Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkham Motorsports University Bronze Coupe Fender

Hey Guys,

We had a customer who asked if we could make a Coupe from bronze. So, we started with a fender.

We have sold so many cars (and attic parts ) lately we had to hire 3 new people. My wife is also coming down to help as well. I lured her in with the new gym

With the new help around here I have been freed up to do some things I have long been wanting to do. Glenn Reynolds of www.instapundit.com (a site I think you guys would really like) and author of Army of Davids inspired us to start Kirkham University to show the world how we make things. We hope our metal forming and machining knowledge may be of interest and use to others. Many people freely gave of their time to us over the years to help us continually make better products. Now, we want to return the many favors we have received from so many kind people.

Here is some more Kirkham Motorsports University on YouTube--CNC Machining, Metal Forming, and Advanced Manufacturing Techniques.

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions.

David

"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 01-24-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi David Thanks for the vid . Is this the same process that was used on the upper quarter I got on the scratch and dent sale? mark
Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

pretty cool
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Hi David Thanks for the vid . Is this the same process that was used on the upper quarter I got on the scratch and dent sale? mark
Yes

David
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

The big three could really learn something from the Kirkhams. True craftsmen with good hearts.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

David,

Very nice! Two questions ...

- About how long does the process take to make the fender from start to finish?

- How are the sections joined together ... are they soldered together or welded?

Thanks.

- Tim
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Unbelievable.
Not many craftsmen left nowadays.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Another great video! The level of skill and craftsmanship involved to produce a Kirkham is outstanding. Again, thanks for sharing. Darren.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Somebody told me somebody wanted a bronze piece to go with a copper one, but I didn't believe him.

So...comparing arruminum, copper and now the time you've had with bronze...what is each material like? Weight? Softness? Durability from skin rashes?

I swear...there are not many folks walking this planet who can repeatedly knock my socks off...amazing stuff.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
pretty cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
The big three could really learn something from the Kirkhams. True craftsmen with good hearts.
Thanks for the kind words!

David
Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
David,

Very nice! Two questions ...

- About how long does the process take to make the fender from start to finish?

- How are the sections joined together ... are they soldered together or welded?

Thanks.

- Tim
It takes about 8 man hours to make the fender and 8 hours to polish it. This doesn't include the time digitizing the car, machining the dies, or making the stretch form.

The sections are welded together, just like our aluminum cars. Silicon bronze, alloy 655, welds like a dream--but it is very hard so it is quite difficult to form.

David

Last edited by David Kirkham; 01-23-2011 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Unbelievable.
Not many craftsmen left nowadays.
Thanks for the kind words!

Anyone can learn to do this if they want. Some people call it talent...I think it is mostly determination.

David
Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
Another great video! The level of skill and craftsmanship involved to produce a Kirkham is outstanding. Again, thanks for sharing. Darren.
Darren,

Your car is next up at Kirkham Motorsports University! I am really excited because we will show the entire process of figuring out where to cut the nose off your car, cutting it, building the sub-structure, and putting it all back together again. It should be a lot of fun.

David
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Somebody told me somebody wanted a bronze piece to go with a copper one, but I didn't believe him.

So...comparing arruminum, copper and now the time you've had with bronze...what is each material like? Weight? Softness? Durability from skin rashes?

I swear...there are not many folks walking this planet who can repeatedly knock my socks off...amazing stuff.
Doubting Jamo,

Seeing is believing.

Aluminum is very light and quite soft. Aluminum is 1/3 the density of copper or bronze. (Copper is slightly denser than bronze as bronze is copper alloyed with something else, usually tin). In our case, the silicon bronze we are using is about 97% copper and 3% silicon. The silicon helps it to weld and gives it a beautiful golden color.

Copper is softer than bronze, but harder than aluminum. Silicon bronze has a yield strength of around 50,000 psi. The aluminum in the original AC Cobra had a yield of around 10,000 psi. So, you can see the bronze is a beast to form. We had to heat the bronze up to lift it off the die then slap it back down (while hot) to get it to lay down against the die. It was a real job. But, it really made a beautiful part when we were finished. So far, no skin rashes

As for knocking socks off--wait until next week. Sandwich is cooking up something really cool in the mill right now.

David
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium/Black BDR934, Ford
Not Ranked     

Wow, Really impressive! I don't have a Kirkham but I might just want to check out the open house.
Keep up the great work!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David says,
Quote:
I think it is mostly determination.
Wow, I'm worn out just watching the vid and thinking about the work involved! I won't be applying for a job anytime soon David.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 428
Send a message via AIM to rtstrack
Not Ranked     

WOW...that was unbelievable. Your guys do amazing work
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

David,
Do you have the complete set of dies to do a complete car (coupe or cobra) or are those housed in Poland?

What type of file are you using to smooth the part? Is this the same process you would use to flatten the welds as in the body/chassis offered in the scratch and dent sale that was unfinished?

Is this polishing process the same process you use to polish the Aluminum cobras?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBMOC View Post
Wow, Really impressive! I don't have a Kirkham but I might just want to check out the open house.
Keep up the great work!
Come on by. There will be LOTS of exciting things this year.

David
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
David says,

Wow, I'm worn out just watching the vid and thinking about the work involved! I won't be applying for a job anytime soon David.
Actually, several of my guys have told me it is the best job they could have ever imagined. People are generally happier when they work hard and have fun. Here at Kirkham, we take both to excess.

David