Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default anyone use MSD "timing computer"?

I think the stalling and dieseling I have had in my Kirkham/Southern may well be a timing issue. I'd like to retain the original look of the distributor, so going to an MSD unit isn't my first choice, but it could work. However, MSD makes a "timing" computer that is programmable. (Their number 121-8981.) and this looks like a neat option. Has anyone had any experience with these? One must take out, or in some way disable, the advance weights, so that the distributor is just that...a distributor of spark. How hard is that to do with the Ford Duraspark unit? Thanx steve
Old 06-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Steve, just so you know; MSD units only use the distributor as a switching device, loading the points with only a few milliamps. At that rate a set of points will last almost for ever. Using the MSD with a stock type distributor will still leave you with a total of 6 wires attached to your coil but various methods of camouflaging can be used to hide this. The MSD box can be mounted almost anywhere out of sight, leaving you with the benefits of multiple sparks and a vintage appearance.

Hope that helps, another Steve
Old 06-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanx so much....I appreciate your help. steve
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I use the timing computer. It works well. I use it with an MSD distributor and 6AL spark box.

Basically, you lock-out the mechanical advance fly-weights in the distributor. Then you set the distributor to trigger at full-in timing, usually 32-38 deg advanced from TDC. The timing computer then delays the signal from the MSD trigger to the coil, pulling timing out based on RPM. The timing computer has three potentiometers (dials) on it (as I recall). One sets the maximum timing it pulls out from full advance (up to 20 degrees). The other two set the RPM where the timing ramp begins and where it ends. I find it easy to use and effective.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have one of them MSD timing computers. Still in the box, on a shelf in my garage.

You are right about the weights and vacuum advance beeing removed. This isn't a big problem with a Ford electronic distributor. Just pull out the base plate with the trigger and remove the weights, plug the vacuum ports and hook up the timing computer.

The timing curve is adjusted via small screws:

Btw I think you need a MSD ignition box (6A) to use the timing computer

-Simon
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thank y'all for your help. sounds like the mods to the distributor require it's removal, which i'd assume should be done at TDC for #1. is this corrrect? And Simon, why is yours still sitting in the box? I have the 6AL flame thrower, so that's done. thanx again. steve
Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Steve,

You do not need to remove the distributor at TCD#1. It can be removed with the engine anywhere, just make a careful observation of where the rotor is pointing and also note where it rotates to as you pull it upward. Then simply put it back in exactly as it came out. Remember not to turn over the engine with the dist out...
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah, that makes sense...as long as finish the project where you started...and don't move anything. thanx. s
Old 06-28-2005, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by steve meltzer

And Simon, why is yours still sitting in the box?
It's just waiting to be installed. No time yet