:

"Mallory Electronic Advance Computer – Part Nos. 600-04, 600-06 and 600-08
This is a user programmable advance curve system using a CMOS microprocessor for
advance calculations. This allows you to select from 256 different advance curve combinations!
It is designed with matching mating plugs so it can to be added between the HYFIRE® VI
Electronic Ignition Control and the Ignition Control Harness."

However how hard I look I cannot seem to find any reference to these parts number at the Mallory website, in their catalougue or Summit website. Does anyone know?

OK; I have to order in parts within a week- as long as noone comes up with info on the E-fire dist, I will go with the VI 685 and the unilte OR the box discribed above...
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rune,

I know it's an old thread, and you may bought something else.

I have bought a Mallory 600-04 from this seller and he still has another one:

Mallory 600-04 Electronic Advance Computer Ignition control kit 8 position MG | eBay

Edit: I have just found out, (and lucky for me) that the 600-04 is for 4 cylinder (for my Datsun), 600-06 is 6 cyl, 600-08 is 8 cyl.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 02-23-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-28-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default New Mallory E-Fire installed (Not run yet!)

-----

Last edited by Xack; 11-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: old thread