Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
By the way, you don't need air struts. You can lift the nose with one finger...it's aluminum, not fiberglass.

David

Hey, I resemble that! You can lift the fiberglass one with one finger also.
I think it's the pivot point.

Well, maybe not one finger....

John

Last edited by dallas_; 02-02-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

The only problem...I think I want one now!

David
Just cut the front off your billet prototype.

A ton of work in a short time. And to think you are designing and fabricating the engine at the same time. You and the teams work ethic is commendable. *With the firewall being moved back, will the cowl scoops fit?*
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
Just cut the front off your billet prototype.

A ton of work in a short time. And to think you are designing and fabricating the engine at the same time. You and the teams work ethic is commendable. *With the firewall being moved back, will the cowl scoops fit?*
We were thinking of seriously having the nose tilt on the billet prototype...

We like to stay busy around here. Like I said, once we start, we move out very quickly. Our guys are the best. They are very smart and I pretty much leave them to solve what ever problems they encounter. Still thinking about the cowl scoops. There isn't much room...at all.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

David, the open house is coming up fast. How far along will the flip-top be? I'm not sure if I can get up to Utah twice in one month. I don't want to miss the open house. Let's call Keith Monday and see how the cammer build is going. If you hurry up with the new engine, maybe you should test it in the flip.. Peace, Darren. PS my wife Lisa watched a KM video and wants me to install a rope in our work gym. A few employees suggested a pole. might need Jamo to get me out the potential sexual harassment cases. I'll stick with the rope.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So are you going to cut the jam out for the original hood and weld it shut like a daytona coupe?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Pack View Post
So are you going to cut the jam out for the original hood and weld it shut like a daytona coupe?
A lot of thought went into the descision to keep the hood in place.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David, the open house is coming up fast. How far along will the flip-top be? I'm not sure if I can get up to Utah twice in one month. I don't want to miss the open house. Let's call Keith Monday and see how the cammer build is going. If you hurry up with the new engine, maybe you should test it in the flip.. Peace, Darren. PS my wife Lisa watched a KM video and wants me to install a rope in our work gym. A few employees suggested a pole. might need Jamo to get me out the potential sexual harassment cases. I'll stick with the rope.
We should be very close to finished. I'm happy to talk to Keith on Monday. Keith will be assembling our first block anyway to make sure everything goes together right. We have worked with him now for many years. He is a great guy.

Install a rope and put in gym. Our guys (and gals) love it and work out all the time with us now. On a separate note of insanity...

I was reading a book Lew Ledyard sent to me (Thanks Lew!) Younger Next Year when I thought about Jack LaLanne doing crunches as he watched TV in his chair. So, I started to do squats as I was reading. I did about 900. It does make you feel much better.

David

David
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Pack View Post
Quote:
A lot of thought went into the descision to keep the hood in place.
Whatever Darren wants Darren gets

Rule #1 The customer is always right.
Rule #2 When the customer is wrong (not saying Darren is here, I think I'd leave the hood opening too), see rule #1

David
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Not really.... since CSX 2196 had a tilt front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Hey, I resemble that! You can lift the fiberglass one with one finger also.
I think it's the pivot point.

Well, maybe not one finger....

John
The front nose really is quite light. We were all surprised when we lifted it. Then again, we don't have the hood on yet--but, the hood is not that heavy. Yes--that is a big reason we put the pivot point where we did.

David
Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, If we can get this project done soon, maybe I can challenge the winner of the Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia saga.

Does Miller Speedway have a ¼ mile track that can be used on the annual kirkham track day? Darren
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David, If we can get this project done soon, maybe I can challenge the winner of the Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia saga.

Does Miller Speedway have a ¼ mile track that can be used on the annual kirkham track day? Darren
I am not sure if Miller has a 1/4 mile track or not. I have seen clubs race as they come off the last corner and onto the straight.

David
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

David, it appears that your flip-top is going to have coil suspension, instead of the original leaf, is that correct?

Not to nail you down on an exact number, but about what would be the cost for a flip-top complete roller with leaf spring suspension?

Thanks.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
David, it appears that your flip-top is going to have coil suspension, instead of the original leaf, is that correct?

Not to nail you down on an exact number, but about what would be the cost for a flip-top complete roller with leaf spring suspension?

Thanks.
This is a custom car that Darren wanted. He dreamed about a 427 (coil-sprung) with a "Flip-Top" tilt front end.

We can make an original style leaf spring Flip Top--no problem. Do you want it to have a tilt back and the horizontal flip down doors too? The car is certainly a one-of-a-kind.

David
Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Yes David.

I was thinking about truly a copy of the original, flip front and rear, ? same shape as well?

I guess you could get it close from pictures?

Thanks.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, Hmmmmm.... Should we tilt the rear? Way too many options.. I'll stick with our original plan. How is the progress? Darren
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes David.

I was thinking about truly a copy of the original, flip front and rear, ? same shape as well?

I guess you could get it close from pictures?

Thanks.
We are actually doing a Super Snake right now. We got the shape of the hood from digitizing a model of the car. We will make the hood form soon. (More YouTube videos on that). We could easily digitize a model of the Flip-Top if we could find one. Or, we could get really close with pictures. One of our customers used to own the Flip-Top and I imagine he has quite a few photos of the car.

David
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David, Hmmmmm.... Should we tilt the rear? Way too many options.. I'll stick with our original plan. How is the progress? Darren

We an make just about anything you want...just let us know in time

David
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Yes, tilt the rear that would be awesome, its awesome either way to me, cool car

Last edited by fordracing65; 02-09-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
We an make just about anything you want...just let us know in time

David
I just can't get the image out of my mind of a P51D Kirkham Cobra concept with polished body, exposed rivets, flat black hood and USAF markings. (.50 cal wing guns could be optional ). Seriously, I think this would make a great show car.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-09-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You guys need to contact one of the cable channles and let them do a reality show demonstrating your talents. It would be a huge hit!!!