17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Goodbye my friend Mike Braatz

One of the best men I have ever met was killed in a hit and run last night. There are VERY few people on the planet I would call a friend, Mike was one of them. He spent his life helping teens in trouble. They faced prison or if mike was willing to take them into his home, they could go there. He was an incredible counselor and a very good friend. There are dozens, if not hundreds of people that owe Mike an eternal debt of gratitude.

If you have been to LCS, you have met him.

If you live in northeast Ohio, keep your eyes open:

"The second crash occurred at 6:42 p.m. on Ohio 241 at Erie Street in Massillon.
A 2005 Harley-Davidson driven by 70-year-old Michael Braatz, of Wooster, was going east on Ohio 241 and approaching the green light at Erie.
Someone driving a late '80s or early '90s model green and tan Chevrolet or Plymouth minivan south on Erie made an erratic right turn onto 241 and struck the motorcycle. The minivan kept going, Lt. William Weirtz.
Braatz, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at 7:49 p.m. at Affinity Hospital.
Anyone with information on the hit-skip driver or minivan is asked to call the Canton Post at 330-433-6200."

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com

Last edited by rdorman; 05-21-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ff5 302 b cam carb
Not Ranked     
Default Goodbye mike

I met Mike at a car show, with the Cobra, 10 years ago.
He treated me like he had know me all my life. A good guy.
He will be missed.

jack

My SEX life is not dead, but the BUZZARDS are circling.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I am devastated. Mike was one of the first friends I made by going to London each year. What a great and kindhearted guy. He took such an interest in me and my family. LCS won't be the same for me this year without him.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Like the rest have posted....one of the greatest guys you would ever want to meet...RIP
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Here's a request of those of you in northern Ohio... Please be sure to post any new information as to how to send condolence to the family and how the investigation is proceeding, etc. I am hoping an arrest will occur soon in this senseless killing of one of our own.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All I know as of now is the State Highway Patrol is investigating this and treating it as a homicide. They are reviewing local security cameras and have at least a partial plate number. When I hear anymore I will post the information.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com

Last edited by rdorman; 05-22-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That is such a terrible shame. I hope they nail the culprit.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A memorial service will be held for Mike Friday 5/25, 6:30PM at the Chapel on the campus of Boy's Village 3011 Akron Road, Wooster Ohio 44691

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com

Last edited by rdorman; 05-23-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Mike lived next to my nephew, in Wadsworth, and I'd stop in to talk cars with him, whenever I was in town. I'm sorry to hear of his death. He was one really nice guy!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correction, that is 5/25 and not 5/28.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What this doesn't say is that Mike was a Veteran and they have not caught the people that killed him as of yet:

"WOOSTER -- Michael D. Braatz, 70, passed away Sunday, May 20, 2012, from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.

He was honorably discharged from the U.S. Air Force and spent 36 years at Boys' Village as a recreation therapist, counselor, child care administrator and foster care manager. He currently had been a residential coordinator at S.T.E.P.S. in Wooster, since 2004.

He was a member of Wooster Exchange Club and was a volunteer at the Salvation Army.

Mike never met a stranger and had a unique way of making everyone he knew feel special. Countless people have found peace and solace in their lives through Mike's special combination of wisdom and guidance. The world has lost a gentle giant and a beacon of light and love.

Surviving are a brother, Robert (Patty) Braatz of Florida; a cousin, Bruce (Rita) Backhurst of Canton; nieces, Laura (Tim) Foiles and her children, David and Katelyn of Ocala, Fla., and April (Ryan) Hodge and her children, Adam, Erin and Victoria of Panama City, Fla.; a nephew, Heath Cobb of Miami, Fla.; and a special friend, Mary Halloran of Wadsworth.

Mike had many friends and associates whose lives have been touched by knowing him.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Milford and Edith.

A celebration of his life will be Friday, May 25 at 6:30 p.m. at Gault Family Center on the Boys' Village Campus.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Boys' Village Network, P.O. Box 518, Smithville 44677.

Wackerly Funeral Home in Canton (Wackerly Funeral Home - Canton, OH), is assisting the family."

The Memorial was very touching with about 200 in attendance.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com