Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

The Kirkham's are making an undercar exhaust system with a side exit in front of the rear wheels. After speaking with David about the headers and the heat shields that are necessary, it was definitely the best option to go ahead and have them make the system.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, bellhousing, hydraulic clutch slave, intake, and reverse rotation water pump are now installed.
Unfortunately, concept 1 sent me the wrong pulley system, so it all has to be removed and returned. They are sending me the correct system, but this one will be polished instead of black anodized.

Checking the bellhousing alignment. Everything checked out ok.

Aluminum TKO bellhousing, clutch fork, and clutch slave kit from Modern Driveline.
Their clutch slave kit was very easy to install.

Wrong pulley system

Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum bell housing

Are you not worried about the aluminum bell housing failing to contain debris if the clutch blows? I would be...
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Are you not worried about the aluminum bell housing failing to contain debris if the clutch blows? I would be...
Not one bit. How many production sports cars came with and still come with aluminum bell housings? I've built a lot of cars and I've never had a clutch blow apart. Besides, most of the steel bell housings are so poorly machined that they do not fit correctly and require offset dowels. Not to mention, they weigh and cost entirely too much.
Wbulk likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

That's is a nice slave kit. What are the chances of a clutch exploding & the circumstances in which this has happened using modern components? I have picked up a cast iron bellhousing since finishing my car. I wish to eventually install it. I don't race, though. So the urgency to do so has taken a back shelf.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it is now for sale if you want it. I pulled the tremec from another build and forgot that the kirkhams need a short input shaft installed on the tremec and a different bell housing, so things are off by about 1/2". The braided hydraulic hose the kirkhams installed will not reach the slave i installed, so i am just going to switch to one of their arms and a pull style slave instead of a push.
So, the bellhousing, slave, and clutch fork are now for sale.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I did not make the deadline for my wedding, but that is ok. Our venue was in the middle of nowhere Georgia, so it would have been a pain to trailer the car there anyway.

New concept 1 pulley system installed. I have to say that concept 1 really went to great lengths to correct their mistake and even offered to drive the correct pulley system to me on a Saturday so I would have it on time. Nice people!

The tube on the Kirkham tank interferes with the connection of the upper radiator hose, so I am going to have my fabricator cut a wedge at the top, angle it up slightly, then TIG it from the inside.

mando s and RockBit like this.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

I'd first take a look at some Reducing Elbow's:

90 Degree Reducing Elbows - Silicone: Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intakehoses.com
Rubber Hose, Sheet Rubber, Rubber and Plastic Tubing - Ace Hose & Rubber Company - Shop Online

Hope the links help...

Last edited by LightNFast; 09-25-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the links and not a bad idea, but I'm afraid it is too tight for a reducer to work.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I had the car ready to run today, but I have no fire in the hole! Once again, there is an issue with a magnetic pickup on an MSD distributor. I'm ordering a new pickup tonight and hopefully it will be here by Friday. Everything else tests out fine...msd box, fuel pressure, initial carb settings, etc. Now I remember why i swore off MSD products after the last build!

CORRECTION: I only had power to the digital 6 box with the key in the ON position, but not in the crank position. Correct wire run to the box and now all is well.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 10-02-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

She's alive! It sounds pretty terrible due to the leaky headers(no gaskets yet), but none the less, it is up and running, which is a good feeling.

Posted better video below.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 10-02-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a better video. I secured the headers, but they still have leaks since I don't have the correct gaskets yet.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jn8CK-uF1g&list=UUSktJKxQzFvTs3EjFl1v-uA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jn8CK-uF1g&list=UUSktJKxQzFvTs3EjFl1v-uA[/ame]
Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

That's always a big step & a damn good feeling. Congratulations!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Great feeling when it runs...........
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have to say, I feel like I am cheating. I think I only have around 25 hours total in the car so far.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, one issue is resolved, but there are major issues with the exhaust and I am still waiting on a VIN tag. Not sure why my car did not come with one attached, but it did not.

I had my fabricator make a spacer for the coolant tank so that it would clear the alternator.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe I missed it, did you say you're keeping the body in raw aluminum?

What tires are you planning to use?

Nice build.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Maybe I missed it, did you say you're keeping the body in raw aluminum?

What tires are you planning to use?

Nice build.
That's the plan currently, but I can't find anybody that is willing to Tig weld the bad areas on the hood, so I might not have a choice but to paint the car. My dream was to have a brushed aluminum body, but i guess you can't always get what you want.

I'm keeping the crappy tires that came on the car for now. The car was supposed to come with bf goodrich, but it has futura tires, which i have never heard of. Apparently it is getting harder to find the right size for 15" rims, so that is why the futura tires were supplemented.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-17-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The header supplies arrived at my fabricators shop the other day. I will post updates as he progresses. Note the notches in the flanges for clearance of the plug wire boots.
Again, the kirkham headers would not work on my car due to the high port heads that came with the Ford Racing 363 stroker...just a note for those that might make the same mistake. I have the Kirkham headers listed in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Resto: Did you order your car with file or brushed finish ? I find it hard to believe Kirkham would send out something not right. Have you contacted them about the hood?
I bought a complete hood some years ago that was made for another car. It didn't fit properly ( too narrow). Had a local welder put 2 beads down one side and 3 on the other. After filing and sanding ,it fit fine and you couldn't tell it had been done. What exactly is the problem with your hood ? You wanted brushed finish, don't give up so easily !
Ted