Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > JBL-- JBL Larry G.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV, 460 SCJ
Not Ranked     
Smile Can't wait for my JBL

I am new to the JBL forum but have enjoyed reading the few posts that were listed over the past few years. Richard’s comments have been particularly enjoyable and informative and add to my confidence in the JBL product.

As of this writing, Larry Goins is building a touring version for me and will drop in a 460 SCJ. My investigation over the past year of the Cobra replica world has provided much valued information about chassis design, suspension, engines, body styles, etc. The arguments for originality had me hooked at first, until I looked closer at the chassis’s being offered. It became very apparent, in a short period of time, that most offerings fell way short of my requirements for safety, torsional strength, and performance (No, I am not an expert in any of these mentioned areas, just picky).

The chassis research kept taking me back to JBL, but I had one problem; would I be an outcast if I selected a non-original body design? Would Carroll Shelby come to my garage and belittle me for my poor and misguided decision? What sold me was seeing the JBL in person and going for several rides in the competition and touring versions (I still think it should be called the “Street Competition”; the Touring version soooo…. under states this car!).

Dave arranged a ride for me in Chuck’s Competition Cobra in Fallbrook and Larry had both models in his shop when I visited Montana a couple of times. Let me just say, this car is just too cool to describe. My only regret is I don’t have the funds to buy the competition model, but I am not concerned in the least at being disappointed with the touring version. My research tells me it meets my requirements better than anything else I have seen (No, I haven’t researched every Cobra builder out there, but most all the majors).

Now, all I have to do is control my anxiety until December. Then I’ll be a true member of the JBL and Cobra world. What a select group!

Thanks for helping me make a dream come true!

Mark Jesperson
Orem, Utah
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Congrats on you purchase Mark. Very fine product, you will have a sweet ride.
Enjoy!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks!! No matter what forum I am on, or what make of Cobra a guy has, it is amazing how everyone is happy for someone else joining the Cobra family; and I am finding that it is quite a family.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Cool JBL's rule

Mark,

Tell the snobs to blow it out their....well... you get the idea....

The JBL is the utlimate Cobra... others are jealous (I might get flamed for this one)

Seriously....Good luck with the new ride... Mine has been a LOT of fun (even though I don't drive it nearly as much as I thought I would)

Welcome to the exclusive JBL owners club...
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hi Mark,

If you might have questions about the touring chassis design and it's dynamics please feel free to query me.

It is different than the Comp Chassis but this was on purpose as a proper road going touring/sports car was the goal.

Not a road/race car like the Comp car..

Larry is enamored with the chassis and the way it works. I think he likes it better than the Comp car.

But what can one do?

Richard Hudgins
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,

Larry has told me a lot about your build and I have seen all the photos on your site. What a beautiful machine!! Do you find that the high back seats cut down on the wind hitting the back of your head? I'm considering doing the same.

I'm more than happy with my decision to go JBL. The only problem is the wait, but I guess you know all about that.

Thanks,

Mark Jesperson
Orem, Utah
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard,

Even though I have driven the Touring Chassis it was not on a track or even on a windy road. My biggest question is how it will perform, hold to the road (over-steer and under steer, and all that stuff) compared to the other designs that are out there. I know it will not compare to the Comp Chassis, but then I don't expect it to.

The recent changes to the chassis and body are an improvement from a comfort and originality standpoint, but I put my money down before I was aware of the changes and was perfectly happy. I just see it as an added bonus.

I have complete confidence in your knowledge and experience and am just happy to be associated with you in the some way.

Thanks for making this Cobra possible for me to enjoy!

Mark Jesperson
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Hey Mark,

Good luck with your touring version. I don't know much about that chassis but I think it will be a cool street car. Maybe think about bringing it to the 2008 Western States Cobra Bash in Sparks, NV next May if it's ready. I'd love to see it.

Welcome to the nut-house!

John / BossJBL
Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

It would be a blast to be there with you guys. I hope it will all work out. Larry should have it ready by February or early March so it certainly should be a possibility.

Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     

Mark,

The high seats are nice... but since I have always had them... I am not sure on how much wind is reduced... it is quite windy and noisy (the way I like it)

I think the seats add a extra bit of safety and was my main concern...luckly they look cool (but still not as good as John's car)
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

my car has the low back seats and have not noticed any disturbing wind all the way up to about 100mph. the rake of the windshield seems to help. sound of the sidepipes seems to be the only thing interfering with conversation. you'll like your jbl.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

I gave my templates to Dave Beile after I made my set of cut-down Kirkey Delux Road Race seats. They are comfortable, have excellent lateral support, and add a little anti intrusion protection. Oh yes, they actually fit in the JBL as well.

Let me know if I can help.

John
Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

The seats are still a dilema for me. Thanks for the advice! I'll check into the Kirkey seats to see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

Mark
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

I used the "deluxe road race" and fabricated the cut down back and cover. These are about $800 a pop plus, seat mounts, fab work, and having the covers altered. The "intermediate road race" seat is around $400 plus the above.

In retrospect, I would look at the "vintage" seat, also around $400 but no fab work. I think it's a good compromise and should bolt right in.

The seats are an issue with these cars and the Kirkey is the only thing I could find that fit and gave me the support I wanted. Also, these seats keep your butt on the floor pan.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/

John
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL, Keith Craft
Not Ranked     

John,

Have you ever evaluated the Ken Miles seat? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Just curious. Although, after reading your posts in the past I suspect that your would never say anything bad about it or anything else on this forum.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62409
Old 11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

Yes, I think the Ken Miles seat is very good, aluminum shell. They will fit the JBL if you rotate the seat about 15-20 degrees (which is where it feels balanced). I had a moch up using a fiberglass shell and it did fit at the widest width / thigh support with minimal trimming. The Miles aluminum shell was not availble when I made my Kirkey's or I may have used them. These seats are very comfortable when rotated to your liking and and balance. Also, they can be mounted very low in the car. I think they are worth the price at $695 and would be a good seat to recommend after fit check to the JBL. Also have to say this seat looks very cool in the JBL.
http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...ken+miles+seat

Fatory Five makes a good looking vintage seat for $500 but the Miles seat is superior in support and construction.
http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcata...intagerace.htm

Talk soon, John
Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mark, i have the seats out of my jbl right now and will probably replace them with racing type seats. i believe they are repo's of jmarsey's. leather upholstery with easy mounting. these are low back. if you are interested and i can find something to replace them with we might be able to help each other out. let me know. mark.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Larry and Richard have altered the transmission tunel to allow for more room in the foot box of the Touring S/C chassis. This has increased the seat width by an inch. Larry should have the chassis finished in a week and then I will take a look at it and determine exactly the seat dimension possibilities.

Thanks for your suggestions and info. I will definately look into it further.

Mark
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

I'm pretty sure I will be going with high back seats. Not the vintage look but more to my liking. Thanks anyway.

Mark
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

no problem.