Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM-2016. 427W, TKO600, 3.50
Not Ranked     
Default Why is LSC forum so quiet?

I am new to this craziness and I have narrowed my kit choice down to four...Unique, Factory Five, Lone Star and ERA. Just wondering...I went to LSC's web page and the forum hasn't had a post in a long time and then on her the forum hasn't had a post in a couple of months. Either this is because they build a stellar product that goes together really easily or there isn't a lot of interest in their products. Just curious? Does anyone know why? I have to admit, that it makes me nervous about purchasing when there has not been any recent activity on an of their associated forums.
SteveCarey likes this.

Last edited by aarvig; 02-19-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Old 02-20-2015, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC 427GT, 461
Not Ranked     

I am currently building one of their new models, it is an easy build with no issues so far. Brian is extremely helpful and when I do post a question several of the members will answer quickly. I would highly recommend them if you are looking for car that is well designed. The changes that they made with their latest car is impressive.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have one of Lone Star's early models. 42,000 miles on it now. I love the 4" inside the interior. Trunk does not leak in the rain. The bottom of the hood is finished (smooth) I like that. Interior tube molded to the body, as well as the trunk. No air or water leaks.

We have several of the Unique in our group, great cars. IRS rear ends, interior and trunk molded to the body.

ERA very close to the looks of the original. I've never worked on a ERA so what I know about them is what I have read on the forums.

FFR large support onsite support group. The lightest of four.

Price? you can spend the same amount on any of the four. Base cost of the kit may be different but the total cost will be the same or about the same.

The four that you are looking at are all great cars. Each is different. You can not go wrong with any of them.

IMHO
Dwight
Old 02-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a Lone Star body on a custom frame and as Dwight said it is good. No leaks ( and I have been caught in the rain ). If you go with the LS, I recommend steel pipes and paint them if you are going to drive the car.

The ceramics are nice, but every thing that can melt on the pipes - will.

Just my $.02

Tru
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

I have ceramic headers and side pipes. Love them. They remove a lot of heat from the engine bay. Ceramic cool quicker to the touch that any other sidepipes. Stainless and chrome stay hot for a very long time.

After a couple of minutes I can touch my sidepipes. Which is great at car shows/cruises when kids and adults get to close to the car.

You can use aluminum polish ( stuff for rims) to polish the pipes to a shine and to clean off road crud. In the rain, everything burns onto the pipes.

Dwight
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I had two sets and after working overtime to get plastic bags off of the collector, I went with Brian's new design with the angled flange. Best thing I could have done.

Gave me like 2 inches extra. I still have the ceramic pipes, just not the sides.

Now, I media blast the collector area and spray the pipes. Works fine.

Just remember, each guy on here has his car the way he likes it. Dwight has the ceramics, I have the flat black. There are chrome and stainless...pick what YOU like.

Tru
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

I've never had to scrap plastic bags off mine but I have deer meat and road trash. Lots of elbow grease

I've heard you can get the pipes hot and then scrap with a piece of wood to get most of the plastic off.

Dwight
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

aarvig are you going to build your Cobra? or buy used?

Dwight
Old 02-20-2015, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

TO: aarvig,

I had a factory built Lone Star for 12 years, I now have a 289 ERA slabside. Extremely better the workmanship is far superior to say the least.

desgros@vtlink
289 ERA #3010 slabside
Old 02-20-2015, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

As for why the LSC forums are slow, not really sure. Most of us are here too. If I have a specific Lonestar question, I start there, and usually get a good response. However, if it is a general cobra question, I start here.

A guess as to why the LSC forums are slow - just a guess - perhaps they've had a few slow months/years so maybe there aren't as many current builds going on. Again, just a guess. They may have had the best three years in their history... When I built mine from 2010-2012, I was always on, asking questions or searching - and always got a good response. Lots of archived information there.

I usually check there once a week or so, but like you said, not much going on right now.

And, I agree with what has been said. I would not hesitate to buy their kit. The extra leg room is great. They recently "redesigned" their kit, going over everything, improving the quality and fitment. It's apparently a much easier build now that when I did mine. They call the new body style a 427GT instead of the LS427.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 02-20-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

For one, I think they've been regrouping and retooling with the new body and stuff. Also, the guys now building just are not as much of exhibitionist as when I was building 3-5 years ago. We're all out happily driving out cars. I check in every few days, but have nothing to really add.

Edit add-

I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Brian is a stand up guy and once you have the kit, you really don't need their support. All of the parts other than the frame and body itself are standard generic off the shelf hot rod parts. But that's not to say he won't provide you the support you think you need. The sealed unibody tub is nice, quiet, cool and water tight, and the extra length is a huge plus. If you plan to fully upholster it rather than leaving exposed aluminum panels on the interior, the vinyl ester sealed up body tub is way better. Not authentic, but better in every other way.

Last edited by Luce; 02-20-2015 at 04:00 PM..
Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM-2016. 427W, TKO600, 3.50
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
aarvig are you going to build your Cobra? or buy used?

Dwight
Dwight,
I am definitely going to build. My boys and I are going to make it a father sons project. I just ruled out the unique brand...good product but don't like the body lines. I love the ERA. Sweet body, but a 60K for finished, I'm just not interested. Its between the Lone Star and the Factory Five. I'm leaning towards the Factory Five just becuase of availability of information and support. However, I could tell Brian was a stand up guy the minute I talked to him on the phone. I'm wishing I could see these two cars side by side.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

lots of different between the two.
Look at both closely and chose the one you like best.

It would be better if you could see both.

Dwight
Old 02-21-2015, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I spent many hours on phone and internet researching which option was best for me. I like to go overboard with research so I have no regrets. That being said I went with Factory Five .Two main reasons stand out. One is the Frame,it is developed with a racing history .It has seen track action . Second to me is company stability. I like to feel confident my manufacture will be around for awhile. I really like the idea that the frame is the main structure and not the body. Im sure Lone Star is a great option as well ,being in business 23 years I'm sure they are doing it right. No matter which option you go with ,your driving a Cobra and it dont get any better .
Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

The Lonestar is slightly larger than the Factory Five, bigger cockpit and wider across the back. Also, the resale value of Lonestars tend to be higher, as you rarely see one up for sale.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC 427GT, 461
Not Ranked     

There were several reasons that I went with the lone star kit. For one, I am doing something unique with my build a Brian and his team have been very accommodating. The new 427GT has a lot of refinements and the suspension is impressive. The new GT has an independent rear option that is well thought out and is solid, what is nice it uses all new parts, you aren't getting used or rebuilt parts and there is nothing you have to source yourself it is all supplied. The body is solid, there is nothing flimsy about even the smallest part, all the panels like the hood, doors, and trunk are smooth inside and out, the body seams are the best that I have seen anywhere. I did the initial block sanding on the body and there was minimal work anywhere. I have been extremely pleased with the choice of this car, Brian knows these cars and can really help if you want to do something unique.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you look at what you get, the Lone Star is less expensive than the FFR, and as stated, resale value is usually higher. The Lone star frame is the sructucture of the car. When it's been referred to as unibody, that's not to say the body is a structural element, but rather the body and the interior tub are bonded together rather than all of the aluminum panels.

Also, the LSC IRS is heads and shoulders above the FFR. It uses the 2000 or so Explorer components and is much more readily available and tougher than the last of the bone yard scrap Tbird refuse. Give it a look.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

That new IRS which Luce developed, and Lonestar now sells, is very very nice. I would certainly recommend it for any new builds.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, I'm a little biased. lol. But I'm not on a licensing agreement or anything. They can sell the one they sold or 2000, and its the same to me. I designed it for myself, but decided they needed it.

When I was looking for a Cobra, on must have was IRS. Lone Star was my choice over all the others, except for that one big problem. I studied their frame and a few race car suspension design books for about 6 months, then the Locost forum and a few others and decided I could do this, and did. I also spent a lot of time deconstructing the T bird and Jag IRS designs and didn't like some of the compromises and ways forces were applied, and came up with my own true double wishbone.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I never really cared for the T bird or Jag IRS which is why I have a 3-link in my FFR. I can see if having an IRS is important to a buyer than that new design in the Lonestar is a nice option.

What's the weight difference between a FFR and a Lonestar?