Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default Replacing the rear main seal....argghhh!

I've been told that one can replace the rear main seal on a 427 by just R&Ring the pan. Is this true on our Kirkhams, or does one need to pull the engine out, or at least the tranny, bellhouseing and flywheel? thanx steve
Old 07-02-2006, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer
I've been told that one can replace the rear main seal on a 427 by just R&Ring the pan. Is this true on our Kirkhams, or does one need to pull the engine out, or at least the tranny, bellhouseing and flywheel? thanx steve

Yes, It is true and it is not fun. Are you sure it is the rear main? I went through this last year and I was sure it was the rear main. After replacing the seal it was still leaking. Turned out to be a galley plug. Trust me on this, pull everything including the fly wheel and save yourself some grief. It could be the cam seal or the oil galley plugs on the FE's. You will have an easier time with the rear main either way.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Well, I respectfully disagree with Mike. IMHO, I would (and DID) pull the rear main by just dropping the pan, relatively painless. I also pulled the transmission and flywheel, thinking it was the rear galley plugs, and found (THAT time) that it was the rear valley seal on the manifold.
I would either run a tracer dye if you're not absolutely CERTAIN it is the rear main (to eliminate the rear valley and the galley plugs), or just pull it and change it, not really that hard.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 07-02-2006, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Cobra + FE = Anything but painless...................

All good advice above...Steve. You might do well to make sure the cooler hose fittings are not leaking at the block off plate. Those NPT's can be a ***** to properly seal.

Bud

Last edited by Bud Man; 07-02-2006 at 03:08 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Sorry...those NPT's can be a beach to properly seal..

Bud
Old 07-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rear main seal is my diagnosis. I might take it for a second opinion. Wonder if my COBRA insurance will cover it?? thanx guys.
Note to Bud Man: great to hear from you! s
Old 07-02-2006, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to see your post, Steve. Sorry you are having what appears to be a rear main leak. Hopefully it's not. Honestly, for the life of me I don't know how you can fix it w/o extracting the motor, but hey what do I know. I hope you are well, and enjoying the summer.

Bud
Old 07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any brand names or suggestions for finding the oil tracer? I think you need a black lite as well...wonder if I can score a nickel bag with that! Should have taken my roomate's when I was in college. s
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Steve, I got some tracer dye at an auto parts house, got a standard UV light bulb for my drop light at Home Depot I think.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just ordered a kit that included those really cool yellow glasses. whata trip. thanx s