Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2535 Indigo with White Stripes and Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     
Default New Registration Law

I just finished registering my car under the new Nevada law. The law allows 100 replica vehicles per year to be emission exempt. There are certain rules such as pre-1968 body style, not a daily driver, etc. I started out at the Henderson DMV office. They referred me to the E. Sahara main office. According to the Sahara office, the Henderson office could have done the paperwork. I went to the Sahara office as instructed, (I always do as I am told), and they were really helpful. Roger from the emission station person ally walked me into the main building and arranged for Leland to do the paperwork. Roger obtained pre-printed step-by-step instructions from their DMV computer. Leland followed the instructions, Roger walked out into the parking lot to verify the mileage, and all fees were paid. All done in less than 1 hour. I got the replica exemption and registration renewal all in one easy stop. I also got to drive the car again today. What a great day it has been so far. Finally, the reason for the post today. My car was #29 out of an available 100. There are 71 still available. Everybody should consider this registration option if it meets your requirements. The available positions will not last the whole year. Good luck. Randy
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Randy, thanks for the update, I'll be looking into this very shortly.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #113, 482 aluminum FE 601hp
Not Ranked     

Randy,
Do you get to keep your existing personalized plate or is there a special plate for this? Last year I went to renew my registration and look into this. They told me (at the Sahara Office) that there is a special plate and I would not be able to keep my current personalized plate.

Is this what they told you??

Ken,
Are you back in Las Vegas yet?

Scott
Old 01-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, I'm here, not sure if I can make the 2/2 meeting, going to try.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 427w
Not Ranked     

This is interesting. I thought the SB100 thing would apply to only new, previously unregistered vehicles. My car was previously registered in AZ and I went to the Henderson DMV and they gave me a Nevada registration that matched my AZ one. No questions ask. My car was registered as a 1965 Ford Cobra in AZ so it was smog exempt already. Maybe that what got me thru.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to Doc_Naughty
Not Ranked     
Smile new smog registration

Hey Guys,

For anyone interested in the new law, you can do a "Google" search for Nevada Assembly Bill 321. I think the form at the DMV is RD237 but is definently called the "Replica Vehicle Application". Once filled out, you just go to the window and if you get any static ask for a Supervisor. Not sure how many certificates were given out last year but I'm going Saturday.

Pete

And when stopped for a vehicle inspection and asked why the brake pedal seemed to go just a little to close to the floor, the response was:

"I didn't buy this car to stop . . . it doesn't have anything on it that doesn't make it go faster!"

Brock Yates
Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Randy,

Did they give you anything or just tell you that you were number 29 in line? I went and did it last year in December. They told me I was number 27 in line. I have not received any thing from Carson City confirming this yet.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got to keep my personalized plates. They gave me a copy of the application form, renewed my registration and a 2009 sticker for the plate, and a phone number if I have not received an updated registration card in about a month. Randy
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Randy, Would you mind giving me that phone number? I did not get a sticker or anything like that. You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks so much.

Curt
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

486-4918 is the number for the support desk at the Sahara DMV. The sticker I got was the registration renewal sticker for the license plate. Randy
Old 01-26-2008, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     

I was at DMV to register my car last Tue. The guy at the information area said all looked good & just gave me a #. When my # came up, the guy at the desk said I need a Vin inspection, but nothing of the new law. I have not gone back yet. I am gonna print that form & take it with me. I went to the DMV in N. Las Vegas.

I checked the DMV for the RD-237 but no luck. I also did a search for a " Replica vehicle application " on the DMV form search, & got nothing as well. It still shows replica vehicles as exempt under their exemption list. I guess I will find out more when I go back. I am out of town as of now. It will probably be 2 weeks before I get back there. I will let you know how it goes.

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited

Last edited by bigrob; 01-26-2008 at 05:27 AM..
Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds just like our recent Hawaii law, which allows 100 vehicles a year. Being a 'small kine' place it might as well be a 1,000 a year. We have only a handful of cars that utilize it, mostly the Cobras and some Dune Buggies.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 418w
Not Ranked     

I replied in an earlier thread about the Gov passing the law:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
After 1 1/2 hours yesterday at the DMV (sitting down with tech time, not wait time), I registered my car under this new law. This was this offices (Henderson) first replica registration, so they had to make several calls to make sure they were doing everything correctly. No smog, need to keep the miles under 2,500 a year.

I was #23 out of the 100 available replica registrations available.

Kenny
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up DMV Form

The form is real . . . I have two in my possesion.

The DMV doesn't really know to much about this new law, but guy I talked to in the Sahara office was very helpful looking it up on their internal network.

It took him about 20 minutes to find it but did come up with it and said: "Fill this out and then go to vehicle inspection to get signed off". I'm going back next Saturday cuz the inspection station was closed at 1:00pm.

HTH

Doc

And when stopped for a vehicle inspection and asked why the brake pedal seemed to go just a little to close to the floor, the response was:

"I didn't buy this car to stop . . . it doesn't have anything on it that doesn't make it go faster!"

Brock Yates
Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Nevada Registration

Well Guys,

I'm 30 . . . at the DMV that is.

Went today (2-9-08) and it only took about an hour total from the time the inspector "didn't" look at my Cobra to placing the new tags for my personalized plate.

The inspector asked me what engine I had and I said "65 289". He said "OK" and signed the Exempt slip. I went inside and got my ticket (number 318) and the display was at 298. Twenty minutes later I was starting the Cobra to head for home with a new 09 tag and number 30 stamped on my Replica Vehicle application. Whoo Hoo!!!

I did find out something I was previously not understanding . . . the 100 applications are NOT every year. When the state gets to 100, no one else will be able to get an exemption until someone gives their's up. You'll be placed on a waiting list . . .

Doc (Pete)

Brock Yates
Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if there are 100 in town? I have'nt been able to get back there yet. I keep running into one problem after another. Had to rejet my carb, then my clutch master went, & now my fuel pump. Hopefully I will have it at DMV within 2 to 3 weeks!

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Vegas Registration

BigRob,

I was 30 and that's from the beginning . . . it all started about june/july of 07 and if I'm 30 in Feb. 08, you should be OK.

Doc
(Pete)

Brock Yates
Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete, Randy and anyone else that has gone through this successfully, please email me at kcs1944@gmail.com or call me at 702/304-1508. I've been to the Flamingo and Decatur DMV offices a total of 8 times already, and still need at least 3 more trips according to them (one to someone to certify what year my motor is, one to Sahara emissions lab to verify it meets smog or is exempt, and one more to DMV to get title and registration). Particularly, did you guys have pre-1968 motors and did you get an "EXEMPT" rating? They are saying that if the motor is not pre-1968 it has to meet smog requirements. Is there a number in Carson City that can explain this to either me or them?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Pete, Randy and anyone else that has gone through this successfully, please email me at kcs1944@gmail.com or call me at 702/304-1508. I've been to the Flamingo and Decatur DMV offices a total of 8 times already, and still need at least 3 more trips according to them (one to someone to certify what year my motor is, one to Sahara emissions lab to verify it meets smog or is exempt, and one more to DMV to get title and registration). Particularly, did you guys have pre-1968 motors and did you get an "EXEMPT" rating? They are saying that if the motor is not pre-1968 it has to meet smog requirements. Is there a number in Carson City that can explain this to either me or them?
Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just did mine last week at the North LV DMV on N. Decatur & Deer Springs. Here is what I went through but DID get it done. If the Replica form I attached does not show, look at my thread " Got Plate?" You'll be able to pull it up! Good Luck!

I finally got my plates. Let me give you a quick go over on what I had to do. Went to the vehicle inspection station at DMV for a VIN check. The guy knew about the law & printed the replica form which I am gonna attach. I had to go to an independent auto shop for a Mickey mouse inspection.....lights, signals, E brake, horn, wipers, that sort of thing. $50 & I was golden. Back to DMV & the inspection station. The guy signed all the papers & said he had to list my vehicle as a 2006, because that was the date on the title of when the title was issued, which makes absolutely no sense! But, he said it would not matter because of the Replica law, emissions would still be exempt, so I said OK. Went into DMV & got some girl who nothing. All said and done, after she spoke with her supervisor, she tells me I may need to get the car smogged because the car is listed as a 2006 model! I told her that the whole reason behind the replica law is to be emissions exempt!! DUH!!
Anyway got my plates!! She told me that they may send a letter or call about the smog. If they get in touch with me, I will have to speak to the right person. I am not worried about it! Car is listed on the reggi as a 2006 ASVE.....assembled vehicle!

Kinda stupid how uninformed these people are!

The 100 car thing is per year! I guess from Jan to Dec. The girl at the counter did not know.

There it is a little small though. You may be able to open it, save it, & hopefully SEE it!!
Attached Thumbnails

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After the 9th trip to DMV and 6 phone calls (to Carson City, Reno and local DMV), I have learned the following:
1. The DMV in Reno and Carson City have their stuff together and understand the law;
2. The Las Vegas DMV has been instructed to interpret the replica law differently than the actual law, i.e., a replica is NOT just a body made after 1968 that resembles a car made before 1968, but it is a vehicle that "replicates" (meaning an EXACTLY DUPLICATES!) a pre-1968 vehicle, including the body, frame and motor! This means that if a replica has a motor that does not replicate a '65, '66 or '67 Cobra motor, the DMV will not approve it as a replica!
3. This law and interpretation was supposedly created so Shelby could get his cars licensed as replicas, according to local DMV;
4. The original law said 100 vehicles per year, but according to LVDMV, the policy is 100 total period, and no more will be issued. The DMV guy said they made a mistake in the law...I said then it is the law until they change it, right? He said no, since they had issued a policy and rule interpretation that trumped the law (?!?)...and there would only be 100 total replica registrations.

I am right now waiting for the the Las Vegas DMV Deputy Administrator of Emission Testing to return my call to see what he has to say, then on to his supervisor, the Administrator of DMV Las Vegas, then on to either Reno DMV for an end run around the red tape or a conversation with Jenny Lewis, the Director of DMV Nevada. This is more fun than a poke in the a$$ with a hot poker.

And consider this: I have a VIN-check form from DMV that says my car was built in 2001 and resembles a 1966 Cobra, but that is not enough for the DMV to determine that it qualifies under the law as a replica (From the law, NRS445B.759; "Replica vehicle" means any passenger car or light-duty motor vehicle which: (1) Has a body manufactured after 1968 which is made to resemble a vehicle of a model manufactured before 1968...").

Any lawyers out there interested in doing a little pro bono work in filing a Writ of Mandamus to direct them to observe the law?

More to follow.

Last edited by mr0077; 03-25-2008 at 11:54 AM..