28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2535 Indigo with White Stripes and Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

This is my whole process as I remember it. I picked up the car in Phoenix 2/2/07 and drove it home to Henderson. Ran out of gas just outside Wickenburg, (1/8th of a tank of gas will not go 15 more miles). Called a wrecker to bring a gallon of gas. Cost $50.00, hearing the motor fire up again priceless. Drove home, cold weather and frequent fuel stops, but without incident. Next week drove to DMV in Henderson. Went inside waited in line and was told to go back out and have the car inspected by the DMV people. Got in that line. The guys were pleasant but not too helpful. The assigned a VIN and we affixed the number to the frame. Went inside and got in line again. When my number was called I spent about 10 minutes with the lady when she "discovered" that my car had not been inspected. She gave me the form and directed me to a garage where they could inspect the car. I drove to the garage and left it while I went for a late breakfast. I came back to pick up my car the said "no charge" that they just enjoyed looking at the car and the owner enjoyed driving to the back of the shop at low speed. Completed form in hand, back to DMV. Waited in line again. Got to my number and again talking to a different person. Spoke for about 10 minutes or so and she went to talk to supervisor. She was gone at least 15 minutes. She came back and said that the license for the inspector had expired and I had to had it re-inspected. I left but not without some whining. She gave me a go to the head of the line pass to get me out the door. I drove around until I found a shop willing to do the inspection. $40.00 later I was back at DMV with my head of line pass. That pass puts you into a different line but it was a little shorter I think. Spoke to a different person again. Another 25 minutes later and a discussion with the supervisor I walked out with registration as a 2007 assembled vehicle. They explained to me that new cars were exempt from emissions for 2 years and after that I had to pass emissions. I figured that I would renew 1 year and then "move" to Arizona for a while and register there as a 1966 and "move" back to Nevada the next year. I then heard about the new rules, Yeah!! Early January so I can be one of the first 100 I start the process over again that I wrote about earlier. Long story, sorry, but hopefully the moral is, "keep at it and it will all work out". I'll have to see if my registration renewal next year has me as exempt. The DMV told me that I would get a new registration card in about 6-8 weeks. I haven't seen it yet.
Good luck
Randy

Last edited by Randy M.; 03-25-2008 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default title of Cobra

I really feel for everyone that has to go threw the DMV. I had to change my SS# several years ago and they didn't even have a form for that.I had to go back thirteen times and have a folder 1 inch thick of paper work. I'm glad I didn't have to Reg. my car like that.(Thank god for judges and lawers) It would have started to bum me out. But I can say once its done it will be worth the effort that it took. Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     

Well I spoke too soon!! Got a letter today from the DMV, seems I have a problem cause the guy at the inspection station put my car down as an '06 & on the title it is listed as a '65! Due to the discrepency, I am supposed to try to get ahold of the seller & have something signed by him & myself & notorized....aint gonna happen. They give me another outlet if I cannot get ahold of the seller. I will be heading back to the guy at the DMV inspection station in a few minutes! I'll let you guys know.........

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited

Last edited by bigrob; 03-26-2008 at 02:08 AM..
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Rob, Bill would have no problem with signing whatever you need...want me to contact him?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Rob, Bill would have no problem with signing whatever you need...want me to contact him?

I really appreciate that Ken...Thanks. I agree, super nice guy & I did figure it would be no problem, just the hassle of it is all. Luckily I went back to DMV & went to the "Title gate" which is between 2 windows, & got it all squared away! Real nice girl there that new exactly what to do. 15 minutes and I was out. Even the guy at the inspection station told me to leave my car there in an empty lane so he could keep an eye on it for me! All went really cool! I'll have my title in a couple of weeks!

Thanks again Ken. Hopefully I'll get to meet you and the other guys soon!

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good for yiou, Rob. I wish I was so lucky! Funny thing, your car doesn't comply with the policy they told me this morning, but yours was a breeze, while mine is hung up with their bone-headed "local" policy!
Tlad it all worked out.
BTW, Bill and his sweetheart are getting married this weekend at the Texas state Cobra meet, should be a real hoot, with maybe a hundred Cobras in attendance!
See you soon, maybe at the Charleston run early next month?
Later
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

Ken- Thanks again for all the info.

If this process gets too abusive, I will start escalating it quickly. David Rogers' (Attorney General) sister is a friend. I can get to both Bob List and Kenny Guinn (former Governors) with two phone calls. Oscar Goodman might take three phone calls. John Ensign lives five doors down. The President of the MGM is a good personal friend. I am sure I could rattle some leaves pretty quickly if I really wanted to, but I would really hate to push those kind of buttons over something that is supposed to be simple.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if you have to take it that far, have one of them call Clay Thomas, the Deputy Director of NDMV, or better yet, Jenny Lewis, the Director - 775/684-4661 (Carson City)!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2006 Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default 100 Cars can be registered per year

There appears to be some at DMV that are telling folks that as soon as Nevada gets to 100 registrations they will stop registering these vehicles. This is simply not true. The bill clearly states that it is 100 per year - See below:

Section 1. Chapter 482 of NRS is hereby amended by adding
thereto a new section to read as follows:
1. The Department may not issue a certificate of registration
for more than 100 replica vehicles each year. The fact that the
vehicle is to be registered as a replica vehicle must be stated in the
application for registration.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
DougR,

Just to clarify your understanding of the SB-100 bill in California it is for newly built cars only. BUT, later they added SB-1578 which uses the same 500 numbers so that people who bought cars out of state could register them legally in this republic. That is why you got a number with a turn key car. As long as you buy it from a private party and don't have it built by some manufacturer, then you can use the SB-1578. I just wish they had used another 500 numbers instead of lumping it in with the 500 that SB-100 users are trying to get. Also the law there seems to have one thing that is better than SB-100. Here if yo apply and the 500 numbers are used up already, then you have to have the car smogged via the date the engine was manufactured instead of just waiting another year. So anyone trying to get a number make sure they don't start the process if the 500 are already gone, because they won't reverse it and let you wait until next year. And the California DMV is as screwed up as any in the world. No two seem to work the same way.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery