LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default Mallory Unilite

Hello, you all.

I was about to bend a tab inside my distributor to get a more narrow than the factory 24 degrees of timing.

I found no tab to bend, but I found this: a small torx bolt (no. 20?) and I think, from what I could see, that I can undo this bolt and move the stop- button to get less than (or more then) the factory 24 degrees.

Is this correct? (As far as I remember, the Mallory manual doesn't say anything about this.)

I wish to run 20 degrees of timing at idle (as alot of people say is correct) and 36- 38 at 3000 (or thereabout) to make it 16- 18 degrees total.

Now I run 14 at idle and 38 at the top.

I run Webers.

Thank you.

RuneS.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Yes, that is correct. To accuratly set the advance, you can buy a set of stops properly calibrated from Mallory. The kit comes with the tabs, some springs, and instructions.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thank you,

Bob!

Yes, I have been thinking of getting new springs. With 18 degrees total and the springs that came with the dist originally, it might reach max advance too early? I will look into this but try these springs first.

Thanx
RS
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As delivered, the advance is 24*, and the curve is moderate. For most set ups, that's just about where it should be. But changing the curve and total can get you some power. You have top be carefull, though. You may pick up 10hp with a little more advance or a faster curve. But on a hot day you may get a tank of cheap fuel. Now it detonates. For the street, you should keep it fairly conservative.

I run 38* on the track, because I use high octane race fuel. But on the street I back that down to 34* to keep it safe. I know I'm giving up some power, but I'v got plenty to spare for the street.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford 289
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,

I'll add too, every engine is different. My junk is a 333 running Performer RPM, 680 Holly DP XE, CI cam 10.6 CR and 43 year old Dizzy with a custom curved that gets all of my advance in by 3100 Rs. I run 16 intial with 23 mechanical.on premium pump fuel. No pinging amkes 392 RWHP @ 6100. So,that's 39 total "happy" degrees!
Happy Motoring!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Advance

Hi Poppy.
That makes it 16 +23= 39 maximum advanced.

I put it on 18 deg @ 1100 rpm idle and 38 @ 3000 maximum advance.

We in europe run 95 and 99 octane, adn although the rating systems are different from the US, I think 38 should be OK for the street & track.

Because of some difficulties with my fuel (the filter gets clogged in some mysterious way...) I haven't tried it out yet.

Will do u full tune- up in the near future; valves need attention & also checking the sync on the webers.

Regards
RS
Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
Hi Poppy.

Regards
RS
At 1100 rpm's, you might already be getting some mechanical advance. Which means you may not have as much total timing as you think you do.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
Hi Poppy.
That makes it 16 +23= 39 maximum advanced.

We in europe run 95 and 99 octane, adn although the rating systems are different from the US, I think 38 should be OK for the street & track.

Because of some difficulties with my fuel (the filter gets clogged in some mysterious way...) I haven't tried it out yet.

Will do u full tune- up in the near future; valves need attention & also checking the sync on the webers.

Regards
RS
Hi RS

If you are running a dizzy vac, cap it. Hook up a light and chart the advance rate every 500 Rs from 900 to 3500 Rs. Note the RPMs where, it stops advance. A dial back light is really super for performing this.
Happy Motoring!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tried 40 deg @ max. No signs of pinging, even under load uphill in 4. @ low rpm.

At thr track it went like a rocket. Got a feeling the engine was a litle tame at the top. Tha punch went out right before 8000 rpm. Used to think it pushed past 8000. Cam have a 3500- 7200 band, so that might explain itself.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not too surprising. I ran 20 initial with 24 built in and had no pinging. That's a 44 deg total. My rig ran to 6500 easily. My Redline is 7000 with a shift point of 6500. Some of this has to do with your dynamic CR pressures.
Nice work.