Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default how does kc break in motor before dyno?

Just wonder what your thoughts are on this Keith. What do you guys do the motors before doing the dyno pulls? I assume you do some sort of break in? And how do you recommend the break in once the motor is in the car? Drive it like you stole it approach to set the rings or the slow 1000 mile break in method.

Dan
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1000 miles? Whew, I aint got time for that!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

lol yeah I dont think I have ever broken in a motor easily I don't have that much will power lol
Old 07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We get everything set where the engine will start right up and then put a timing light on the engine, check the oil pressure as soon as it starts and monetor the water pressure. We will run for about 15 minutes at about 2000 to 3000 rpms. We will then kill the engine and check the valves, go over all of the bolts and look for leaks. If everything checks out ok we will run the engine for another 30 minutes with a load on the engine running it from about 1500 rpms all the way up to 4000 rpms changing the laod and the rpms.
We will then makes pulls on the engine to check the power and make sure that it is making the power it should. Will make about 10 to 15 pulls tuning the engine. The engine is pretty much broke in after this but I recommend that after it is in the car for the customer to check things over after installed. Need to recheck the timing and oil pressure while also making sure that the cooling system is working right. How you run it ater it is in the car depend on your comfort level with the work of the installer. Hope this helps a little. Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8
We get everything set where the engine will start right up and then put a timing light on the engine, check the oil pressure as soon as it starts and monetor the water pressure. We will run for about 15 minutes at about 2000 to 3000 rpms. We will then kill the engine and check the valves, go over all of the bolts and look for leaks. If everything checks out ok we will run the engine for another 30 minutes with a load on the engine running it from about 1500 rpms all the way up to 4000 rpms changing the laod and the rpms.
We will then makes pulls on the engine to check the power and make sure that it is making the power it should. Will make about 10 to 15 pulls tuning the engine. The engine is pretty much broke in after this but I recommend that after it is in the car for the customer to check things over after installed. Need to recheck the timing and oil pressure while also making sure that the cooling system is working right. How you run it ater it is in the car depend on your comfort level with the work of the installer. Hope this helps a little. Thanks, Keith Craft
Three questions:

1. Do you just check the external bolts? Do you retorque the heads and intake? Do you pull the pan?

2. When breaking in a cam, do remove the inner spring for that first 20 minutes?

3. Do you use a special high ZPP oil during the break in? When do you change to synthetic? Do change to synthetic before the dyno pulls?

Thanks,

David

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: