Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkham Motorsports University The Making of a Flip Top

Hey Guys!

One of our buddies here on Club Cobra, Darren, decided he wanted a really cool car that he could drive across the US to Washington DC. He didn't have to look far to find someone willing to go with him

Darren wants a "Flip-Top" with a 427 SOHC motor. We will have to do several modifications to the car to make the nose tilt and to get that monster motor inside. Here at our continuing education program at Kirkham Motorsports University we are going to take you right inside our shop and show you how we take your dreams and turn them into iron. We will post the entire build here on this thread.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

David

"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

David, thank you so much. Let's get this party started....
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Keep in mind the actual "Flip Top" is not just a tilt front end. It has a different body shape, type, and overall profile looking at it from any angle side, front, or back. There is a bit more to the body and chassis that makes it what it is. The back of the car tilts too and the position or layout of the body over (or around) the chassis is a bit unique. My ERA sits low, but feels like a Highboy in comparison to sitting in the FT where you actually feel like your rear is almost touching the ground; the car is literally on a completely different level than a regular 427 car.

Last edited by decooney; 01-25-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Keep in mind the actual "Flip Top" is not just a tilt front end. It has a different body shape, type, and overall profile looking at it from any angle side, front, or back. There is a bit more to the body and chassis that makes it what it is. The back of the car tilts too and the position or layout of the body over (or around) the chassis is a bit unique. My ERA sits low, but feels like a Highboy in comparison to sitting in the FT where you actually feel like your rear is almost touching the ground; the car is literally on a completely different level than a regular 427 car.
Indeed the car is completely different--right down to the leaf springs. Alas, we make dreams according to customer specifications.

David
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Pininfarina has nothing on the Kirkhams!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Today was an exciting day. We made a ton of progress on welding in the new sub-structure.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions.

David

Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

David, great progress. Are you going to use gas shocks to assist in tilting the front end?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 & 289 (KMP 090 & KMPS 040) and need a Kirkham GT-40
Not Ranked     

David,
Will your hinge not only have to pivot but also pull forward to prevent binding on the lower rear corner of your "bonnet" from binding on the body?
Robert
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I wish that the Speed channel or the Carstv channel would give you guys a regular show. It would be much cooler than Two Guys Garage.

I'm no expert.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
David, great progress. Are you going to use gas shocks to assist in tilting the front end?
We'll see what we need to do once the nose is tilting. I doubt the nose will be very heavy. Do you want them? If so, we'll put some in!

David
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT View Post
David,
Will your hinge not only have to pivot but also pull forward to prevent binding on the lower rear corner of your "bonnet" from binding on the body?
Robert
The corner doesn't hit in the CAD model, but it is very close. We'll see when we get there.

David
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
We'll see what we need to do once the nose is tilting. I doubt the nose will be very heavy. Do you want them? If so, we'll put some in!

David
I would rather have a small gas shock then a hood prop rod.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,
It's amazing to watch you guys go form mind to metal.

Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I don't know the first thing about operating a water-jet. All I do know is that I want one.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
I don't know the first thing about operating a water-jet. All I do know is that I want one.
Water jets are amazing machines. I don't know how we ever got along without one. When we were cleaning out the attic I found the first frame parts I had ever made. I traced the outline of the part with a scribe onto 1/8" sheet steel. I then center punched the center of holes that had to be drilled. I cut the parts out with a jig saw I bought from Sears because I couldn't afford a band saw. We have come a long way.

David
Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Very cool. It will be fun to follow the progress on this one.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I love the idea of replicating significant or unique original cars. If I could afford it David, we'd be talking CSX3002!
Larry
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Very cool. It will be fun to follow the progress on this one.
Tomorrow will be another fun day. We got the sides of the car straightened and we will be fitting in the structure to hold the rear of the nose together after it is cut off. More video tomorrow.

David
Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
After you see my updated build list the English Channel won't seem too difficult.
(I quoted from the Workout thread...don't want that one to get too far off track.)

Send the list over ASAP as we will be cutting on your chariot soon...very soon.

David
Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

David

These are wonderful videos giving insight to how you think about solving design and fabrication problems as well as the fabrication techniques themselves. Keep them coming!

Mark