Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     
Default Oil cooler

My car does not have an oil cooler & I want one. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Hi Rob. If you post in the BDR forum you will get better response. This is the las vegas club forum. We post here about meetings and such; not so much about tech issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Try this ,I have used these for quite a long time and have had no problems at all and it does seem to work great and it looks the part once mounted. It even comes polished.!!
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 427w
Not Ranked     

Rob, are you gonna run your car at the track? If not, you may not need one. But if you want one I'd check with Backdraft and see if they have one made to fit your car.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Here's the one Backdraft sells for their cars.
http://www.backdraftparts.com/shopexd.asp?id=88
Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have spaced the fact that this is the LV club forum & not really a tech Q forum, sorry bout that!
I do appreciate the info listed guys!! thanks! I am not gonna track the car, but would feel a little better with the cooler.

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Big...Rob...,
What is your engine size, big block or small, street or track, soft (street) or hard (track) driving, what type of oil filtration system do you have now, what type of oil does your powerplant require, how do the Vegas temps. influence the temp.range of your engne, what is the long range intent of your driving?
If a cooler would make you feel better install one with a thermostat..or.. install a fake one...........many do.

Last edited by lineslinger; 01-18-2008 at 08:59 PM..
Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob, I live in Vegas. If I did not tack the car, I would not run the cooler for the fact that I cannot generate enough heat when the weather is cold. I actually tape the cooler up when aluminum tape when not on the track. If you like the looks of one, mount it but do not connect it unless your temps are truly running too hot.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

The oil cooler is cool, but it does suck some oil pressure out of your system with the extra plumbing. For the street not necessary. You do want the oil to temp past boiling to burn off any moisture that gets in there. High capacity system with a cooler make this pretty hard to do unless your driving it hard at sustained rpms. As sugested above the T-Stat would solve that issue...again more plumbing. You can always hook it up and try it. If it helps great, if not you can always disconnect it and cap it off and keep it for looks.

John
Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 427w
Not Ranked     

Rob, Curt is correct. On the street my biggest problem is getting the oil up to operating temps. I'm considering one of these to help: http://64.202.180.37/files/laminova.pdf
Should warm up the oil faster and keep the temps lower when under heavy loads or sustained high RPM's as in racing.

Otherwise I'd go with the Backdraft setup (with shroud) and install a oil thermostat.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This has nothing to do with looks! I just want to make sure the oil does not get crazy hot, mainly in the summer heat! I will definately not be tracking or racing the car.........except, of course, on the street sometimes! Gotta have some fun! If you guys think I will be OK with out it, that's good enough for me.

Once again, Grazie!!

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Hey Rob, I know the cooler I suggested is not $300-00 odd , but it does work well. Difficult to beat for the money and not too much money to try it out. They sell an adaptor as well as hose. I used hose that does not even use clamps at the cooler fittings. Really clean install and no leaks! I will add pics tomorrow am.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

Mocal makes some nice pieces don't they? I too have looked at that unit. Plumbing would be difficult in my application but not impossible. Let me know if you install one; I would really like to see it.

Last edited by Curt C.; 01-20-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: crappy spelling
Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Rob, I have a cooler on my car. In Texas the oil wouldn't get warm enough so I added a T-stat...still didn't get warm enough for my liking. In Vegas on the hottest day (maybe 115 or so) in stop and go traffic it only got to 230 or so indicated with the coolant temp about 205-210. It basically follows the cooling system temp, so when I would get back on the open road the coolant temp would drop back to thermostat temp (180-185) and the oil temp would drop to about 200-210. On these very hot days, if I avoided stop and go traffic, the oil would have trouble getting above 200 degrees, so still not hot enough for my liking, even with the MoCal T-stat. I'm thinking about changing to a different t-stat to get the oil temp higher, but then would that affect the coolant temp?
FWIW, I don't track my car. I think the oil cooler looks cool, but is overkill for street machines, and not necessary. Maybe I'll just cap mine off...
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Rob, I have a cooler on my car. In Texas the oil wouldn't get warm enough so I added a T-stat...still didn't get warm enough for my liking. In Vegas on the hottest day (maybe 115 or so) in stop and go traffic it only got to 230 or so indicated with the coolant temp about 205-210. It basically follows the cooling system temp, so when I would get back on the open road the coolant temp would drop back to thermostat temp (180-185) and the oil temp would drop to about 200-210. On these very hot days, if I avoided stop and go traffic, the oil would have trouble getting above 200 degrees, so still not hot enough for my liking, even with the MoCal T-stat. I'm thinking about changing to a different t-stat to get the oil temp higher, but then would that affect the coolant temp?
FWIW, I don't track my car. I think the oil cooler looks cool, but is overkill for street machines, and not necessary. Maybe I'll just cap mine off...
I appreciate the info Ken! Thanks! I have a cooling fan override switch, & will will utilize it alot, in the summer, in stop & go if need be!

Thanks again!

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

mr0077,

If you're thinking about changing thermostats, consider the Canton. It is set to open at 212 degrees. I installed one on my SPF for the same reasons you did. Once the thermostat opens, the oil stays at 100C or a little higher unless I'm on it real hard for a continued period if time. The coolant temp stays around 90- 95C. Check my gallery for some photos of the install.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.