Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I've just reached a minor epiphany of sorts. Though I've always "gotten" the presumed link between Cobras and P51s, I could never put my finger on it until just this minute. And it's so simple I can't believe that it never popped into my mind but the Cobra is a sexy Anglo body with a big American engine and the P51 is a sexy American body with a big Anglo engine. Ding! And the light comes on. LOL So all you guys who've had this at the forefront of your minds all along, give me a break. I'm not that smart.

Steve

Don't get me started on Cobras an Harleys though!
The P-51 is a spectacular airplane. We have the crank out of a Merlin in our lobby. I still love to look at it every time I pass by. Much of my knowledge on metallurgy comes from reading books on aircraft.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
David - absolutely beautiful. Everyone should have a water jet!! Why a 3/8" gap? Isn't that kind of wide?
If I said a 3/8" gap, I misspoke. The gap is 3/16" all the way around. The bracing was made from 3/8" aluminum plate. I'll need to check the video again!

Yes, I don't know how we ever built cars without a water jet. They are fantastic machines.

David
Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
That is awsome.
Great job and very inspirational.................
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
Phenominal in-house talent!!
We are lucky to have very determined men (and women) who have worked very hard to develop their talents into what we have today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
David,

If you work with your hands you are a laborer.
If you work with your hands and mind you are a craftsman.
If you work with your hands, mind, heart and soul you are an artist!
From Poland to Provo, the Kirkham team are true artists!! Peace, Darren
Thanks Darren! The car will be phenomenal.

David
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I just can't get the image out of my mind of a P51D Kirkham Cobra concept with polished body, exposed rivets, flat black hood and USAF markings. (.50 cal wing guns could be optional ). Seriously, I think this would make a great show car.

I'm planning on that very theme for my Kirkham for this year's Goodwood Revival meeting. Ferocious Frankie is a regular feature at the Revival and I was going to mimic that P51D.
I'm going to do the yellow nose and mat black hood as a vinyl wrap so that I can peel it off again.

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 02-16-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
I'm planning on that very theme for my Kirkham for this year's Goodwood Revival meeting. Ferocious Frankie is a regular feature at the Revival and I was going to mimic that P51D.
I'm going to do the yellow nose and mat black hood as a vinyl wrap so that I can peel it off again.

Paul
Sounds like you'll need a pilot on board to fly that thing, Paul
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Paul
The P-51 themed cars are certainly beautiful.

David

ps. We just got your parts scheduled in. We'll be making them on Monday (right after our annual Open House).
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Did you get your loot?

David
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Did you get your loot?

David
I'm not sure, David. Everything goes to DV's place. I'll ask him if it came. I'm in the home stretch of treatment and I'm just knocked out right now as the cumulative effects of all that I have done to me are adding up, so I've been out of touch with just about everyone. Sorry, David - I'm just about lights out right now. Better days ahead, no?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm not sure, David. Everything goes to DV's place. I'll ask him if it came. I'm in the home stretch of treatment and I'm just knocked out right now as the cumulative effects of all that I have done to me are adding up, so I've been out of touch with just about everyone. Sorry, David - I'm just about lights out right now. Better days ahead, no?
Get well soon! Yes, better days are ahead.

David
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Paul
Excellent! Check out the P-51 Cobra pics in my gallery if you missed the recent thread. Be sure to post pictures once its done!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-16-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excellent! Check out the P-51 Cobra pics in my gallery if you missed the recent thread. Be sure to post pictures once its done!

Excellent. This is the one I'm intending to replicate:

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 02-16-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You're already confirmed for the co-pilot's seat.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
We just got your parts scheduled in. We'll be making them on Monday (right after our annual Open House).
Thanks David.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fliptop pics!!

N2VENOM was anxious to see how the fliptop will look (as was I) so at his request we decided to accelerate the build. Using the Kirkhams last photo of the flip front chassis as a guide, I started on the alloy "bodywork"

Once the basic roller was complete, it was a matter of "polishing" in the alloy body, and then adding in all the details, including the fully polished, Weber carbed cammer, side exit cutout for the under car exhaust, Daytona Coupe style cowl intakes, and all of the regular Cobra bits and pieces.

That car is going to be quite spectacular! Finished rendition is a hi-res 11" X22" poster. Details can still be added, removed or tweaked.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Buzz, great job. I will go to the printer Monday. Thanks again. I'm sure the kirkhams will also be pleased. Peace, Darren
Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Darren. What about the badges? Are you going with regular Cobra emblems or billet Kirkham pieces? Don't hesitate to nit pick the details - at poster size you'll be able to see everything.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Darren - when are you driving out to DC? You should join the Capital Area Cobra Club for breakfast.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug, I appreciate the invitation. I am planning to drive the flip-top soon after it's competed. I work fast, so I'm guessing this project will take about 100 hours after I get it back from Provo. David K. Is suggesting around this June. Not sure yet. This will be practice run. We are hoping to do something big for 2012. Maybe around election time. I think it would cool to get as many cobras possible to make this journey. Even if they drive through their own states with us. I will start a thread soon and will need some help with logistics in DC. Thanks, Darren
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Sounds great! Keep us posted.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
N2VENOM was anxious to see how the fliptop will look (as was I) so at his request we decided to accelerate the build. Using the Kirkhams last photo of the flip front chassis as a guide, I started on the alloy "bodywork"

Once the basic roller was complete, it was a matter of "polishing" in the alloy body, and then adding in all the details, including the fully polished, Weber carbed cammer, side exit cutout for the under car exhaust, Daytona Coupe style cowl intakes, and all of the regular Cobra bits and pieces.

That car is going to be quite spectacular! Finished rendition is a hi-res 11" X22" poster. Details can still be added, removed or tweaked.
Sweet rendering...

That gets me thinking of all the other things we should be rendering around here. Is this what you do for a living?

David