17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Local Long Island painter

I was thinking about painting my car myself given the high cost of having it done locally. As a last resort before I try it, does anyone know of anyone good who paints on the side - maybe works in a body shop full time and does side work?

I'd prep the whole car myself, all this guy would have to do is spray primer and paint. I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd give a shout on here before I dive into it this winter. If it helps, I'm in no rush. I'll have the body off, and he can take his time with the body at his place - he'd be doing me a favor and getting it out of my way while I work on the chassis.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

You can give Keith a call at K&M in Deer park. It's a small shop run by 2 brothers just behind Mustang Magic on Skidmore Ave.....off Bayshore Rd. Keith has done 6 FFR bodies from the ground up which I'm sure are more of a glass challenge than your Contemporary body. He did mine in '99 incl all the headlamp/louver and sidepipe cutouts. He's also done Classic Roadster body work. It's not a drive in customer shop. Much of his work comes from dealerships and larger insurance shops. Work quality is excellent. Keith is a down to earth humble guy. Leaving the body over time just how he'd like to work it. With Keith there's a noticeable degree of personal pride in his own work. Painters like that may not prefer to spray a raw glass body they did not prep. Keith works strictly with fiberglass, no fillers. When he did the final seams etc.on my FFR body he'd bake the entire body or cure it under plastic wrap in the sun a few days . Then he'd fine sand/fill those miniature craters on the entire body 2 more times before primer. I doubt your Contemporary would require as much attention as my older MK1 FFR did in '99.
Tel# 631-243-2608. If you drop by to speak with him my name is Jim Marotta.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

I also got my car painted at K&M.
Go through my photo gallery to see the job they did.
They have done a bunch of cobras so they know how to work them. I was turned on to them by Joe of Mustang Magic and reinforced by Jim (above) – Tell them Nick sent ya!
24 Skidmore Road, Deer Park just north of Bay Shore Road
Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would either of you guys mind sending me a PM to give me an idea of what he charged you?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nick,
Were you in the red FFR on the Lime Rock run this year? I was the guy riding along with Tony A. Your car looks great, I'd be more than happy with a paint job that looks that good. You've got a beautiful car.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

What I paid in 1999 may not be relevent today. But you are welcome to drop by and take a look at the car as it looks after 8 seasons...minus the stone chips of course ! Mustang Magic also built my motor .
EM sent.

Last edited by JAM1775; 11-26-2007 at 05:27 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

That was me!
I had bodywork & paint - it depends on what you have done.
Give Keith a call - he will be happy to give you an idea. They do take pride in what they do - so ask them about home body work vs them and what they would need to do before paint.
Nick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: