LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     
Default Don't want to be a party pooper

With all of the talk about the incident in Tenessee, has any consideration been given to the rides down Main Street? Maybe they should be substituted for more calm rides. I know there is another thread on this. I most likely will not be able to make it to London this year. If the rides do go on, please, everyone be safe and responsible!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I don't think too much needs to change...just keep spectators BEHIND the burnout spot or far away from the sides of the action. Horrible what happened to the TN kids...darn sure don't want a repeat in a Cobra somewhere!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427W
Not Ranked     

I am sure the guys in Ohio will rethink this event and do everything in their power to make it safe.

Roger
Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile burn outs

I don't think we will have a Funny Car doing a burn out in London. If you watch the video from last year, I think you will agree that we have a safe area that is controlled by the OCC and the London Police.

Dwight
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBuoy
With all of the talk about the incident in Tenessee, has any consideration been given to the rides down Main Street? Maybe they should be substituted for more calm rides. I know there is another thread on this. I most likely will not be able to make it to London this year. If the rides do go on, please, everyone be safe and responsible!
Not much more has been on our mind or lips of recent. Tragic what happened in TN. We made changes after last year and after MUCH discussion have made/considered/considering more. I can not guarentee 100% safety evertime I step in the shower but I can guarentee that during the burnouts in London, no car will scream down the 'strip' and go flying in a crowd. Simple because people are not allowed 'down wind' of the launch area. London was great about enforcing that last year. They shut down a time or two to be sure. Plus, this year we cut the length by a good 500 feet because the speed was in our opinion, to high.

The comparison is natural. Even prudent.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, I have been there in years past, and did not make it last year. It sounds like keeping everyone away downwind is prudent. I love the trips down main street, but with all of the publicity about TN, was wondering if things were rethought, and it sounds like they were and everyone feels comfortable. I will not be there this year, but I hope you guys can be the model of how things like this SHOULD be done. Wish I could make it, but family first!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carbon Fiber Body, IRS
Not Ranked     

Being one that only uses Cobras on road courses, the idea of burning rear tires at a car show or anywhere else is a mystery to me. Having said that I've surely rumbled feathers.

However if anyone cares about the result of a brilliant Cobra owner filming his burnouts last month, check out May 10, 2007 on FFCobra. The topic is "MISHAP..need help" or "please help."
Old 06-19-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

The parade incident is an awful and tragic example of the danger and folly of doing hard launches and high speed passes on public roads or anywhere in close proximity to unprotected people, property and immovable objects. This is indisputable fact with numerous corroborating anecdotes, incidents and videos, etc. to support it.
Equating this, however, to simple, brief burnouts and rolling it out as a basis for condemnation of "burning out" in general is, to me, missing the lesson and more than a bit reactionary. Having enough power in a car to smoke its tires is (along with many other things) a basic part of the the whole muscle car culture. Anyone who owns a car like a Cobra and has never spun the rear tires anywhere outside of a racetrack or strip is a rare breed indeed (that's some Shakesparian prose right there) and correct from a fundamentally legal and moral point of view, but that does not make everyone else who has occasionally lit 'em up subject to their judgement as a menace to society. Like going a bit over the speed limit, it's all about judgement, intelligence and responsibility. The type of person who will race all out on the street or launch hard enough to lose control of the car has a problem and cannot be trusted with anything that can be dangerous if misused - like cars, firearms, powerboats, golfcarts and Segways; but making a bit of noise and smoke in a controlled, part throttle launch once in a while is not the end of the world. Is it noisy, smelly, antisocial, irreverent and obnoxious to others? Absolutely. But so is owning a Cobra.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-19-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Go to Youtube.com and search for "Shelby Cobra". There's a video of a guy stuffing his Cobra into the wall during a burnout. I think the guy snapped an axle in his rear end, and the remaining driving wheel turned the car and stuffed it into the wall.

I'm not sure what happened in TN, but I'm willing to bet it was some sort of mechanical failure that sent that car out of control.

My point is this: you can be a brilliant driver, have great mechanics, a stupendous car, and still kill/injure spectators if something breaks. TN showed this. Any event insurance carrier is going to be scrutinizing these events.

I enjoy a good burn-out. Humans are not known for their common sense (i.e. "Stay back away from the loud, fast-moving, slightly out-of-control 2200 lbs. machine..") We need to build common sense into the events to protect the spectators.

My sympathies to the families that lost loved ones or suffered injuries during that tragic event. Lives were cut way too short.

My sympathy to the owner/driver, as well, who I am sure feels awful having played a part in the untimely deaths of young lives. As well as the event coordinator, whom set this up as a charitable event.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For those of you who still think it is OK to do street burnouts at a car show I have a list of good reason/excuses that you can use.
Top ten reasons for doing burnouts at car shows.
1. Get to show off to people I don't even know.
2. No risk of making contact with Armco in case of mishap.
3. Don't have to wear one of those stupid safety helmets.
4. Get to take ignorant people for thrill ride.
5. No stupid safety inspections to deal with.
6. Get a chance to give a hot chick a ride something that will never happen in real life.
7. Don't have to worry about somebody being faster than me.
8.Chance to rev my engine way up to 4,000 rpms.(WOW)
9. I can run open headers on the street.
10. Maybe somebody will video my run and put the video on You Tube.

Or you could use some common sense and let some other Bozo be the idiot.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 351Cleveland
Not Ranked     

There was an idea floating around last year that someone suggested as an alternative (addition) to the burn-outs provide a mild drive around the surrounding town. Some folks might rather have the ride just to experience the Cobra. I bring this up in case the town of London cancels the burn-outs (they have a stake in this). This will still provide benefit money for Cystic Fibrosis.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Burnout?

I did not see one "burnout" all day at the 2006 London Cobra Show. What is everyone talking about? I must have missed the burnout area...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I have watched many of the vids from the london car show and I really dont know if i would call them "burnouts" They were more like "hard launches" I find that when you "launch out of the hole" in a well setup Cobra it doesnt really "burnout" in the sense of the word. I know my car hooks up so darn good that it takes alot to "burnout" I on the other hand have a 67 Mustang that I have launched and done a "burnout" as well and Im glad Im dont drive it as much or I would be buying alot of tires LOL and..... its quite easy...sooo hummmm. Not quite sure what to think of this. I do agree that things happen and really I have not heard of people dying from "burnouts at controlled shows....but I have heard of alot of "street racing: deaths and hate to say it but by alot of ricers not muscle cars. Thoughts?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, let's cancell everything, will that keep you guys happy ? You guys and your "suggestions" are pathetic. S... happens every day. Live life with safety and common sense. Have any of you looked at the stats about how many people die on any of our hoildays ? Has anyone suggested that all of the "burnout" drivers be tested for their ability to control their Cobras? How many skateboarders were treated at hospitals last year ? Do you drive after consuming a few beers ? How many beers did you have at the baseball game and then you got into your car and drove home? Perhaps the OCC could erect a bulletproof and shatter proof barrier between the spectators and the Cobras. Maybe, if you can't control your Cobra you might consider parking it until you get some instruction in really driving it. A mild drive around town is just what the passenger wants ! Yea sure. Do you really think that they are paying the money for a "drive around town " ??? Can everyone tune their TV's to the Cops channel and we can watch the incompetent drivers crash their cars. Buzz said it best, judgement, intelligence, and responsibility. John PS. I will be there this weekend.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I questioned whether they have rethought the trips down main street, and it sounds like they did, so enough said. I did not mean to suggest they cancel it. If there are not innocent bystanders along the strip, there should be no risk. The London police keeps a close eye and shuts things down if they are concerned, and I have seen them do this in the past. Everyone just please be extra safe, and make this the example of such events! I do think the casual rides would be great. These were done one year at the state park, and they were nice. Wish I could be there!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

What's this stuff about "mild drives" or "casual rides"? Is this why people buy/build/ or ride in Cobras? I'm coming to London to see/hear/feel/smell Cobras, not to be in some mamby pamby geriatric safety video. And this is from a guy who always wears a helmet on his bike and motorcycle; I'm far from Evel Knievil (sp?). When I looked around at what I wanted to do to check out different Cobras and saw what the OCC guys were doing in London I knew I had to join in. It reminded me of how SAAC conventions used to be. They had an edge just like the London show does now. Don't get me wrong everybody, what happened in TN was tragic and more to the point entirely preventable without killing the mood of the event. That's what I hope happens in London. Keep the fun (Cobra style) and everyone just use your melon.

Steve
Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is always one of those topics that no one will ever please all the people all the time. It is also a situation where you can never guarentee 100% safety... of course I am not aware of any activity where you can guartetee that. We have considered every possibility from canceling, to cruising rides, to doing nothing and feel we have come up with the best compromise. Shorter distances, lower speeds, no spectators beyond the start of the ride, special drivers meetings, constant supervision (you get out of hand in the least little way and you will be told to park it by the police with our complete backing) by people that make their living in public safety, fully equiped emergency service in attendance (EMT, Fire and Police). Can something still happen to the driver and passenger? Sure. They could hit a tree, curb, maybe even a house. Is the risk of this happening greater then if they where cruising along at 35? I would say so. Is that risk so great that all those involved feel it is eminent? No, which is why at this point, the rides go on. Now of course, if it looks like all the planning and steps taken to reduce the risk are nor working then the rides will stop.

Personally, I don't mind one bit those that point out the risk of these sort of activities. For me, it keeps me thinking of what I am doing, to take it very seriously and to constantly be mindful of the risk that is being taken. The comments I do mind are the ones made with out all the information. Fortuniately, those are rare.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Rick, having been there before, when the London event was under previous management, I commend you for removing all spectators to a place behind the launch point. I did personally witness one very scary incident, which was within a few feet of being potentially tragic. Obviously, you've minimized the risk to a reasonable level.

Now, you just have to watch for things like those who may have spent too much time in Jim's Bar on the wrong side of the tracks.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfoushee
Rick, having been there before, when the London event was under previous management, I commend you for removing all spectators to a place behind the launch point. I did personally witness one very scary incident, which was within a few feet of being potentially tragic. Obviously, you've minimized the risk to a reasonable level.

Now, you just have to watch for things like those who may have spent too much time in Jim's Bar on the wrong side of the tracks.
Thanks Clay. Many of the changes have been in place for a while. Long before TN happened. Even last year they enforced the no spectators beyond the lauch area, this year of course there will be more of a focus on that. The decision to shorten the area was made last year. The 'board' is getting together again Thursday evening to discuss this even further to make sure we keep risk to a minimum.

As for Jim's bar.... the idea of turning the burnouts into a drinking game was quickly shot down Drinking and burnouts is strickly forbidden!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com