17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default Interesting drive this morning....

Stopped in town this morning at the Thorntons to get a Mt. Dew and some pecan swirls...

I left and the on-ramp here runs parallel to the interstate for about 2 miles before you merge onto it. You go through 2 stop lights before merging.

It was about 5:45 AM, mostly dark outside. There was a guy in a Honda Accord driving in the other lane beside of me on the passenger side. He stopped short of the red light and as I rolled by, he was looking over at me shouting through his window. I thought it was strange, but the light turned green and I went on.

At the next light, I stop and he's still on my passenger side. He rolls up short of the light, and I look over at him. He's creeping up along side of my Explorer slowly, staring into it.

I open my console, grab my Sig out of the holster, chamber a round, click the safety on, then hold it between my legs out of sight.

He continues to creep on up and he's staring right into my passenger window shouting and cussing at the top of his lungs. So I just roll down the window and say, "What's wrong there buddy?" He replies, "Nothing wrong, why do you ask?" I answer, "Because you've been staring into my truck screaming and cussing at me." He asks, "Does that bother you?"

At this point, I'm thinking what would happen if I pull the gun up to the window and ask, "Does this bother you?" But I digressed....

I answer him one last time, "No it doesn't bother me, but I must be awfully good lookin if you break your neck trying to look in here constantly."

He called me a nice slang term for a homosexual, starts cussing again, and then the light turns green. So I roll off, hop on the interstate, and keep driving.

I would bet money that he was either drunk, on drugs, or both.

I sure am glad I have a concealed carry permit though. I just don't feel safe out on the streets in the dark without a handgun anymore.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

.. or maybe he was off his meds. Maybe it wasn't really you he was yelling at as much as it was the four little green men he thought he saw riding with you.

Reminds me of a few guys I have seen on the streets over the years. They can't tolerate the side effects of their meds, so they would rather live homeless instead. This guy sounds like maybe he's been there, or headed there real soon.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Probably on the cell phone with the wife.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I sure am glad I have a concealed carry permit though. I just don't feel safe out on the streets in the dark without a handgun anymore.
I've been aiming to get my concealed carry permit; your post reminds me that I need to get this done (i.e., register and take class).

Sounds like an interesting and unexpected start to your day; glad to hear that you didn't need to use your Sig.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

You did right by not showing your gun,just having it ready to go.

This is one of the reasons that you don't need a CHL to carry a handgun in your car in Texas.Just have to be 18 and a few other minor things.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

It's like life insurance...you don't want it to be triggered (not sure if that's a pun or not), but you're glad it's there when you need it.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I would suggest keeping a round chambered. In the heat of the moment having that round ready to go might be the difference between life and death.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

..This really is a different world to me!!!!!!....are things REALLY that bad over there??
So life really does imitate art...thanks Hollywoood!!!!
Thank good I live in the Lucky country!!!..

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
..This really is a different world to me!!!!!!....are things REALLY that bad over there??
Not at all. Violent crime has been dropping every year.

People tend to be more polite and diplomatic when they know the person they would like to do harm to will kill them if they try.

Last edited by 392cobra; 05-25-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: can't spell for chit
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Bite us.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Maybe it was tourettes !!!

________
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have no clue what was wrong with the guy.

He definitely had his head stuck way out the window in my direction. It got my attention.

I would feel naked without a handgun in the car now.

My dad was riding his motorcycle about a month ago. He had pulled off the road in an industrial park and was waiting for some other motorcycle buddies to meet up with him so they could go ride.

While he was waiting, an old van pulled up with about 3 guys in it. One of the guys got out and walked up to Dad. He asked Dad if he had any cash, he needed some gas money. Dad told him that he only had a debit card, no cash. At that point, the other two guys in the van started opening the door and stirring around. The guy that was nearest to Dad said, "Well, there's 3 of us here and we're pretty desperate...."

Dad also has a CCW permit. Fortunately he was carrying and when the guy made that last statement, Dad eased the pistol out of his pocket and followed up with, "I suggest you get back in your van before I blow your hindend off..."

Dad was telling me this and it really made me hurt inside that he was all alone and was really outnumbered. Dad used to be a stout guy but after a back surgery and a hip replacement, I don't think he could hold his own anymore, especially against several guys.

Dad told me that he honestly felt that the guy's words were of a threatening tone and I believe him. I'm glad it ended peacefully. Dad and I both shoot trap, skeet, USPSA, and benchrest rifle. I have no doubt that he would have hit what he was aiming for, but you definitely don't want to be in that kind of situation.

As for carrying my P238 cocked and locked, if it's on my person I will. However, when I carry it in the console (like if I have to run a lot of errands to the bank, post office, etc.), it's not chambered. It's in a holster, but I guess it's the OCD in me that's worried something will rattle around, jar around, or hit it in some way.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Is this more of a southern thing? Friends of mine in southern states swear by keeping a weapon in the car, but I don't know if I have ever had a friend say that from a northern state (including friends that own and don't own guns).

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got my CCDW permit because I have to carry lots of cash sometimes. After I see and hear of so many idiots out there, I'm even more glad that I have one.

I heard a recent story of a guy who was pumping gas. His young daughter was still in the SUV and his wife had gone in to buy some drinks/snacks.

A guy runs up, shoots him, then jumps in the SUV and proceeds to take off with his daughter inside. Fortunately, the guy was armed and shot through the window and killed the guy.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Stopped in town this morning at the Thorntons to get a Mt. Dew and some pecan swirls...

I left and the on-ramp here runs parallel to the interstate for about 2 miles before you merge onto it. You go through 2 stop lights before merging.

It was about 5:45 AM, mostly dark outside. There was a guy in a Honda Accord driving in the other lane beside of me on the passenger side. He stopped short of the red light and as I rolled by, he was looking over at me shouting through his window. I thought it was strange, but the light turned green and I went on.

At the next light, I stop and he's still on my passenger side. He rolls up short of the light, and I look over at him. He's creeping up along side of my Explorer slowly, staring into it.

I open my console, grab my Sig out of the holster, chamber a round, click the safety on, then hold it between my legs out of sight.

He continues to creep on up and he's staring right into my passenger window shouting and cussing at the top of his lungs. So I just roll down the window and say, "What's wrong there buddy?" He replies, "Nothing wrong, why do you ask?" I answer, "Because you've been staring into my truck screaming and cussing at me." He asks, "Does that bother you?"

At this point, I'm thinking what would happen if I pull the gun up to the window and ask, "Does this bother you?" But I digressed....

I answer him one last time, "No it doesn't bother me, but I must be awfully good lookin if you break your neck trying to look in here constantly."

He called me a nice slang term for a homosexual, starts cussing again, and then the light turns green. So I roll off, hop on the interstate, and keep driving.

I would bet money that he was either drunk, on drugs, or both.

Soo,tell me again, which block before all this happened was it that you cut the poor guy in the Honda off and then flipped him off to boot????

Quote:
Not at all. Violent crime has been dropping every year.

People tend to be more polite and diplomatic when they know the person they would like to do harm to will kill them if they try.
dats right......
Here in good ole Louisiana we have the "shoot the burglar" bill which basically says you can use deadly force to protect yourself or anyone else on your property and the bad guy doesn't have to be in your house.....if he's threatening you in your front yard, you can shoot him...it's been tested in court a number of times and the good guy always won!!!!!!!
David
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I got my CCDW permit because I have to carry lots of cash sometimes. After I see and hear of so many idiots out there, I'm even more glad that I have one.

I heard a recent story of a guy who was pumping gas. His young daughter was still in the SUV and his wife had gone in to buy some drinks/snacks.

A guy runs up, shoots him, then jumps in the SUV and proceeds to take off with his daughter inside. Fortunately, the guy was armed and shot through the window and killed the guy.
Yup...given my involvment in labor disputes (I be the bad guy representing the employers), not having something handy would be like leaving my zipper down.

Even worse are folks that want to kill the moderator.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What do you carry, Ron?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent,
Which Sig P238 do you have ? Those are fine looking guns. Looks to be as easy to tear down as the 1911 they resemble.

I carry a Colt Combat Elite 1911, .45 ACP or a S&W 649,.357mag. Depending on what I'm wearing.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred, I don't remember the model number, but it's the SS frame/slide with the black plastic grips. No rails or any other options....just night sights. It shoots like a champ....one of the best shooting compacts I've ever had. Very tight groups....loves to shoot HydraShoks.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like the P238 HD to me. Beautiful weapon !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: