Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default KC SBF 427 Dyno?

Keith,

I see your company is offering a small block (Dart) Ford based 427. Considering that the 408W from KC is rated from the low-to-mid 500's for hp and tq, I was wondering if you'd had a chance to dyno one of the SBF 427's. If so, can you give us a ballpark on the hp and tq figures?

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 07-18-2006, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's still at the top but we'd love to know - are you on vacation Keith?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

I have a KC 427W and Keith's dyno numbers came out to 479.5HP and 609 LB-FT of torque. I'm running a Performer RPM intake because of hood clearance issues with the coupe.

Doug, SPC0088
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2489 kc 427
Not Ranked     

I have a K C 427 sb in my superformance mk III, dynoed at 617 h p and 600 lb ft.
torque peak was at the start of the pull, 4700 rpm. so it may make even more. H p peak was 6000
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Sbf

We have dyno sheets on several of these from carbureted to fuel injection. We now have dyno sheets posted on our website at www.keithcraft.com. The standard 427 engine with about 10.3 to 1 compression with our middle hydraulic camshaft makes about 580HP and 565 ft/lbs of torque. We have these engines go over 600HP with a little bigger camshaft and a up-grade on the heads. We also do a high-rev lifter option for about 200.00 that lets the engine rev higher to like 6800-7000rpms with hydraulic roller lifters and take the HP up as well. We have done some with the dual plane intake and a smaller camshaft and still make 560HP and about 580 on torque.
We custom build our engines for each customers wants and needs, not just a cookie cutter engine. Hope this helps some and fell free to call with any questions. Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have about 8,000 miles on my KC 427w now and love it! On track days, all I hear is, "That is the best sounding car I have ever heard." It runs and sounds incredible!

Thanks again Keith & Co.!
Doug
Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Doug and others, How much oil does your KC 427w engine go through?
I have a 418W and I burn 1 quart every 200 to 300 miles. People with strokers tell me that is just a trait of the stroker engines. Is that true?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

I had a problem with excessive oil consumption (last fall) on my KCR 427w... was sucking down about a quart every 130 miles. Turned out the PCV valve was pushed down against the baffle inside the valve cover (which is washed in oil). After removing the PCV, oil consumption has stopped... no loss at all. Runs great... fabulous engine.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Slick61,
Did you replace the PVC or get rid of the PVC all together?
If so, what did you replace the PVC with?

I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812545 View Post
Doug and others, How much oil does your KC 427w engine go through?
I have a 418W and I burn 1 quart every 200 to 300 miles. People with strokers tell me that is just a trait of the stroker engines. Is that true?

Not true. I don't burn any.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812545 View Post
Slick61,
Did you replace the PVC or get rid of the PVC all together?
If so, what did you replace the PVC with?

I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,
Dan
I just pulled it off altogether... I don't have to worry about smog, so no biggie. I suppose I COULD have tried just pulling the PCV up off of the baffle, but I removed it completely & stuck another breather in the valve cover... an easy $5 solution. I don't have any issues yet with oil misting the valve covers or anything. The fumes may be slightly more noticeable, but since I'm sitting right beside the sidepipe outlets, it's REALLY hard to tell.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: James Yale made ready BDR#546 Radical Keith Craft 427 SB Dynoed 618hp
Not Ranked     

I have one of those KC 427 620 hp engines. Man does it make power and yet it is very streetable.
Thanks KC
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
I had a problem with excessive oil consumption (last fall) on my KCR 427w... was sucking down about a quart every 130 miles. Turned out the PCV valve was pushed down against the baffle inside the valve cover (which is washed in oil). After removing the PCV, oil consumption has stopped... no loss at all. Runs great... fabulous engine.
... I spoke too soon. I checked it last night & oil level is down again. My recurring theme is... The oil level doesn't move for the first 300-600 miles after an oil/filter change... then it starts dropping like a stone. Will see if this trend continues...
Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wonder how many people have this problem? I was actually thinking of a daily driver type stroker application for my truck, you know, try to get the infamous 100,000 out of it if I could. I have herd of strokers using oil caused the oil ring intersecting with piston pin and/or how the engine was built (pro or joe builder). I also now I shouldnt let a few threads I see online stop me from getting something I want but it does make me think if I would have to put a quart of oil in my engine every 300 miles because of consumption thats rediculous. But I do not know your engines or how you guys use them...do you race your car alot? or is it just a cruiser? I guess I could understand oil consumption on a "race" driven car.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We do not have many complaints of the stroke 351W engines using oil. The wrist pin does not go into the oil ring on these stroker combinations. I do feel that the way we use our Cobra that they might be prone to use a little more oil than normal because we never crank them up and go for 1000 to 2000 miles a trip. The cars get started and driven a little and then parked but still not many problems.
I have one customer that was buying the 408 and the 427 stroker engines and putting in his 10,000 pound plumbing vans because the orignal 351W did not have enough power. He put a lot of miles on them in CA. Thanks, Keith
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply keith. Having to put a quart of oil in it that often as these guys described would suck but if it realy isnt an issue with engines that are driven more often like mine would then great! thanks frank
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a clarification... I don't think that the oil consumption issues I've experienced are related to the engine itself... I've been looking into it a bit, and think I may be drawing oil into a cylinder from an adjacent oil passage, due to a bad/damaged head gasket. Am not sure how many times the heads were pulled prior to my ownership (and IF the head gaskets were replaced), so anything is possible. And driving habits/style DO appear to affect the severity of the condition.

make no mistake tho... it's a great engine... and yes, it sounds amazing.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

See the Keith Craft Motorsports dyno in action from last Saturday...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res909nt/jshel1/

click on KCM Car Show 2008.mov

Camera/Microphone just didn't do it justice... 460bb bored and stroked on this cobra.
Rob Camp on the "waa-waa" pedal.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
Just a clarification... I don't think that the oil consumption issues I've experienced are related to the engine itself... I've been looking into it a bit, and think I may be drawing oil into a cylinder from an adjacent oil passage, due to a bad/damaged head gasket. Am not sure how many times the heads were pulled prior to my ownership (and IF the head gaskets were replaced), so anything is possible. And driving habits/style DO appear to affect the severity of the condition.

make no mistake tho... it's a great engine... and yes, it sounds amazing.
Let me know if you find out the source of the problem as I am experiencing usage of about a quart every 150 miles or so... I have about 10k miles on he engine and have no other problems. I have one plug that is constantly gunked up and suspect I am drawing oil into that cylinder.

Doug