Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 350/385 hp Chev "Fast Burn"
Not Ranked     
Default 4/5 point harness

What is the best way to mount the shoulder straps on a 4 point harness? (Lone star 427)
I would like to install harnesses for both seats.

Thanks in advance

Don

Please respond to dbaker4@hotmail.com
Old 04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Wink Best way?

I think the best way is to make a metal bracket that attaches to the frame through the trunk. Attach the belts to the metal bracket.
The way I did it, drill a hole through the glass and mount to a 6"X6" piece of plate steel. it works but not totaly secure! Also watch out for your seats hitting the back of the compartment. I cut mine near the top where the glass is sharp inside of the seat.
I am sure that lone star has a fix for this issue.

L8R,
Brian
Old 04-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK here comes the controversy.

4 point harness is MORE dangerous than a standard lap/shoulder belt combo. There are studies to show this. But if you just stop and think about it it becomes clear.

You cannot cinch up the shoulder straps without inadvertently pulling the lap belt high upon your belly. AWAY from your lower hip area where a standard lap belt stays.

When you move forward in an accident with the four point the lap belt will literally "gut you" as you submarine under it. Safer to wear no belt at all than a 4 point.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb 5 point......

This is why I use a 5 point on the track. The center strap keeps the lap belt from riding up when you tighten everything down. If it comes down to it these cars do not offer to much protection against Soccer Mom and her 5 ton SUV

Keep it above 100.............

Brian
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I agree with Ernie. I'm being hypocritical, because I need to get around to putting the 5th point in, but it is a really good idea. Make sure you mount the belts securely to the frame. Probably should ask Lone Star for best point on frame and if any mods need to be made.

So where are you guys mounting the crotch strap?

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.

Last edited by klayfish; 04-29-2004 at 06:55 AM..
Old 04-29-2004, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 5th point

I mounted mine through the center frame rail in my Lone Star just in front of the seat. It made a huge differance when you clamp down and become one with the car. Now if I can just find a place to strap my legs down to keep them from hittin the sides of the car?
I do not think you have the same option on a FFR to mount the seat belt through the center frame rail, it may be only sheet metal??

Brian
Old 04-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

I had 1/4" by 6" plate welded to the frame rails under the seats about in mid shoulder/hip line. Drilled through the seat bottom and plate there is just enough room under both seats to fish the strap and mounting plate then bolted them in with grade 8 bolts and nylocks. Sounds easy but is a pain because I had to pull them a couple of times and reinstall after making length adjustments on the strap. My seat belts were a problem as there was no possible way to weld in a plate due to the frame design, so I used about 1/4" x 6'' x 10'' plate for each side of the belt bonded to the cockpit tub with epoxy and then drilled holes for the belt attachments. Only way I could figure out how to do it and have it secure, figured if it came to "down" it would have to tear through 1/4'' of fibreglas the length of the plate before letting go. I hope.
My shoulder belts are "Y" type and there were attachment points built into the frame for this type and they come up through the trunk deck.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I agree with Earnie, et al on this. You should have an anti-submarine set up. 5 point, or you can go 6 point. I just changed to 6 point on my race car, and my Cobra has a 5 point. 6 point uses a plate under the seat cushion and required slits in the foam/seat cover. I fastened just the lap belt on my SPF as it had 4 point. Then again, the belts may be the least of our worries in the unlikely event...

However, we could debate which is better: to submarine under, or do a face plant into a wood/aluminum wheel.